Cleaning MIG tip and nozzle
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Cleaning MIG tip and nozzle

Watched a video on MIG welding in which a grease material was suggested to be used on the nozzle interior and the tip end, to minimize crud buildup and make cleaning easier. Have read my M211 manual and do not find any reference to MIG grease or anything similar. Is this a needed practice that is learned later after getting nozzles and tips cruded up, or is this some new fangled stuff just looking for an application? Searched this forum and found nothing on the subject, so I quit there and am now asking the experts.
    Thanks for any comments,
    Chris

Re: Cleaning MIG tip and nozzle

You can get it in a can or spray. The can stuff is usually refereed to as nozzle gel, and you just dip the tip and nozzle in the open can and keep welding. The anti spatter spray will do the same thing. You just spray the tip/nozzle with it.

The stuff doesn't prevent the spatter from accumulating, but it makes it easy to remove. Often I can just tap the gun against the side of the table and all the crap just falls out.

PAM cooking spray will work in a pinch also.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

It is called nozzle dip. Some use some don't. It does work pretty good and if you decide to use it, use it sparingly as it will get all over your work. I generally use it only after the nozzle has gotten warm so that it will coat it and the excess will run off into the container and I generally let it drip for a minute or so after that before resuming welding.

The one problem with dipping the tip in is if you dip it too far, the gas orifice can become clogged with liquified gel and cause porosity issues. I usually clean the nozzle and tip before each use. I prefer to melt a little bit of the gel with a torch and take a small paint brush and brush it on the tip and inside of the nozzle - you don't need a lot. This will prevent the liquified gel from dripping off mid weld and making a mess.
    Fire!, Fire! Oh wait, that's my torch...

Lincoln PT-225 TIG
    Lincoln 175 MIG

When I'm doing heavy welding I use it, when doing light stuff, I never use it. I only use it when the nozzle is hot. You'll just gunk up the nozzle if you do it cold. And the reason I don't use it for sheet metal is 2 reasons, first is the spatter that builds up naturally falls out pretty well. Second is the dip will spray into the weld, and when doing thin stuff at low heat it causes problems with the weld. Higher heat will burn it up nicely.

The aerosol spray works really well IMO, but it causes cancer. And if you get some on something you want to paint it will cause problems with paint.

I use the Pam spray, and have a small metal brush on the cart for occasionally brushing off the spatter and the black stuff.

Thanks a lot....just what I wanted to know. Available as can or spray, apply by brush, spray or dip, use sparingly and remove excess, apply when tip is hot, perhaps do not use when welding thinner materials, i.e. low heat, use caution if painting part after welding, can mess up a weld or paint. Think that sums it up.
    Thanks again.
    Chris

i dont mig/fluxcore much, but it never seemed to me to be that big a problem. when the tip got some buildup, a squeeze or two with the mig pliers always broke off 95% of what was there..

I buy the spray at the welding store. A can will last me a LONG time. I got a stiff little bottle brush to push thru the nozzle, super cheap and effective way to clean the nozzle.
    Lincoln PowerMig 180c
    Victor O/A
    Bandaids and aspirin

I don't know what I don't know!?

I use both dip & spray depinding on my application. All the above advice seems sound to me. The only other "dip gel" you can get anywhere & is cheap & works pretty good is petrolem jelly. Yes that's right The very same stuff your mamma smeared on your rear to help prevent diaper rash.
    IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT

Linde-VI 253,400 & 450 w/MIG35 feeders
    CNC Table with Oxweld O/A & Hypertherm 1250G3
    Lincoln Ranger GXT 250
    Hobart-MicroWire 300
    ESAB Heliarc 161
    ESAB-Mobilemaster 2 CC/CV Feeders
    & more

Petroleum jelly huh; should have looked at this post before going out today and spending $10 at Tractor Supply for the nozzle gel. Thanks for the info. The new gel is b-l-u-e though, so that ought to make the Miller nozzle feel real good . Wonder if I could dump it down at the local high school as hair gel.
    Thanks again
    Chris