Magnetic welding sqaure accuracy
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Magnetic welding sqaure accuracy

I was wondering how accurate magnetic welding squares are.

A guy at work swears if you just take one in each corner of any square the square your welding will be fine. I say yeh if its a small square you can use it to hold but I would still check the accuracy when done.

Personally I am a fan of double checking everything. I never really rely much on those squares but am I wrong?

How much can they be trusted?
    PROUD AMERICAN

Re: Magnetic welding sqaure accuracy

Put a good square on it and find out - report back your findings
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210
    Dirty ugly tools - perfect

I've never seen one of those magnetic "squares" that held anything truly square just by using it. Almost all welds like that will want to pull themselves out of square in some way. If you tack or weld the outside edges, the inside may stay square, but the frame will twist instead. If you check the joint with a framing square, you'll most likely find it's either out or twisted.

I've got 3 or 4 of those "squares" in various sizes. I never trust them to hold things that are critical. Instead I primarily use them as fixtures on my steel table as an extra hand while tacking something up. I used one the other day to make a small 3 legged stand for a friend. I used the magnet to hold the one leg upright while I positioned the rest of the stand so I could tack it together. I've also used them at the far end of a long rack to hold up a cross bar so I could tack the near side when welding up a ladder rack.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

I use them all the time to tack-up tubing and angle iron. I also use them to hold lower angle table braces square and at the right height, hold cart axles in place, rods and just about anything that needs to be held. I've always compensated for heat and never have had a project ruined because of them. They also come in handy to hold things unrelated to welding.

I use a 24" straight tool holding magnetic for a straight edge when using the Hypertherm.

They're great for little crap. I'd never even seen one until a couple of years ago. Being out of Disney for almost a decade left me in the dark ages ! I showed these guys speed squares and they wanted to call a priest !
    Now there's a Strong Hand invasion here but it mostly just causes a grin amongst us gray beards. For the chopper kids it's a "must have" item. "Ah si ! Yessi Yames using dem"
    !
    I've got the three dimensional fixture and a couple of ? 3x2 magnets and a bigger one. They were...ummm..."Liberated" from Evull Germany (Siemens windmill project).
    Like most new toys you reach for them more often than you'd think.
    They also work good to keep beer money from blowing across the yard
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer
    Screw gun --bad battery (see above)

I use 'em for holding close to square. Also for picking up rod stubs that missed the bucket. Anything criticle gets the framing square or levels.
    2013 Chevy 3500 diesel Dually
    Lincoln Vantage 400 Mochine
    Tooled up...
    Watch it, that's hot...

Any square or rectangle I build gets checked w/ diagonal measurement before and after tacking.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

DSW has it right. They are for use as an extra hand while tacking. That's all i would trust them for. I have always checked and double checked parts after using these magnets. Usually with a hammer in hand to adjust the squareness of the part i used the magnet for.

seabee78

They are good to have around, i don't trust them to hold square though. I like the ones with a switch so you aren't fighting the magnet to get things lined up.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

I have two medium sized mag squares, and one small one. One of the medium sized ones is actually square. In sharpie, the other one features a "not square!" script on it.
    -Aaron
    1978 Hardinge HC, 1984 Hardinge DSM A
    Jet 17.5" Drill Press
    1942 South Bend 16x84 Lathe
    2005 Lincoln 175 Square Wave TIG, 2013 Power Mig 256
    2012 Jet 7x12 Horizontal ---- 1993 Jet 17" Vertical
    Victor O/A Setup

They can hold a piece in the right spot when you TACK IT. but always check it after tacking to see witch way it needs to go, as when the tack cools it shrinks and pulls to the tack. thus possibly making it out of square.

Swanny

as a third hand mag squares are ok. to build a frame or gate? fuggeddaboudit! those bessey right angle 90 degree clamps are the bomb!!
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

I'm somewhat of a noob to layout and assembly work however the magnetic squares are great for layout. I don't necessarily use them for final layout but they are great for getting things tacked together. I usually tack near the corner where I can still adjust the alignment then use a real square to get it true. More small tacks, check with a square, then weld.

I did a job and used the magnetic squares and double checked after welding. It was a simple bird box about 2' square. And i was careful.
    When i finished the bloody thing had twisted. Bashed the you know what out of it and got it a bit better but still looked ordinary. I was using stick not mig.

Quote Originally Posted by dinkum dave View Post
    I did a job and used the magnetic squares and double checked after welding. It was a simple bird box about 2' square. And i was careful.
    When i finished the bloody thing had twisted. Bashed the you know what out of it and got it a bit better but still looked ordinary. I was using stick not mig.
    when i use the mag squares it's just to hold it till i can clamp it to the bench.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

For welding, no I would not trust a magnet to keep the piece square.

For tacking, I've had surprisingly good results, the few times it hasn't been square it's been close enough I can tweak it by hand before welding.

How and where you place your tacks and welds will get you farther than clamping will.

Quote Originally Posted by Antibling View Post
    For welding, no I would not trust a magnet to keep the piece square.

For tacking, I've had surprisingly good results, the few times it hasn't been square it's been close enough I can tweak it by hand before welding.

How and where you place your tacks and welds will get you farther than clamping will.
    if that last part works for you, go with it
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    if that last part works for you, go with it
    Name:  1238768_600994256610609_296332112_n.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  55.1 KB

I had to build a new conveyor for a concrete crusher after the company they loaned it to broke it. I had a uneven floor to build it on, nothing to clamp it together with. Lots of shimming and measuring, dead nuts square when I tacked, hair under 1/16 out of square after welding on the larger one, the smaller one was still on square.

They are real handy to catch those sharp *** little shavings from carbide burr bits also.
    If you cant fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem.

"Boy, everyone starts with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before the bag of luck is empty."-Grandad circa 1990ish

I only used the magnetic square basically to tack the job but they are like a third pair of hands when doing fiddly work. I am retired so i don't have to worry about paid work, i just do welding to help people that i know now. Forever fixing chairs that drunks lean back on and break. that takes a fair amount of my time. I also make carts etc.

90 degree vice grips the magnetic square is good for tacking but you def need to check it esp if it is on a large piece of angle or tube it doesn't take much to get that out of square. Tack check tack check is a lot easier then cut grind and start over lol. The 3 4 5 method is very good for larger things also just mark 3ft on one leg 4 foot on the other leg and it should be 5 foot from mark to mark.
    Vantage 300 kubota ,miller 304 XMT, Hobart 210 with spool gun, T/D pak master 75, plenty of other tools of the trade to make the sparks fly.