What size welding rod would be best to use?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

What size welding rod would be best to use?

I'm working with 1/4" mild steel plates and 2" square tubing which is also 1/4" thick. I'm currently using a 115 volt arc welder with 3/32" E6011 electrodes. It is taking for ever and requires several passes to achieve a nice strong weld pattern. I do have a 240 volt Miller arc welder that I can use instead of the 115 volt arc welder. What size electrode would be good to use with the 240 volt arc welder? Thanks for your support.

Monaville, tx <~~west of houston way west

Re: What size welding rod would be best to use?

Well it depends. Most small machines will run a 3/32 very well. The better ones will run 1/8. My stepdad bought an old miller cracker box that ran off 220 it would not carry an 1/8 7018 very well. Go to your local weld shop and tell them you wanna try a couple of 1/8 rods tell them you only need 5 or 6 to see if your machine will run it. Most of the time they will give them to you if you make it a point to them you plan on doing business with them in the future. I would say 3/32 will be about as good as it gets may get lucky though. That little machine wont run the 1/8 though. Also plug in the bigger machine and run a 3/32 with that you may be suprised the diff. in the two

Yes, with the smaller welder, the rod gets stuck all the time. I guess I'll try the 3/32" rod on the 240 volt welder to see what the difference is like. I was thinking a bigger rod would cover more area and would be much faster. Thanks for your support.

Probably 90% of anything I do with stick is with 1/8", not that I do that much. Both of my 220v machines will run that just fine. I do have some 5/32" if I need to put down a lot of metal, but it's pushing the limits on the one machine. I seldom need to use that big of a rod frequently. Small rods I use on dirty metal, like the dump body, where the metal is a bit harder to clean and has to be done outside. I have a mix of small sizes I have gathered up for that sort of thing. That's mostly the remaining 10%.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Very good info. I'm sure my 240 volt welder can handle a 1/8" rod. I'll pick up some of the 1/8" rods and try them as well. Thanks for your support.

someetimes ill use 1/8 6010 for a root at 80- 90 amps, and use 3/32 7018 over top so i dont have to go reset the machine...

I'm currently fabricating an engine mount, and rack and pinion cross member for a project that I'm working on. I fabricated a wooden mock-up shown on the work bench to make things easier for me. Now I'm tranferring all the measurements to the square tubing that I'm using. The stubs identified by the blue circles, is where the rack and pinion will bolt to. The green circles is where the engine mounts will bolt to, and the red circles are the plates that will bolt the car body frames. The 115 volt welder can be seen in the background. The lower picture is where the cross member will be installed. I'm installing a Buick V-6 engine into my 2002 PT Cruiser. Thanks for your support and info.

Last edited by Operator66; 08-04-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Monaville, tx <~~west of houston way west

Man i dont know if you know but its really hard to get penetration on whats that uh looks like pine wood? I recommend a P5 stringer with a good bevel. Lol JK the motor looks sweet whats it going in?
    Weldandpower 225
    Heliarc Rig for it
    Torches
    ect ect ect

Lifes Short WELD NAKED

Looking for a SA200 <~~~Whatcha got?

Quote Originally Posted by jroyster06 View Post
    Man i dont know if you know but its really hard to get penetration on whats that uh looks like pine wood? I recommend a P5 stringer with a good bevel. Lol JK the motor looks sweet whats it going in?
    The engine is being installed in my 2002 PT Cruiser shown in the 1st picture. Another view of the engine spotted in the engine compartment in the second picture. I'm also fabricating a new main crossmember. The red arrow in the 3rd picture points to the remaining stub from the stock factory cross member. To lower the engine to where I wanted it, I had to cut and remove the stock cross member and fabricate my own cross member. After I remove the engine, I will trim off a small portion of the stock cross member stub at the red line, then weld in the 1/4" angle iron solid around the stub. The area where the green arrow is will be welding to the stock frame as well. Looks pretty solid to me! Notice that the new cross member is portable. I will be able to remove it when ever I need to remove the engine or trans. Gives me more options. Thanks for all of your support and info. It's greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Operator66 View Post
    I'm working with 1/4" mild steel plates and 2" square tubing which is also 1/4" thick. I'm currently using a 115 volt arc welder with 3/32" E6011 electrodes. It is taking for ever and requires several passes to achieve a nice strong weld pattern. I do have a 240 volt Miller arc welder that I can use instead of the 115 volt arc welder. What size electrode would be good to use with the 240 volt arc welder? Thanks for your support.
    No offense Operator66, but from your 1st post I really have to question if you are really ready to be welding on vehicle parts. A 115v Stick machine is really not the machine for the job. Your question on what rod size to use just backs up my thoughts.

You talk about achieving a nice strong weld pattern. How do you know it's strong? Do you have any solid basis for the statement, or you just think it looks good.

I won't even go into the questions on whether or not the design itself is appropriate or not, or if the welds on the existing structure are being done correctly based on if the original parts were high tensile steel or not.

I'm not trying to pi$$ you off, but there seems to be a rash of people working on vehicles lately. It seems they have no idea how to weld from the basic questions being asked, and their designs are mediocre at best, extremely dangerous at worst. What will happen to you or others if the mounts fail at 65mph on the highway? What sort of effect will this mod have in the event of a front end collision? Will you end up with the motor in your lap, or will it injure someone in the other vehicle?

Theres a bunch of guys that do some serious vehicle mods here. You will note that almost everyone of those mods are for off road vehicles with a very few minor exceptions. The guys doing the mods are real pros. They have the tools, training and knowledge to do the job right.

This may not be the best project to be learning on for you. I have a feeling you are quite aways from this sort of thing right now. I'll be blunt, I think it's down right dangerous for you to do the project at this time.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

To answer your question in regards to the strength and quality of my welds. For this project, everything that I weld is only tacked in place by me. I then take everything I weld to a local machine shop where a certified welder goes over every weld that was tacked by me, and is welded solid. I might add he does beautiful work as well. I can assure you that while driving anywhere at 65 mph, this is one car that won't fall apart and cause an accident. By the way, I took your advice, and I'm now using the 1/8" rod with my 240 volt welder. Much better! I use to weld years ago when I was much younger. I have been away from it for many years and starting to get back into again. I have been working on cars for 46 years, and not one feel apart on me yet. Thank you for you thoughts and concerns. It is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Operator66; 08-05-2009 at 01:14 AM.