What filler for cracked clothes dryer drum
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

What filler for cracked clothes dryer drum

I have an LG front load clothes dryer that has the common cracked drum weld seam. I took it apart a few years ang and welded it back up with my little MIG, but it developed another crack. The plan this time is to repair with my 200DX, but I am not sure what the best filler would be???

The drum is stainless, but I do not know what kind. I was planning on picking up some small (.030) 308 or 309 today.

Any suggestions?

Re: What filler for cracked clothes dryer drum

are you sure you have a stainless drum? most drums over here (in Europe) are carbon steel that are either electrolytically galvanized or have another coating, but are not solid stainless steel.
    If stainless, I'd guess it will be 316 so I would use 316L rod.

It is stainless. I'll call around and find some small 316L rod.

I will be replacing the drum as soon as I can get the money together for a new one. Until then I can't have this thing tearing up all of our clothes.

When in doubt 309 it out....
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200
    Bunch of old blue dinosaurs....

I'd put my money on 316L, for what it's worth... btw, that's only $0.02 :-)

If it is indeed a stainless drum, I highly doubt it's 316L

T309 filler should be just fine.
    Trailblazer 251
    Dynasty 200DX
    Suitcase Xtreme 12vs
    Carolina HV-12
    Old Delta drill press
    Victor and (old) Craftsman torches
    Mobile work out of a trailer
    ... Still acquiring my fabrication arsenal.

just use 7018 and polish it down if it looks like it might hang up your clothes

I picked up a pound of .035, 309L and got it done. It was hard to go over where I had previously MIG'd it. I won't make that mistake again.

The LG drum sure is stainless but it sure is not 316. It's magnetic. Probably 400 series, which is why it cracks.

The real issue is that the drum rollers soften when hot. Then when the drum cools, they get a flat spot as rollers harden. Now when the machine is started, they thump until they warm up. That thumping causes the cracks. Probably from work hardening.

What you need to do is be sure to set the wrinkle control on every load. Then make sure you do not open the door for several hours after it is done, or pause the cycle before you open the door, then resume it when you close it so the "marching ants" stay on the display. The wrinkle control turns the machine occasionally as it cools, so the rollers don't get flat spots.

Thank you for the tip.
    Do they make better rollers, and should I change them when I get the new drum?

309L is the filler for all unknown steel alloys, stainless or not. Otherwise sil-brazev(45, 50, or 56%) or silicon bronze are also good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    The LG drum sure is stainless but it sure is not 316. It's magnetic. Probably 400 series, which is why it cracks.

The real issue is that the drum rollers soften when hot. Then when the drum cools, they get a flat spot as rollers harden. Now when the machine is started, they thump until they warm up. That thumping causes the cracks. Probably from work hardening.

What you need to do is be sure to set the wrinkle control on every load. Then make sure you do not open the door for several hours after it is done, or pause the cycle before you open the door, then resume it when you close it so the "marching ants" stay on the display. The wrinkle control turns the machine occasionally as it cools, so the rollers don't get flat spots.
    Screw all that! You just convinced me to NEVER buy LG. I'll stick to my 7 year old Kenmore. We abuse the crap out of that machine. Slamming the door, opening it mid-cycle to remove cloths or add more wet cloths etc.... No cracks so far.

I think you're supposed to use coat hanger wire for that.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF View Post
    Do they make better rollers, and should I change them when I get the new drum?
    I do not know. Anecdotally, I have read plenty accounts of people getting drums and rollers replaced, and the thumping returns. If I were you, I would look into it, but AFAIK they do not have an upgraded roller that doesn't get a flat spot when a hot drum is left to stop on it. I'd considered making better rollers myself, but religiously using the "wrinkle care" cycle has completely stopped the thumping, so I have been problem free. A friend with a similar dryer didn't, and ended up with a cracked drum like you.

The sad part is that LG made the claim that their dryer was the quietest in the business, because of their soft rollers that silenced the drum. But those same rollers are their downfall.

My last response was on my phone. At a real keyboard, I can take a sec and spell out the wrinkle care setting a little better for those with the issue:
    Wrinkle care is a cycle that lasts a few hours after the drying cycle. It turns the drum a few times, every few minutes, to tumble the clothes to prevent wrinkles. Doing that also keeps the warm drum from sitting on a roller in a particular orientation for too long.
    Press the wrinkle care button so it lights up, and after the cycle ends, the "marching ants" show up on the display. And every few minutes it will do a tumble.
    Now here's the catch. If you open the door when the machine just finished, it cancels the wrinkle care cycle, because it assumes you took the clothing out.
    So what you need to do is press the pause button before you open the door. Then press it again when you close the door, so the wrinkle care cycle is allowed to finish its course. Once everything is fully cool, the rollers are hard enough to not get a flat spot, so you're good to go from then, and the next cycle, there will be no thumping.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonshineMetals View Post
    Screw all that! You just convinced me to NEVER buy LG. I'll stick to my 7 year old Kenmore. We abuse the crap out of that machine. Slamming the door, opening it mid-cycle to remove cloths or add more wet cloths etc.... No cracks so far.
    Yeah, none of that would hurt the LG. The issue is a design flaw that is well known, but LG adamantly denies it, and gives customers complaining of the problem the runaround until the warranty runs out. Then sells them a $300+ drum (and way more for the total repair bill), that doesn't set it straight anyway.
    That's the reason I would not recommend an LG dryer to anyone. Even if I'm ok with mine, now that I've got a handle on the problem.

BTW, for those not familiar with the issue, when the hot drum sits on the rollers and they cool with a flat spot, for the first 10 minutes or so of the next cycle as it heats up, the machine sounds like someone is pounding on it with a deadblow hammer about twice a second. That's what I mean by thumping. And that is what eventually causes the drum to crack. Why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit over this yet considering how LG has treated their customers, is beyond me.
    Last edited by rlitman; 11-06-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks for the explanation rlitman. More all I have to do is get a new drum and train the wife on the wrinkle care setting.
    Any suggestions on where to get a new drum?

Sorry, no idea. The last time I dealt with the issue was in 2009.
    I just googled it, and it looks like LG recalled cracked drums. Apparently they're replacing the cracked drum for free, but not covering labor.
    What I found says:
    "You can call LG customer service at 1 800 243 0000 for more info."

I bet the drum is 304, and got magnetic when it was cold formed..

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    I bet the drum is 304, and got magnetic when it was cold formed..
    Nah, nothing is really formed on it, except perhaps the dimples. It is a sheet that is rolled into a cylinder, with an end cap welded on. I cannot imagine they used 304, when 400 alloys are available for so much less money.