SA 200 Diesel Engine swap
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

SA 200 Diesel Engine swap

I am thinking of putting a 4 cylinde diesel engine in my sa200. The original engine needs rebuilt and i want to switch over to diesel. Has anybody done this? Is it easy, hard? any advice?
    Lincoln A/C Buzz box
    Lincoln A/C D/C Tombstone
    Lincoln 125 Mig Machine
    Lincoln SA 200
    Miller DEL 200
    Miller AEAD 200LE

Re: SA 200 Diesel Engine swap

I have thought of doing this with my sa200 also. The price of a new diesel engine from what is available locally makes it economically unfeasible. Seems it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a used machine that came with a factory diesel. Running the numbers makes conversion seem more expensive than a similar used diesel machine is worth, although you have the benefit of having a new engine. If I did convert I still would have only a 200 amp machine, would like to go to a bigger one for arcair gouging capability.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc 250 AC DC
    MM200
    MM251
    30a Spoolgun
    Square Wave Tig 175
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

Yea i just picked up an old sa200 and i am rebuilding the entire thing. The continental gas engine thats is in it needs complete rebuilt top to bottom. Instead of that i am thinking of putting a new head gasket on my diesel engine and throwing it in right off the bat instead of wasting money on the gas engine and swapping it out anyway in a year or two.
    Lincoln A/C Buzz box
    Lincoln 125 Mig Machine
    Lincoln SA 200
    Miller DEL 200
    Miller AEAD 200LE

theres a group on facebook call sa200 and the other sa200 diesel conversion i read it runs about 7k to get it done right

Putting new engine in done right you can expect to spend $7K to $10K done right depending on which engine. Generator end needs other stuff done that all adds up too plus blasting & painting. Many have done it for less with another used engine or salvage engine from wrecked reefer trailer refrigeration unit and such. Some of the last 250 & 300s had Perkins 4.236 4 cylinder that are good engines and rebuild kits are available for those at reasonable prices yet. Newest Yanmar engines have Tier 4 EPA junk on them as do some other new ones now. Kohler just came out with a new water cooled diesel Landini design engine and owns Landini now that has none of the DEF junk & all on it and still meets new Tier 4 requirements.

What engines, other than continental would fit on a sa200?could even be a gasser,reason I ask,i've got a 1978 sa200,needs a engine,rod through the block,hence no core for a rebuild,also have most of a1960sa200 in sad sad shape engine is almost rusted away!what to do,what to do?
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!!

bhound, If you haven't already would tear both engines down and see what you have to work with or trade with. You probably have a F162 in older one and F63 in later one. Lincoln also put in Continental diesels TMD & TMD27, Kubota, Deutz & Perkins. Too many things have gone wrong mostly bearings & cranks in latest Perkins though. Yanmar 4TNE88 has been put in by many shops the last 8 years or longer with success. New Yanmar 4TNV88 BD SA is newest ones with all the tier 4 junk that won't fit under the hood. Older TNE models were better suited for it. Some have used 3TNE 3 cylinder but if want to run it hard may not be enough power. Lots of models to choose from can put anything in there but will want to keep rpm down to 1500 on older ones yet have enough torque to pull it. Not everyone puts a idler on them when converting either. The bigger SA300 & 400 and SAM models most did not have idlers only high idle stop and off. A diesel that size really doesn't use that much fuel at high idle till put a load on it.

Thank's Fixalinc,been into both of them,been torn on either,buying a rebuilt or looking for a good used for the78,the60 probably a parts machine for the next one,can't stop with one!
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!!

Call Bills Welder Repair or Stumpfs.

They got everything Lincoln you'll ever want.

Prolly set you up for the right price. Forget a diesel conversion unless you got a lot of money & time. It's not a simple drop in deal. There's lots of details into doing a good job.

The Yanmar engines are a preferred choice for this application. Tom Fowler did Mainliners conversions & used them for the power plant. His machines were well over ten grand too.

Good luck with it.
    Miller Maxtron 450 W/
    Miller S 54D Feeder
    Miller Load Bank
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 375 Extreme Plasma
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Lincoln SAE 175
    Lincoln LN 25

More Crap Than I Need And No Place To Put It!

I am going to do all the work my self. I have a diesel engine to put in. its a 3 cylinder ford i would have to adapt the flywheel to fit and whatever else. i assume figure out the automatic adle and rpms and such. Are you all talking 7 grand with or with out having an engine?
    Lincoln A/C Buzz box
    Lincoln 125 Mig Machine
    Lincoln SA 200
    Miller DEL 200
    Miller AEAD 200LE

A friend has a couple of those 3 cylinder fords.
    1 in a farm tractor and 1 in a backhoe.
    They seem to start when nothing else will and are very good on fuel.
    Good choice I think.
    Please take pictures, I could be persuaded to put a Ford in my 400.
    Regards Chris

What gets most complicated with this swap is the flywheel/coupling arrangement. The original Continental block doesn't have an extended "bell" at its rear and so a thin block plate combined with the fabricated flywheel's 3/8" (or so) thin center plate, lets the coupler nest within the flywheel's mass, which is located in a fabricated ring at the flywheel's outer circumference - this all adds up to make for a very compact connection. Whereas any diesel engine with a typical heavy thick cast flywheel, and/or any sort of an extended block casting, or protruding crankshaft flange or seal arrangement, mandates that things be moved further apart, which quickly brings all sorts of complications.

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 11-27-2013 at 07:19 AM.