What kind of suitcase wire welder should I run off of my Sa-200??
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

What kind of suitcase wire welder should I run off of my Sa-200??

Hi guys fairly new to the website and just looking for some opinions or advice.

I recently started my own mobile welding business and have a nice little trailer all set up with tool boxes, cutting torch, and my '57 Lincoln Sa 200. I'm looking for some kind of wire welder that I can just plug into my Lincoln and use. I thought it would be handy to have and also I might be doing some wrought iron style fences. I have done plenty of mig welding in a shop with the big Miller 350s and stuff, but I'm not real familiar with all the portable style machines they have out there.

What would yall recommend and what kind of price range would something like that run?
    I would like to be able to plug a 100 ft cord into my welder and then run it, if that's possible?

Thanks for any help,
    Daniel

Re: What kind of suitcase wire welder should I run off of my Sa-200??

Miller 8VS or 12VS extreme is great. suitcase is tough. For what your doing u prob want a voltage sensing unit =VS.
    A RC unit = remote control means you can adjust power at the feeder cost more and requires 2 cables. 100' neeeds 200' of cable.
    A Lincoln LN 25 is pretty tough n simple. Plenty available used for cheap. they also make a smaller version w a 15lb spool nice i love them.
    If your running off a 200 amp welder 100' is no prob. Daily i run off a 400 amp welder and have been as far as 600'+ away. (ship repair lol welder could be on the top of the super structure or bow and i may be down in the fuel tank or shaft alley on a huge ship.) Not a lot of additional voltage is needed for that length either. btw I dont have to do that much anymore they bought 100's of new Lincoln 450's
    Nothing like a good cup of coffee and the smell of 6010 burning in the morning.
    Navy Certified Welder 6G
    Always looking for work up on the North Slope or in Alberta
    949-375-6756 cell

Thanks for the reply

I would tend to think that running a Lincoln would be better since I already have Lincoln sa 200, but I don't know
    So on the LN-25 what all would I be able to run out of it? hard wire & flux core??
    Is the LN-25 a VS or RC??
    Also has anybody ran that setup and how did it work out for them? (Lincoln Sa-200 with a LN 25)

Also does Lincoln make a VS unit?

An LN 25 is a VS unit. I don't know if an SA 200 will run an RC type feeder. Those usually require a machine capable of both CV and the correct connection plug.

Example: Miller has two different CC/CV small engine drives the Bobcat and the Trailblazer. The Only the Trailblazer is set up with a contactor and the 14 pin plug to run an RC feeder. You can also run a VS feeder off that machine. However the Bobcat lacks the 14 pin connection and contactor, so your only option with wire is to use a VS feeder.

RC units also have a max length that they can be run from the machine because of the length of the control cable. Even with extensions, you loose the signal to the welder if the cable gets too long. Long runs typically are better for a VS machine. I forget the max length, but 100' sounds like you are either pushing the limit or possibly beyond that limit from what I remember.

I believe the vast majority of SA 200's are CC only. I think I have heard from someone that it is possible to get one set up to run CV. If your machine IS CC your only choice is a VS type feeder. Be advised that wire run on CC is different than what most people think of as standard "mig". It will not work well at all for material thickness thinner than 1/4". The reason is that to mimic CV the VS feeder constantly changes the wire speed as you weld to try and maintain as close to CV as possible. With small wire in short arc, the feeder really can't make those adjustments fast enough to work properly. This is the range most thin material "mig" is typically run in. If you are running large wire FC up in spray though, they usually work well, but with a few minor quirks. In spray because the puddle is so fluid, out of position welds tend to be a PITA compared to running in short arc. Also as mentioned because spray is such a hot process you usually have to work on material at least 1/4" or more. You eliminate these issues however if you run a VS feeder off a CV capable machine, say a Ranger or Bobcat.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.

I'm not sure was it 1957 or 1958 when the SA-200s switched from 4-gears to 5-gears. I run a LN-25 off my SA-200s all the time. Oh there is nothing like CV, but finding a CV box is like finding hen's teeth!
    Here is some Innershield I ran with a 1966 SA-200, no CV box.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Dynasty 300.
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    SG Spool gun

LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200.
    5 SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw
    Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.

ok thanks for the replys

So it sounds like, with the setup and machine I already have, my best bet would be a vs like a LN-25. But even then its not gonna be ideal and will work best on1/4 or thicker

Im a little confused on this....what is a cv adapter??

A CV adapter would change the output of your machine from CC ( constant current) to CV (constant voltage).

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldan View Post
    Im a little confused on this....what is a cv adapter??
    Only way I know of to get CV on a SA-200.
    Dynasty 300.
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    SG Spool gun

LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200.
    5 SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw
    Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.

What specific electrical wizardry does the SA CV adapter perform?

Basically pulls weld output directly off the main (-) brush holder to provide CV output rather than it going thru the series coils and COARSE AMPERAGE selector switch (CC). There's a little more going on but that's the basics of it.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Those usually require a machine capable of both CV and the correct connection plug.

tozi has a good video here of him welding with an ln-25 on an sa-200. cv converters are high dollar from what i've found. good luck