Sae-300
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Sae-300

Sae-300

I have found a Lincoln SAE-300 and was hoping to get some information on it. I would like to know the year of manufacture, and some opinions of the welder. No pictures yet, but it has original paint, faceplate,.... but it does weld and has power, and it also has the wheeled undercarrage.
    Serial # 607123
    Code # 6475
    SAE-300
    GM 5023 ( from what i know, i think this means it has a GM diesel in it?)
    Miller Dynasty 300dx
    Speedglas 9002X
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Lincoln PowerMig 255xt
    Lincoln PowerMig 140c
    Milwuakee Portaband

Re: Sae-300

Quote Originally Posted by sidthss View Post
    I have found a Lincoln SAE-300 and was hoping to get some information on it. I would like to know the year of manufacture, and some opinions of the welder. No pictures yet, but it has original paint, faceplate,.... but it does weld and has power, and it also has the wheeled undercarrage.
    Serial # 607123
    Code # 6475
    SAE-300
    GM 5023 ( from what i know, i think this means it has a GM diesel in it?)
    www.billswelderrepair.com

They have a complete Lincoln serial number history available on their site.
    You may find what you need there. Give them a call if not & Kaye will be able to help you out.
    Dairy equipment repair, Welding machine repair, General all-around garage hack...

DynaSteve

sidthss,
    That SAE-300 SN would make it a late '68 and yes, the GM 5023 would indicate a 2 cylinder 53 series Detroit Diesel driver.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Ok, thanks guys, any idea what a used one would go for, fully operational, and also is the little detroit a fairly reliable engine?
    Miller Dynasty 300dx
    Speedglas 9002X
    Lincoln PowerMig 255xt
    Lincoln PowerMig 140c
    Milwuakee Portaband

These machines are selling for from $500.00 not running to $4500.00 or more with some rebuilding. A running and welding machine that is ugly with no leads will get from about $800.00 to $1500.00 or more. There are some good deals out there, but a used machine is a used machine. Murphy's Law applies. A GM diesel in a Lincoln welder is usually an excellent motor, here again though, prior maintenance helps. Good luck. Post photos if you buy it, we like pictures!!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

I have a 1978 Sae 300. I really like it. Continuous amp and OCV control. Mine was $875 and mechanically sound when I bought it. I like the continental inline 6 (gas) - a very smooth engine with good power. The downside to the Sae 300 is the size and weight. I have mine mounted on my F550. Oviously, yours has the wheeled undercarrage- so your covered. Yours is also a diesel so you dont have quite the fuel consumption issues as I have either. Sounds like a good buy- id go for it.

Sorry I didnt tell you guys right away, but at our warehouse at work I was looking around in all the rooms at the older stuff we havent use in a long time and I stumbled across this welder, there was also a real old miller transformer machine and one of the old round shop-vac looking welders with all the output holes across the whole front. Would like to sell them because we have no use for them because we run mostly updated equipment.
    Miller Dynasty 300dx
    Speedglas 9002X
    Lincoln PowerMig 255xt
    Lincoln PowerMig 140c
    Milwuakee Portaband