Rope Weld?????
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Rope Weld?????

Rope Weld?????

I heard the phrase the other day called rope weld? A guy said he rope welded 2 coil springs together on his 4x4 truck, can someone tell me what rope welding is I have never heard of it before!

Anyone?

Not sure I have ever heard that term, but I will ways this, I personally have never seen spring steel welded that would last. If it can be done I would love to know the procedure.~Jackson
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

I'm thinking it means just about what it indicates="tied together". If it doesn't come apart, then it was good enough.

Yeah, I'm with jackson and sandy.
    Sounds like he is talking about either attaching them together with actual rope or welding and ultimately ruining his springs. Spring steel is essentially worthless for its job after welding.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

I tig welded a spring on a standup jetski before and it's still holding fine. I welded it with stainless wire, not sure if that makes any difference.

Howdy!there is a fella on here that has had good success welding spring steel, but he has some heat treating procedures he uses, and he said thats the only way it'll hold up for any kind of length of time. I have no clue which thread or who it was, just random browsing one day. I seem to recall that small parts was all he would recomend, because of the size of the heat treating oven or kiln he had. Something like that. I think it would be doable, but I personally wouldn't attempt it on anything safety related. i.e. vehicle leaf springs. If a coil spring breaks, you still have other hardware holding the IFS axle in place. If a leaf spring breaks, that a different story, since most solid axle leaf sprung vehicles use the leaves themselves to position the axle. But, I'm not expert either. Happy welding! Brian Lee Sparkeee24

The weld may be fine, but the steel around the weld is no longer spring steel. The point of spring steel is to have something that resists bending by maintaining a specific shape. Once a piece of spring steel is heated beyond a certian point, it loses this property (unless it is re-treated). The weld may hold up fine, but the metal around the weld will now bend much more easily than before and will not retain its shape over the long run.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

That is the point I was getting to. I have heard that you can weld it and then re heat treat the spring but by the time you go thru that trouble and cost you could buy another spring. as smithboy said the heat from welding is what kills spring steel. ~Jackson
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......