Tig welding with an SA 200?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Tig welding with an SA 200?

Ive been looking into getting a tig welder for some of the thinner stuff I work on and was wondering if it would be possible to just get a tig torch regulator and bottle and use the Lincoln SA 200 to scratch start tig weld. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this and what results they got. Will the SA 200 go low enough in amperage or voltage to tig weld thinner material or should I just forget about it and shell out the money in a small tig welder. thanks all.
    My vintage equipment
    1957 Lincoln sa 200
    1980's Lincoln 225 AC
    1952 F-2 ford truck
    1957 F-250 ford truck

Re: Tig welding with an SA 200?

I carry this kit with me all the time to do stainless repairs. But I don't use a sa 200. I have a weldenpower
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lincoln Ranger 8 Lincoln 175 Drill press
    Lincoln 225 mig
    Plasma
    8 ft brake
    52" jump shear

Quote Originally Posted by gclamp View Post
    I carry this kit with me all the time to do stainless repairs. But I don't use a sa 200. I have a weldenpower
    Can you weld some pretty thin stuff with the weldenpower? Im lookin at buying one of these tig torches with hose on evilbay but Id like to know if I can weld some 1/16" or maybe thinner before throwing some money away on it.
    My vintage equipment
    1957 Lincoln sa 200
    1980's Lincoln 225 AC
    1952 F-2 ford truck
    1957 F-250 ford truck

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
    Can you weld some pretty thin stuff with the weldenpower? Im lookin at buying one of these tig torches with hose on evilbay but Id like to know if I can weld some 1/16" or maybe thinner before throwing some money away on it.
    I bought that torch prolly 20 yrs ago, new. It has always lived in that box. I have welded every thing there is to weld in a commercial kitchen with it. One time I even welded some deep fryer baskets with it! Thinking back, I guess the thinnest I ever welded with that tt was maybe 22 gauge ss. I used to soldier a lot of stuff in kitchens also. all cad free.

I learned this the hard way though. Keep the power supply on high idle or running speed. You need that instant arc for scratch start. you will ball up the tip if you have to make contact to kick up the engine speed. Good Luck
    Lincoln 225 mig
    Plasma
    8 ft brake
    52" jump shear

Quote Originally Posted by gclamp View Post
    I bought that torch prolly 20 yrs ago, new. It has always lived in that box. I have welded every thing there is to weld in a commercial kitchen with it. One time I even welded some deep fryer baskets with it! Thinking back, I guess the thinnest I ever welded with that tt was maybe 22 gauge ss. I used to soldier a lot of stuff in kitchens also. all cad free.

I learned this the hard way though. Keep the power supply on high idle or running speed. You need that instant arc for scratch start. you will ball up the tip if you have to make contact to kick up the engine speed. Good Luck
    Well I guess im gonna go ahead and order me a regulator and torch. Im needing to weld in a new floor in my 1957 ford truck. The cab mounts in the floor are rotted out and im gonna have to drop and weld a plate in it. Its just way too thin for me to stick weld it so hopefully ill be able to scratch start tig it in.
    My vintage equipment
    1957 Lincoln sa 200
    1980's Lincoln 225 AC
    1952 F-2 ford truck
    1957 F-250 ford truck

Not for nothing Blue, but (don't laff) have you thought about either brazing or gas welding that together? or in certain circumstances... I used to use a arc welder on thin stuff and keep a bare rod in my left hand just like a tig filler metal is used. A little bit of practice on scrap and I bet it would work. I used to use 6011 in just such instances because of the properties it has with not so clean metal. Before you go spend all that mulah on equipment, give it a whirl Good luck
    Lincoln 225 mig
    Plasma
    8 ft brake
    52" jump shear

I TIG weld off of my SA-250 all the time, it gets pretty low on the amperage. I've welded some sch. 5 stainless with it and had good results.
    SA-250D
    Lincoln Pro-MIG 140 w/spoolgun
    Victor Journeyman O/A outfit
    WP-26, WP-17, WP-9 TIG torches run off my SA-250
    Metabo grinders
    and all the other stuff...