Industrial trailer mount air compressor
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Industrial trailer mount air compressor

We have multiple Ingersoll Rand 250p compressors that we use on the pipeline to run 1"-1.5" impact guns and air torque wrenches; for years we have fought with them in the winter monthes. Trying to find a solution to them freezing up from moisure in the lines. We use methol and air oil by the pail full but still have issues and they seem to be getting worse. Any suggestions????

Re: Industrial trailer mount air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by off-road man View Post
    We have multiple Ingersoll Rand 250p compressors, for years we have fought with them in the winter monthes. Trying to find a solution to them freezing up from moisure in the lines. Any suggestions????
    Use them in areas of the world that stay above 32* F in the winter.

How is the water getting into the fuel?

That would be what I would concentrate on fixing.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210
    Dirty ugly tools - perfect

Now that I read it again, I'm not thinking gas lines - air lines keep freezing?

Will some type of heated air dryer work in severe cold weather?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210
    Dirty ugly tools - perfect

I have had 1\2 inch line freeze up outside the shop, using a 3\4 garden hose cured it. I have a shot of firehose I use with my Sullair 185. It can usually be bought for a case of beer at the firehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Now that I read it again, I'm not thinking gas lines - air lines keep freezing?

Will some type of heated air dryer work in severe cold weather?
    Heated air driers like on a big rig work well. Ingersal Rand must offer something on a larger scale to handle the higher air volume.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Quote Originally Posted by off-road man View Post
    We have multiple Ingersoll Rand 250p compressors that we use on the pipeline to run 1"-1.5" impact guns and air torque wrenches; for years we have fought with them in the winter monthes. Trying to find a solution to them freezing up from moisure in the lines. We use methol and air oil by the pail full but still have issues and they seem to be getting worse. Any suggestions????

At the end of the day, roll up the air hoses like you would with a garden hose to drain the water. Both ends need to breathe so you need a dummy chuck at the end where the tool goes and disconnect the compressor end so it can drain. If you cant disconnect then, you need a valve to open at that end so the moisture can drain. Having the hoses facing the rising sun may help but probly not in Canada.
    _____Gauntlets_____

____Genesis 4:22___

use the knuckle style fittings and the larger 3/4" or 1" hose till the last couple of feet, use a shorter whip in the end that you can throw in the truck to keep warm
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

i remember the engineer's having this problem with the compressor being used to supply air to the bolt up guns and recall them saying they had to install an alcohol drip in the system. i just heard this in passing but it stuck in my head all these years. wish i had listened closer.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

You might fab an air heater to experiment with from parts on hand.

It could be a box like a water tube boiler but with an LP burner element below the air tubes, and use a simple "drilled tube" burner below them. Such a design wouldn't restrict air flow much at all. Acetylene regulators fit the CGA 510 inner threads on common BBQ LP jugs but you can get much larger LP cylinders if needed. You could put an acetylene x 1/4" NPT fitting on the heater fuel inlet so you could use parts on hand from dead regulators.

It would have no moving parts. Light it with a striker and set it were ever you like on the ground or make a simple stand. If you make the top flat with a short stack like a wood stove you can also cook on it or heat anything which will fit on top.

If you do this, post pics!
    Last edited by farmall; 12-06-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Several years ago I worked on tire service trucks that were each equipped with A.O. Smith compressors (302-351 Ford engined modified to run on 4 cylinders and compress air on the other four). We ran IR 1" impacts and 3/4" hose. Winters were a pain for the road dogs when the air hose would freeze. At first I yelled at em for not draining the accumulator tank (5 gallon, as the compressors run at high CFM and enough pressure to run the tools without a reserve. They swore they drained the tanks every time they shut down but still experienced the problem.

It finally dawned on me that the larger trucks never experienced the problem even though they had the same compressor but, being a different manufacturer, were plumbed differently. The larger trucks all ran a secondary 20 gallon accumulator with an auto drain valve. The larger tank allowed for water vapor to condense to liquid then the drains expelled the liquid. The valves were Midland units common to over the road tractors and readily available through truck parts suppliers. For giggles and grins I plumbed a couple of the small trucks with the valves on the small accumulators as a test and the problem was resolved. I retrofitted the rest of the fleet and all was good.

I used a tee to make the connections so the manual valve was still in place to allow for blow down after a job and service work and the only other thing was tee-ing into the idler system for the trigger pressure. Cost was pretty minimal. Not need for alcohol and the system even seemed to help in the summer for high humidity condensation.

Not saying this will fix your problem but it may give you something to think about.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Quote Originally Posted by Rog02 View Post
    Several years ago I worked on tire service trucks that were each equipped with A.O. Smith compressors (302-351 Ford engined modified to run on 4 cylinders and compress air on the other four). We ran IR 1" impacts and 3/4" hose. Winters were a pain for the road dogs when the air hose would freeze. At first I yelled at em for not draining the accumulator tank (5 gallon, as the compressors run at high CFM and enough pressure to run the tools without a reserve. They swore they drained the tanks every time they shut down but still experienced the problem.

It finally dawned on me that the larger trucks never experienced the problem even though they had the same compressor but, being a different manufacturer, were plumbed differently. The larger trucks all ran a secondary 20 gallon accumulator with an auto drain valve. The larger tank allowed for water vapor to condense to liquid then the drains expelled the liquid. The valves were Midland units common to over the road tractors and readily available through truck parts suppliers. For giggles and grins I plumbed a couple of the small trucks with the valves on the small accumulators as a test and the problem was resolved. I retrofitted the rest of the fleet and all was good.

I used a tee to make the connections so the manual valve was still in place to allow for blow down after a job and service work and the only other thing was tee-ing into the idler system for the trigger pressure. Cost was pretty minimal. Not need for alcohol and the system even seemed to help in the summer for high humidity condensation.

Not saying this will fix your problem but it may give you something to think about.
    good stuff as usual Rog