cutweld 101-100 oxy reg
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

cutweld 101-100 oxy reg

My regulater leaks through when the tank is open, but closed at the torch valve. The pressure will build up slowly on the low side. The setup was bought at Lowes a few years ago, and has been a good set. The torch and parts are Harris. I can't seem to find any info to rebuild the reg though. I couldn't find a listing for it on the harris site. Am I just missing it?

CUTWELDER
    model 101-100

Any one know how to find parts?

thanks
    beasjc

Re: cutweld 101-100 oxy reg

If the pressure creeps up with the torch valve closed and the O2 bottle on, you most likely have a high pressure seat failure in the reg.

Personally I would not recommend rebuilding an O2 reg unless you really know just what you are doing and have the proper tools to do so. Almost everything will combust in the presence of 100% HP O2. That means that if you accidentally get oil say from your hands on any of those internal parts you can have an O2 fire. Any foreign matter that might get in the reg can cause this, lint, dirt, oil etc. The smaller the foreign material, the easier it will be to ignite. You don't even need to have a "heat" source. O2 rushing in from the HP tank and slamming against the valve can create enough heat under the correct conditions to cause ignition.

When I say "fire", this is not a fire like what happens if you set some leaves or paper on fire with sparks from the torch. This is an instantaneous, almost "explosive" type of fire. Take it from me I was at ground zero of a HP O2 "fire" at work. In the blink of an eye, the fire vaporised about 3 feet 1/4" HP 316 SS tube and multiple fittings. Gone, not a trace. Not drippy and melted, just instantly disintegrated, vanished. My arm was near by and in the fireball when it happened. 3rd degree burns over 80+% of my right arm. That was not near a tank, but on a line from the O2 bank. I shudder to think what would have happened if it had been a reg that happened to attached to a valve.

Just after I got out of the burn ward, a shop I was familiar with in Florida, had a O2 tank explosion, linked to forgien material in a valve. The explosion killed one and came close to leveling a large portion of their establishment. 4 others were injured by flying debris. And that was a small 40 CF tank that was only partially filed at the time it happened.

Your best bet is to either send it out for repairs to someone like OAdoc. here, who does this professionally and has all the proper tools and procedures, or just scrap it and get a new one. This is generally a poor DIY project. Is your life worth saving $100 or so?

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

The 101-100 are every inexpensive regulators. They can be repaired, but the cost is almost not worth it. It will cost about $40-$50 at a reputable repair facility. DWS is correct, the valve seat is leaking and the "creeping" wil only get worse until the valve complete fails.

I would go to your LWS and get a Harris 25 series or Victor 250 series regulator to replace the 101.
    Both of those can be purchused for about $100.00 and they are alot better regulators. The other option is to purchase a rebuilt oxygen regulator. A rebuilt oxygen regulator will cost about $65.00, if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    This is an instantaneous, almost "explosive" type of fire. Take it from me I was at ground zero of a HP O2 "fire" at work.
    I have never witness an Oxygen "fire", but I have seen the damage they produce. Sorry you had to go through one. Hope you are doing well now.

Well, that settles that. I will be getting a replacement. Thanks guys for the honest replys.

I still wonder though, why can't I seem to find any info, or even a replacement? If it is sold as a kit at the box stores, there must be lots of them in service.
    Last edited by beasjc; 08-31-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Some manufacturers do have breakdowns on thier website. Harris does not however. I keep the parts here, but it is just not worth rebuilding. Good luck with the new ones.