miller econotwin hf
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

miller econotwin hf

Hi guys need some wisdom here i have friend that has a MILLER ECONOTWIN HF #JGO81991,STOCK # 901840 it appears to be in good condition he took it on trade for another tig machine he had ,he told me he would take $650.00 for it with everything i would need to get started .i don't know how to tig weld yet but i want to learn to do aluminum . i am wandering if anybody could give me any input on this particular unit is this a good price and are they good machines for home use and any problems? thanks chris

Re: miller econotwin hf

Doesn't sound like a bad price at all for a used transformer ac/dc/hf tig with all the fixins. I don't know anything about the Econotwin but my Dialarc HF of similar vintage is a very sturdy machine that will probly outlast me and the next generation too.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Now you know free advice is worth what you pay for it, but here is one thought. Don't do it, you will be disappointed. Assuming the machine is an Econotwin, not an Econotig, here are some of your negatives. You cannot use a foot control as there is no means of current control other than the hand crank on the front, you cannot turn the arc on and off as there is no contactor, and you cannot kill the arc on dc other than by lifting the torch. All these drawbacks go away with the Econotig or for that matter, with almost any other tig machine and you can get one for just about the same price. weldersales

In that case, I would definately look for a Dialarc HF or Idealarc 300/300 or Miller 330 ABP, if you're into vintage monsters!
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Seems too high to me. I can get a used one here locally for 350. No way would I go 650 for one.

The HF version of that welder has a receptacle for a remote, so that shouldn't be a problem, but the output and duty cycle of the machine will limit you to thinner sheet metal. Your biggest concern should be the power consumption of the machine. At 230V you will need a 60Amp breaker if you plan on using it at rated capacity. I think the duty cycle on AC HF is only 35% with that machine. The newer ones are a lot more efficient than the ones made 20 years ago. If you are using it in your garage, it may be a nice little stick welder, but it is priced a little high. If it doesn't come with a foot pedal, don't even consider it. just my 2 cents

I've used an Econotwin HF for the last 15 years. I've used it primarily for TIG on carbon steel and stainless. I did not find the lack of a foot pedal a big issue. You adjust your welding current and control the heat with how fast you move and by adding filler rod. It welds aluminum with no problems. You may have to preheat heaver sections of aluminum to compensate for the lack of amps but it gets the job done. It's a simple transformer machine. The HF is generahed with a spark gap. There are no circuit boards that are expensive to repair. Once in a great while you may need to reset the spark gap but there is an access cover so it is easy to get to and simple to set.

Better late than never eh!

PRO Fax said"The HF version of that welder has a receptacle for a remote, so that shouldn't be a problem"

The remote on the econotwin is for an on /off momentary switch for the high frequency.On to start the arc with high frequency in dc and then off to weld.A heads up just so you dont go confusing it with a rheostat .
    Felon
    Last edited by Felonyass Monk; 04-20-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Caution lurker lives here
    " hmmm That is serious,pass the ganja and pick up a 24 of MGD"

Oh and if anyone is interested check out the deal on this unit

http://www.equipnet.com/Miller-Econo...assetid_260680

Felon
    Caution lurker lives here
    " hmmm That is serious,pass the ganja and pick up a 24 of MGD"