CWI Exam
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: CWI Exam

CWI Exam

I have the AWS seminar and exam to follow next week. I have been studying the Welding Inspec. technology and just found the Cert. Manual for Welding Inspec. to study.
    I'm taking the D1.1 code and have been trying to study that also, along with weld symbols.

I'm concerned I'm to broad on the study and not concentrating on more specific subjects. The body of knowledge is kind of vague, has anyone taken it recently or know what I should spend most of my time on? or know where they may be sample questions?

Thanks for your help!

Re: CWI Exam

No help on the questions but the body of knowledge is "wide" as opposed to vague. The topics covered in WIT and The Certifcation Manual for Welding Inspectors should cover the subject matter pretty well .

Since you are attending the seminar, you will probably receive questions for study then.

Gerald

Your right, wide is a better desription.
    I found the chapters CM Certification welding online, but I wasn't able to locate the annex for the answers after the chapters.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14640514/c...tion-Chapter-1

Forgive me for posting the same info on 2 forums but I just discovered this site about an hour ago and I thought others here who may have looked at this thread would find the info useful.

Here is what I posted on another welding forum.

There is an online site that provides online training for CWI's and the individual modules can be purchased. The individual modules are $25.00 . I am going through some now.

http://www.weld-procedure.com/individualclassescwi.html is the site. I think this is an AWESOME way to perform training for the welding related topics.

So far the UT module I am reviewing is great.

Gerald

I think the link you posted may be showing copyrighted information. May be wrong .

yeah expensive too if you bought all of those. certification manual will tell u everything you need to know to pass the 150 question part. code part, pay attention at the seminar and learn to navigate the code very well and disect the questions. a question may be worded something like what is the max weld size on a lap joint subject to tension? this question would be considered a topic that would be in the planning stages perhaps before the welding even began. section 2 would be where you want to turn. have to disect the question and determine what kind of question it is. the hands on, nobody fails that part.

hey API 1104 and D1.1 , Do you know which of the code is easier?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Lloydeo View Post
    yeah expensive too if you bought all of those. certification manual will tell u everything you need to know to pass the 150 question part. code part, pay attention at the seminar and learn to navigate the code very well and disect the questions. a question may be worded something like what is the max weld size on a lap joint subject to tension? this question would be considered a topic that would be in the planning stages perhaps before the welding even began. section 2 would be where you want to turn. have to disect the question and determine what kind of question it is. the hands on, nobody fails that part.

Thanks El....great help.
    Trying to tab the code book the best I can.
    The algebra stuff is a pain too! Ive been studying with CD but it's not the same. Those conversions are baffling to me. My 2 biggest concerns

well api is the same thickness as a playboy magazine, d1.1 is like 10 playboy magazines. take the d1.1 test cause it will better prepare you for this kind of work. plus you cant test on 1104 and still be in the mens club.

I just took the Fundamentals and Practical and fundamental exam from the http://www.weld-procedure.com/ site and it was very good. For someone wanting to check their knowledge level in real time with a 200+ question test, its the place to go. For $25.00 it seems like a deal to be able to try that many questions.

You get real time results and from what I understand, you are sent email results with information related to questions/subject results.

The 9 year renewal package seems good to as you can cover all of the hours needed for renewal and never leave the house.

the hands on, nobody fails that part.

Actually, the majority of failures come from the hands on part. When you're inspecting worn out plastic samples to a set of specifications that would be otherwise unacceptable in the real world, it's very easy to botch that portion of the exam.

guess i got lucky i only missed 3 on that one, i was shocked! lol

How do they (AWS) keep getting away with this?

Quote Originally Posted by RCline View Post
    How do they (AWS) keep getting away with this?
    with what?

with what?
    Training you with old worn out plastic samples

AH! they didnt seem too worn out when i was using them. i really dont see how they can get worn out. its pretty dang hard plastic.

Dear Sir,
    if u have a pdf formate for the latest welding inspector technology latest edition , please send it to me.
    thanks and warm regards,,,

Thanks for all the help in obtaining my CAWI! Im retaking Part B next week, I'm preparing myself a little better this time around since I only have to study for one test. Any tips would be great. I've been studying the VIW manual and the WIT book. What are your thoughts on Son Set Consultants?

Thanks,
    Buck

Quote Originally Posted by wiskybuck View Post
    Thanks for all the help in obtaining my CAWI! Im retaking Part B next week, I'm preparing myself a little better this time around since I only have to study for one test. Any tips would be great. I've been studying the VIW manual and the WIT book. What are your thoughts on Son Set Consultants?

Thanks,
    Buck
    I have spoken with Rick a few times and also evaluated some of the course materials for his online course. I think the cost of the online course modules is pretty good. However studying for the "Practical" is more an issue of becoming familar with the terms and definitions used in visual inspection, understanding the maening of the acceptance criteria, reading the notes, and being confident in your use of the inspection tools.

I think if you were close to Son Set's area, it would be worth a trip for a class there if he has any.

Gerald Austin

I thought the book and the general knowledge where fairly straightforward and halfway easy. The practical was more difficult than I would have thought. DO bring a timepiece in for the test as it is timed and it goes by pretty quick when your concentrating. If they yell time and your not done.... Also i wouldnt challenge any questions until you are totally done either cause it waist's time.
    2011 Dodge 3500 diesel dually
    Lincoln SA-200
    Lincoln SAE-300
    LN-25's
    Lincoln Idealarc R3R
    Miller Trailblazer 302

Wisky - where are you taking the test? I'm doing the seminar right now in Atlanta and taking all 3 parts for the first time Saturday. Right now I'm scrambling to figure out how to make this my only attempt... Part A and Part B don't concern me too much, but man is D1.1 a thick codebook to navigate in 2 hours! My full focus right now is simply trying to get as familiar with where every little bit of info is located in there. I'm really a little disappointed with the focus of the seminar in relation to what I need the most work on. As a welding instructor with a very hands on mechanical engineering background the bulk of the training is covering things I'm used to doing - and it's all stuff easy to study any number of places. The codebook itself, though seems like it should get more focus...

For anyone taking a code exam. You need to know how to search. Use the index to your advantage. In Canada we have 90 minutes to find 30 answers. If you can't find an answer go to the next question. You can go back to those questions later. Good luck.
    CWB Inspector
    Red Seal
    B Pressure
    Arguing with an Inspector is like mudwrestling with a Pig.
    After a while you realize the Pig likes it.