License plate bracket
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

License plate bracket

After refurbishing a pair of 51 year old plates I could see certain disaster striking the front plate if I left it mounted in it's stock location (like bending over the top of the bumper). Refurbishing the plates took me about 4 hours, so an extra hour to make the bracket seemed like time well spent to place the plate where it's less likely to get bumped. I also think the plate looks better dropped down, slightly below the top of the bumper. Opinions??
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: License plate bracket

I agree, it does look alot better in the center of the bumper, nice lookin restoration from what we can see in the pictures.
    Miller Dynasty 300dx
    Speedglas 9002X
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Lincoln PowerMig 255xt
    Lincoln PowerMig 140c
    Milwuakee Portaband

Looks really good! What's the rest of that rig look like though?!

Yup dropped down imho. looks good. Thats when a chebby was a chebby man Nice ride too!
    Lincoln Ranger 8 Lincoln 175 Drill press
    Lincoln 225 mig
    Plasma
    8 ft brake
    52" jump shear

Hey man, don't tease us with that shot, come on, SHOW THE REST OF THE TRUCK, please

I don't have a recent photo of the (almost but never will be finished) restoration so I'll take some tomorrow when the sun is overhead. Here is an older grainy photo that should help show the level of detail I went to with this truck. Not a single bolt was left unturned. As a matter of fact I went over the entire frame and tested every rivet, when I found a loose one it got removed and replaced with a grade 8 bolt - next size up. The photo is dated from Oct 2003. I started the frame off restoration in late 2002 and got the body fully back together and painted in Dec 2005. It's been an ongoing process of putting it all back together since then. I began driving the truck around town again in the summer of 2007. As you can see I'm down to the minor detail work, adjusting license plates, etc.

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!! Don't tease us like this - show us the damn truck !!!!!

WE WANNA SEE THE ^%%$$#%@#! TRUCK!!!!!

(Probably all he's got so far is the bumper and grill)

"Any day above ground is a good day"

(Probably painted it with camo paint, now it's invisible)

(Maybe no.1 son totalled it, or girlfriend totalled it)

(Stolen by aliens)

(Embarassed because he put the cab on backwards)

(Borrowed by aliens, and yet to be returned)

(Alfred caught wind of the resto, and took it for a loooooooong test drive)

(Maybe ALFRED TOTALLED IT)

I could talk endlessly about what I've done over the last 7 years to this truck. I'll let the pictures stir the imagination. I used my shop as the backdrop for the picture taking

A few more, including the pond I dug in 2006.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it, or is it the equivalent of the later C-60?

Some had 6's and some had 8's, which does yours have?

Single/2spd axle, tranny, etc.?????

Beautiful

Beautiful

Beautiful

Thanks Samm. It's a C-60 2 1/2 ton with an Eaton 2 speed electric shift rear axle. It originally had a 283 V8 but the previous owner swapped in a rebuilt 1973 350 when the original gave up. It still has it's original tranny, a New Process 5 speed - granny low which I sent out for a rebuild during my restoration. When I was buying the truck the owner was emphasizing the truck had heavy duty axles front and rear. At the time I took that as a sales pitch, but when I tried to find replacement brake drums for the front I couldn't find another truck with the same front axle. This truck has a 15 inch drum and it seems that 99.5% of all other trucks got a 14 inch drum. I searched for YEARS and finally found ONE in western Maryland. I had them cut it out whole with leaf springs attached. It's sitting up in the loft of the barn for safe keeping.
    It's a shame I didn't take more pictures during the restoration. I got really good at welding sheet metal and body panels during that time. This truck has one new cab corner drivers side, inside door bottoms on both doors and the usual work on fender bottoms. The outside steps are also an unsual feature on this truck, from my research the steps were standard on the lager trucks (C-80, C-100) and maybe were an option for the smaller trucks. Again, during my many years of research and searching I have never seen another C-60 with these steps. The steps were in rough shape when I got the truck and I was going to scrap them, but when I realized they too were somewhat non-replaceable I put weeks worth of effort into rebuilding them. I bought a bead roller just for the purpose of making the step plates. I used the roller a second time to make the front silver splash guards on the dump box. You can see the bead roll work on the pic of the underside of the dump box.
    Like I said, I can talk endlessly about the stuff I've done on this truck. Just poke me with a question and I'll go on for hours. I have another repair that I'm just finishing up, getting new dump levers installed. I'll start a new thread for that one.

Nice. I'm looking for an old cabover type truck to restore.

It's OK.

!!!

Seriously markfuga - that is one of the most beautiful truck restorations I've ever seen! Absolutely gorgeous.

Oh yeah. The plate looks much better where it is. Good call.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

WOW!!!!! Very nice job on that restoration.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

That is one super sweet truck, very nice job
    “Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Man, that's nice ...... Great shots you took against the barn and the lake, too - I like the lake shots.

Being a car guy, I for one am VERY impressed with the amount of work you've put into that old truck. Have you shown that truck? Is she a daily driver, or a weekend hauler? With the quality of your work, you SHOULD be showing it - might get you some lines in on jobs for restorations.

I'm glad to see someone cares about the old iron enough to keep it rolling and not scrapped.

markfuga,

Beautiful truck.

Come on over and join us at www.stovebolt.com if you haven't already.

I'm currently working on a 1959 Chev 3800 (1 ton) dually 4x4.

Lane

that big blue truck is hot sex.

absolutely jaw-dropping.
    http://kawispeed.com/ -moderator and tech deluxe
    www.myspace.com/trickortrack -cuz i have no life