Miller 250 Twin
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Miller 250 Twin

Miller 250 Twin

I have my eye on a 250 Twin (with the crank on the front).

The specs are:
    On Low setting, 50% duty cycle at 200 amps/28 volts.

I hope to hear that I can run this machine on my 40 amp circuit.
    The line was installed for a welder, and is < 1 foot from the panel (don't know if that figures in or not).

Any help?

Thanks

Bill

Re: Miller 250 Twin

Manual from Miller.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o313_mil.pdf

Looks like it's going to depend on whether or not the machine has the power factor correction caps installed or not. Input at rated amps (200) is 70 amps without the PFC's installed, and 50 amps with the PFC's. Chances are if the PFC's are in the machine, you can get away at using the machine below 200 amps and not trip the breaker. Without the PFC's it's going to be iffy even at minimal amps.

Since it sounds like this is a new install, why not put in a bigger breaker with the correct wire and go with a bigger breaker? 2-3 feet of wire won't break the bank. The breaker won't be inexpensive, but probably not unreasonable.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Manual from Miller.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o313_mil.pdf

Since it sounds like this is a new install, why not put in a bigger breaker with the correct wire and go with a bigger breaker? 2-3 feet of wire won't break the bank. The breaker won't be inexpensive, but probably not unreasonable.
    I think you are right.
    I will get a 60 to replace the 40 I had installed about a month ago, when I thought I was going to get the blue Harbor Freight Stick/TIG machine.
    ...That was, until I saw this:
    Name:  Miller 250 Twin.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  30.0 KB

I just had to have it!
    I don't even care if it welds. Well, not really true, but I likee.

Hey, that's the wrong color!

Ought to be a law....
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210
    Dirty ugly tools - perfect

I'm not too into modifications, but THAT is SWEET!!!!!!!

I wonder what it looks like on the inside.....

Quote Originally Posted by geezerbill View Post
    I think you are right.
    I will get a 60 to replace the 40 I had installed about a month ago, .
    Make sure the wire is rated to take the load of the new breaker.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Re: Miller 250 Twin WIRE SIZE

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Make sure the wire is rated to take the load of the new breaker.
    My plans may have changed.
    I am thinking of running wire from my box, at he back of the house, to the Garage - at the front.
    Probably 50 - 75 ft., depending on where in the garage I place the receptacle.

I am guessing I may need to keep my output current to about 85% of max, but that should be plenty.

I am sure the guy who is going to do the wiring knows what to use, but for my peace of mind, and potential budgeting purposes:

1. What wire should I use, assuming a 60 amp breaker, and that distance?

2. If the machine maxes at 250 for AC, and 200 for DC, does it draw the same amperage at both settings?

Thanks

1. What wire should I use, assuming a 60 amp breaker, and that distance?
    Thanks
    I'm thinking 75 ft of 6/2.

I believe 6/2 will allow you to still run a 60 amp breaker for a welder. I think when you jump up to 70 amps you need to go to 4 ga copper.

http://www.groverelectric.com/howto/...%20Wattage.pdf

Ronald Reagan

I'm thinking 75 ft of 6/2.
    You want three conductor like 8/3 or 6/3. I used 8/3 on my Idealarc because that is what the manual recomends and it's what I had. But I only have about fifty feet in total the 8/3 extension cord I use for other equipment. You may need the 6/3 with 75 ' length.

If it's 6/2 with ground and it's just for 240 Volt, you should be OK if you use 75°C or better rated wire.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

3 conductor is used for 230v CORD, like if you need to replace the cord from the machine to the wall or if you want to make an extension cord. It's stranded for flexibility and the number of wires designates the total number of wires.

Wire on the other hand like Romex, usually leaves out the ground as a given. 6/2 wire would have 2 6 ga conductors, and a ground, usually slightly less than the conductors in size. 6/3 would have 3 conductors and a ground. It's usually called for in newer 230v appliances that use both 230v and 110v power. You end up with 2 hots, a neutral same size as the hots and a ground. Wire is typically solid and used for running in walls. the solid wires don't take well to being coiled and uncoiled, because it causes the copper to work harden and crack, causing a short.

If you are running wire in the wall, you will want 6/2 (with ground) wire. If you are choosing instead to do an extension cord, then yes you would want some 6/3 cord instead. It's important to understand the use the "wire" is going to be used for so you get the right stuff.

8ga may or may not be suitable for that draw. Code does allow wires to be undersized due to the duty cycle on a welder. However I usually error on the side of caution when recommending wire gauges. A bigger wire doesn't cost all that much more and won't hurt you. Running an undersized wire/cord, especially over a long distance, can cause a fire if you don't get it right. I've melted a few extension cords over the years that were supposedly rated for the draw running power tools. Machine gets used longer than typical, air temps are high and the cord is in bright sun, the distance is long and voltage levels are down due to brown outs... It's not all that hard.

Ronald Reagan

I finally got around to picking up a roll of 6/2 that I will run from my 60 amp breaker, through the attic, and down through the garage wall.
    It seems the standard home use welder plugs/ receptacles are 50 amp.
    Is there a 60 amp plug/ receptacle I should look for?

The 50 amp one will work just fine for your application.

Ronald Reagan