Torch circle cutter
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Torch circle cutter

If any one needs to build a circle cutter this is a good one. I built it about 25 yrs. ago. I copied one an old weldor had and of course had to make a few improvements as we all do. This one fits a Victor but can be built to fit a Smith. Every thing is stainless except the rod. It was chromed when I built it. I have another rod that screws to this one for bigger circles.

This round was cut from 1/2" plate. I used a 000 tip, 5#A and 35#O for the cut.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: Torch circle cutter

I wish I had something like that.

I'm still trying to follow the line, then finishing up with a cone stone in the grinder
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

Hello Bob, looks like a very functional circle burner. Like you, I built a circle burner based on one that I had seen used by another fitter at the beginning of my career. I have done a number of them since then and have made different versions to fit different brands of torches and also plasma torches. I do prefer the style you have shown as I feel that there is less "shake" between the torch and the cutting attachment. Many of the commercially availible ones have too much play in them for me. Along with the cutting attachment I often use a rotary burning table to make things simpler. Essentially the rotary burning table is simply a burning grid that is attached to a spindle that can be rotated. You can place your part on the table grid, place the pivot point of the burning attachment into the punchmark for the circles center and go to cutting. Great of you to put this out here for others to see. I have included a couple of pictures of one of mine. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Wow Allan, that is a circle cutter with style. It has a certain artistic look to it. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    I wish I had something like that.

I'm still trying to follow the line, then finishing up with a cone stone in the grinder
    You've got at least two welders Samm - MAKE ONE!

Sweet cut Bob.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

very nice cutting. i used to work with a guy who had a little motorized deal torch which is supposed to be used for cutting circles from what he told me. he never cut any circles but he cut everything else with it.....bevels straight cuts copes you name it and man could he cut like a machine. i tried it once and man it was hard! im a cut then grind forever kinda guy haha!

Hello El_Lloydeo, was that machine by chance a "Koike Aaronson"? Many years ago I worked for a company that had a machine as you described. It could be "steered" to make cuts by pointing it in the direction you wanted to cut and had drive wheels that rested on the material you were cutting and also had a rheostat to control the speed. It also had an attachment for cutting circles that made an adjustable arm with a pin rotate at an adjustable speed to cut a range of different diameter circles. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Quote Originally Posted by aevald View Post
    Hello El_Lloydeo, was that machine by chance a "Koike Aaronson"? Many years ago I worked for a company that had a machine as you described. It could be "steered" to make cuts by pointing it in the direction you wanted to cut and had drive wheels that rested on the material you were cutting and also had a rheostat to control the speed. It also had an attachment for cutting circles that made an adjustable arm with a pin rotate at an adjustable speed to cut a range of different diameter circles. Best regards, Allan
    That was it! and let me tell ya this guy could make that thing talk to ya. we used to tease him about having training wheels on his torch. honestly though ive never seen anything but a burn table or something cut this nice.

Hello Bob, I don't know whether you use anything like this or not, but whenever I burn circular pieces that I can rotate(if they are small enough) I try to use a table that spins. Here is an example. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Here is a simple one
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 6042
Size:  18.2 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 6027
Size:  29.1 KB
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6028
Size:  42.2 KB
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

It's a matter of user preference, but I prefer MM's style, where the torch head can rotate in the collet. For me it makes it easier to pass the torch and hose around the circle.

Good Luck

Hello denrep, I have used those as well and there are many applications where they are much better suited to the purpose. For example; if you need to burn holes inside the web of a beam they are one of the only types that will work as they have the ability to work within the inside of the flanges of the beam. There are many instances where that sort of clearance issue can dictate their use. Personal preference is certainly a determining factor for which type an individual likes to use. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Aevald, One of the guys that used to work for me had something similar, made on an old trailer spindle. I built one similar to MM's several years ago and it worked well for cutting a bunch of circles but took too long to adjust just for cutting one or two. I always keep going to the simple one. Simple mind maybe.

Hello Bob, completely understand that logic. I guess that's part of the challenge of fabrication and welding in general. Having the wisdom to know when a particular choice will yield the most timely and reasonable result. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Mechanic View Post
    Here is a simple one
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 6042
Size:  18.2 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 6027
Size:  29.1 KB
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6028
Size:  42.2 KB
    Thank you,

First time visiting/joining/posting:

I have a project that requires cutting some holes. So_ I searched the web and found this forum page.

Learned about circle cutters and a whole lot more...

got up this morning and made myself a circle cutter and went to work with it.

Hurrah for forums like this one...

Posting some photos here as a small payback

Hello Oasis, looks like that worked pretty good for you. You're right about the internet and the various forums, a host of information out there if you're willing to take the time to do a bit of looking. Horray for your ingenuity and willingness to get after it, looks as if the results came out pretty good. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

I needed to cut 1 inch holes in 1/4. This is what I came up with for plazma.

Vern
    Last edited by Vern2; 01-10-2010 at 08:50 AM.

I have my small one that fits my inline Victor and I love it

And I just made this big one for any other torch, it has a set screw so you can swing the whole shebang around or let it swing, all SS.

Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Pay no attention to the PBR can in the back of my truck, it was planted there I swear

Wow Tozzi, thats a big circle cutter. Mine is made out of a roller bar out of an old copier. I have two bars and can screw them together to cut up to 4' 2". But yours is bigger than mine, maybe genetics.

I had to make some 28" and 36" test flanges(frying pans, pancakes) and the little cutter wouldn't do so I whipped the big one up from stuff laying around.

Mine.....Mike

Here is mine, I made it out of an electrical contector. I do plan on making a larger one. I always I thought this was clever, very similar to mrmikeys. Mrmikey, id becareful not to tighten urs down soo hard as i noticed in ur pic, I fear if i did that it would break the seal.
    Last edited by Doug247; 01-19-2010 at 02:18 AM.
    Nothing Ever Got Done By Quitting, Never Give Up.

...becareful not to tighten urs down soo hard as....
    I noticed that, I had a small spacer between the tubes but it fell out awhile ago and I never bothere replacing it . I put the clamp in the middle of the tubes so the bend is gradual and not near either end, no excuse I know but it's my story and I'm sticking to it .....Mike

This is a really useful thread, I think making a circle cutter guide is my next project. Anyone ever tried using a ring magnet instead of drilling a hole in the center for the guide to pivot on? I'm more interested in the cutout than the hole so it would be nice to not have a hole that needed to be welded up...... or drilled to begin with. I'm pretty sure there are magnets that would have the holding power to hold the torch guide in place, just not sure how they will do with the heat...... more of an issue with small circles or thicker plate I would guess. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about for a magnet.
    HH 187
    Miller Bluestar1E