Show us what you welded today! - Page 332
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 332 of 348 FirstFirst ... 232282322330331332333334342 ... LastLast
Results 8,276 to 8,300 of 8692

Re: Show us what you welded today!

Quote Originally Posted by smilindave View Post
    I had ice from a tower go thru the windshield of my service truck at the time, it would have killed me. A 4" chunk of ice destroyed the drivers seat. I have no idea how far it fell. That is the reason for the roof. I have no idea why that large of a support was needed, but I am sure it paid well.
    Regards
    Dave
    Yah, I work in the communications industry, we have dozens of 150-200' tall towers in our district. Every year at least one site get severe damage from ice fall. It looks over built till you see a 200# chunk of ice fall 200'. We had a car totaled at my primary work site 10 years ago, caved in the whole roof. This was in the middle or Portland Oregon, not one of our many remote mountain top sites that get hit much worse and more often.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

One winter day during the construction of the Great Falls Malt Plant the ice and snow load on the roof turned loose with out warning and came down and pretty much totaled 3 welding rigs. Drove the roofs of the cabs right down onto the seats. Luckily no one was in them (or near them) at the time. It was a serious wake up call to every one on site about a danger no one had really thought about yet. We ended up quickly building some protective structures above every man door to the place just so no one would get taken out just going in or out of the building.

This place was designed and the construction over seen by people from South Africa. Oh man these people had no idea what they were getting into with a Montana Winter. They learned some real expensive lessons the first winter they tried to operate this place.

Name:  MP 8 20 05 008.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  95.3 KB

Down and dirty project that I did in about 4 hrs. Made from scrap. Tow bar for a vehicle I brought at auction and need to tow 15 miles to home. Has to be out of auction yard tomorrow and local towing companies could not do it till Thursday. Brackets will bolt directly to the vehicle's bumper mounting holes. Main tube is an old hydraulic cylinder. More tomorrow once I get it all hitched up.
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 04-17-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Looks like a U-Haul tongue.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

The old one I cut of my boat trailer. This style will work for 1 7/8 or 2 inch according to the info on the hitch itself.
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    One winter day during the construction of the Great Falls Malt Plant the ice and snow load on the roof turned loose with out warning and came down and pretty much totaled 3 welding rigs. Drove the roofs of the cabs right down onto the seats. Luckily no one was in them (or near them) at the time. It was a serious wake up call to every one on site about a danger no one had really thought about yet. We ended up quickly building some protective structures above every man door to the place just so no one would get taken out just going in or out of the building.

This place was designed and the construction over seen by people from South Africa. Oh man these people had no idea what they were getting into with a Montana Winter. They learned some real expensive lessons the first winter they tried to operate this place.

Name:  MP 8 20 05 008.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  95.3 KB
    Florida Massachusetts, (somebody thought they were funny), elevation is high compared to the rest of a flat state. They get snow! A convenience store in a converted truck garage has a sheet metal roof, it is poorly insulated, maybe a 6:12 pitch, and a run of maybe 100 feet. I went there for a project in May one tear to find 7' of ice piled behind the building. Had to put off the job 'till July when the ice was then not gone, but most was.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Yes U-Haul has same tongues that will work on 1-7/8” and 2” balls.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I cut the legs down and added stem casters to my new to me welding table. The casters aren't installed exactly correct as I added a jam nut in addition to the nut on the base plate, but they won't be under much lateral load, if ever.

Nice job with the casters Bruiser

Any more additions planned for the table? like a lower shelf maybe... I put one on my table and it sure is handy to store stuff I'll be needing now and then.

One other thing I should tell you... I don't see any 'magswitch' products in your pic... kind of an unwritten rule around here but usually at least one pic should have the obligatory appearance of a magswitch...

Nah, I'm just messin' with ya' but they are handy things for welding fab work

Thanks! There will eventually be a lower shelf on it. Next is the hitch receiver for the vise, and then a 2"x2" angle on the long side of the table to hang clamps and the grinders.

Oh, there's a mag switch thing in there.

Oh shoot!!!! I'm blind.. see them now

Tow bar worked... we need a trailer win thread, heh. Saved me $300+ on a tow to get it home, plus I've missed welding and making stuff due to school, so was fun project.

So you going into the towing / repo business?
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    So you going into the towing / repo business?
    Nope, going to be my toy hauler once I get it running, It needs a new injector pump, couple tires, and a winch, (which I already have), don't need the hassle of a trailer when I have a rollback. going to see if I can register it as an RV. Will sell the F350.

You are giving up a lot of comfort in that cab over LOL... One look at that screams Oh my back is going to be killing me later that evening.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I used to own a UD cabover that I bought new, and loved it. Always regret selling it. So I am used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    I used to own a UD cabover that I bought new, and loved it. Always regret selling it. So I am used to them.
    I drove a few UD/Nisans Cab over flatbet/wheel lift trucks. Hated them, bad back no air ride on seats. One truck had no air brakes and the parking brakes failed to work on me one time in SF on a hill. I got lucky and the curb stopped the truck when I was lifting a car on the wheel lift. It could of got real ugly as there was a cliff past the sidewalk where the truck was headed if the curb did not stop it. I asked them to fix it and they were cheap asses and did not want to spend the money on a good mechanic to have it fixed correctly. That is one of the reasons I left that company years ago.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 04-17-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    I cut the legs down and added stem casters to my new to me welding table. The casters aren't installed exactly correct as I added a jam nut in addition to the nut on the base plate, but they won't be under much lateral load, if ever.

[..]

My ankles hurt when I see those pointy plates, wouldn't advise you to be clumsy and kick them... Not considering to make them nice and round? Those things can ram right into a jug of coolant and cause a mess.

They are way inside the outside footprint of the top. I don't see how I could reach them unless I was kicking at something. It wouldn't take much to knock down the edges. I'm kind of sore though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Michdelas View Post
    My ankles hurt when I see those pointy plates, wouldn't advise you to be clumsy and kick them... Not considering to make them nice and round? Those things can ram right into a jug of coolant and cause a mess.

Welcome to the forum lex!

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Michdelas View Post
    Me too. I pretty much clip (or otherwise round off) all 90 degree corners on things that I build. If that were my table I'd probably clip the corners on that table top also. Not much but at least around a 1/4" chamfer.

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Nope, going to be my toy hauler once I get it running, It needs a new injector pump, couple tires, and a winch, (which I already have), don't need the hassle of a trailer when I have a rollback. going to see if I can register it as an RV. Will sell the F350.
    I would put in a fuel pressure gauge with the new injector pump. I hear low fuel pressure burns out the injector pump.

Is a rollback a car hauler?
    _____Gauntlets_____

____Genesis 4:22___

Yeah, rollback, not a bad idea, I'll certainly do some research and investigation before I start working on it.

Here is the towbar in place.

Bumper, then hammer...lots and lots of hammer..LOL

Name:  P4181687.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  P4181681.JPG
Views: 531
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  P3301650.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  P4181685.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  79.1 KB
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 04-18-2018 at 09:02 PM.