Flatbed install
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Flatbed install

Flatbed install

Finished a few days back.

Not particularly excited, seems like just another thing done, with more to do. Truck is already needed to haul fencing material.

The final fit was pretty good. The truck frame actually varied as much as 1/4 inch in width from cab to rear bumper. And portions were slightly convex on the channel web. Old stuff, whadya gonna do?

Had to use help to lower and position the bed without slamming into the cab.

Were some minor fit issues. My fault. I overlooked a piece of plate added to the bottom of the rails as a web which reduced clearance by 3/16". Lift the thing off again, and get out the grinder I don't normally carry a payroll out here, and screwups are nerve wracking. The meter's runnin'. Another fencing project is in progress, and had to pull the fella off tearing down fence to work up in the yard.

All mounts were bolted full torque to the truck, the bed lowered, and the welds done with the bed on the truck.

I would have preferred to tack the stuff, pull the bed and tacked mounts off the truck, and weld the whole thing up. Due to the variances in the frame width, and the gaps it created between the bed rails, and the mounts, it wasn't feasable

The filler metal would have contracted without any restriction, and the mounts never would have fit the truck once the bed was reinstalled. It couldn't be avoided.

The actual finish welding was another good exercise in technique. A good learner I guess

I've been using 3/32 uphill, because at this stage of the game it's easier for me to control. The problem is the fast burnoff rate.

The issue here was the large number of obstructions. Axles, spring packs, overhead clearance, exhaust pipes, etc.

While your bod might be comfortable, and your hand free with a full 14 inch rod at the beginning, things change. I ran into problems actually running out of room for my hand to move, or my body to move. Oooomph. 3/32 burns down pretty fast

Time to switch to 1/8 for everything. Another thing to get used to I guess.

Underdcut was also an issue. I'm not pleased with it, but there it is. Less or equal to AWS standards, but still excessive in my book. I was a little hesitant to hold too long against the thin channel as opposed to the thicker plate. You see the results

Also I got a lil' kick in the butt from someone who is better than me at this. I need to start grinding all my metal. Always have just hit it with a cup brush and called it good. The wetting action would have been better, and I would have been happier. Ok, ok..........I've been spanked. LOL

It's comin' along, three steps ahead and two back

Between 8 mounts there's 72" of weld, and including the DOT bumper there's 16 bolts (9/16, and 3/4 grade 8) holding the bed to the frame. I really don't believe it's goin' anywhere soon. I took special care not to locate any mounts near a crossmember, this stiffens the frame, and it can't flex torsionally like it was designed to. A little note to y'all that may have to do this one day. It's a perfect world thing, and sometimes can't be avoided.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

Re: Flatbed install

Good to see you finished it. I wondered how it was going.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

When you're modifying something already built, there are always concessions that have to be made, obstacles to be dealt with.

You've done a fine job. You took that unit and made it into what you want it to be and it's rock solid.

Nice lookin' job, Samm. I'm sure it'll take a beating and ask for more. Now your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is get that 12 v powered hydro unit that fits behind the seat. Then mount a double action cyl w/ control valve on each tlr to raise and lower trailer sgooseneck w/ quick connects for each tlr. Just kiddin', but it's a thought.
    I see guys all the time w/ hyd dump tlrs but still have hand crank landing gear and I always wonder why.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

It is what it is... and it does what it's supposed to. It works. With stuff like that, it's all about getting it back into service... not winning beauty contests. Good work, and thanks for sharing!
    Work HARDER, not smarter!
    ------------------------
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln Precision TIG 185
    Hypertherm PM 600
    Hobart 135 Handler
    Oxweld 400 FlameMaster

It's awful nice of y'all to say some nice things

It has a long way to go, and it ain't perfect by any means. It's a WIP....

The OP welds need work, but I think I see what I'm doing wrong. I suppose that's half the battle

I don't feel it's proper to put up 100% perfect stuff. Things aren't always what they seem on the net.

I'm going thru a transition, and think it's good to see the changes as they occur.

I know I'm sure enjoying seeing the progress.

I live with the results. Literally. This is my stuff, and it's in operation on a daily basis.

Not to get all misty eyed here, but I think it's a good thing for dooods in my position to see that you actually can make progress to be better at what you do. It's a hard road

And with that bunch of Horse Sh............

I do believe I'll have another Bud

Well, it made it's first real load I guess

600 t-posts.........total weight 4500lbs.

Bein' as the bed didn't fall off out on the highway, I FIGURE WE GOTTA WINNER HERE

Real happy with the suspension capacity. Squatted 'er down around 3" and onto the overloads. A total drop of 3" is phenominal for a vehicle in this class, and considering the age of the old girl. She's got some miles on her. The 1 tons are probably the most abused trucks on the road. Always overloaded.

Found an old registration in the glove box inside a maintenance record book. The empty weight shows as 6200. Front GAWR is 4000lbs, and rear GAWR is 7100lbs per the door sticker from the factory.

The truck was owned by Waste Management in VA, the company in Texas (sign on door), and the dood in OK, and probably a few more folks. It's been around. This is the last stop. Pobably be here for at least another 10-15yrs.

The old 460 really steps right on down the highway with a decent load, and the AC running (OK, I'M SPOILED........FIRST TRUCK I EVER HAD WITH AC, AND BY GOD....I'M USIN' IT Had to put on a jacket Clarence hogged the AC on the passenger side. Still holding steady at around 10-11mpg. Expect it to drop to around 3-5 pulling a fully loaded gooseneck. But still..........that's pretty good for a gas rig. Considering the money I got invested in the truck, the difference between buying a lot of gas, and truck payments for a new truck, is huge. You can buy a lot of gas for the extra 20,000+ it would have cost for a new cab and chassis. Actually closer to 25,000.

The FS Enterprises (Farmersamm Enterprises) front end loader performed flawlessly as usual.

HUH I kinda lost track again. 4th 5th 6th thread on this truck. Trying to follow this project is like blood trailing a squirrel. Real hit and miss on the spots.

Samm, Ya can't beat a good older 1 ton truck. Nice job on your install, The only thing wrong with that truck is the motor. It shoulda been a 454 with ALL associated parts and accessories. LOL JK That truck will do you good for years to come Samm, good job. !!
    Lincoln Ranger 8 Lincoln 175 Drill press
    Lincoln 225 mig
    Plasma
    8 ft brake
    52" jump shear

You got it working & it works fine, from what I can see.

The welds look good & the work's done.

That's really the most important part.....

^^-- Well, in between that and the working A/C .... Is Clarence's coat thick enough, or the missus gonna hafta knit him a sweater ......?

Looking good, Samm. Glad you got the ol' girl up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by gclamp View Post
    Samm, Ya can't beat a good older 1 ton truck. Nice job on your install. LOL JK That truck will do you good for years to come Samm, good job. !!
    I know that lots of people can and DO beat older trucks!

Like this one,
    or this one,
    or this one!

Can you PM me some of that Air Conditioning Samm?
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

props farmersamm on welding the mounts with restrictions, I have to do quite a bit of that at my job
    Power of Blue Baby!

$25,000? where you buying new trucks?

I'm definitely shopping there!

The last time i was at the dealer for parts gandering at the new trucks on the lot the top of the line bad daddy dually pickup had a window sticker of $54,000!!!!!!!!!! for a damned PICKUP!
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

Duallie - It was $25,000 above the cost of the Ford he got.

Farmersamm glad to see you got it looking sweet and neat. Hot to trot and A/C too.

I don't do much with 3/32" rods and tend to use 1/8" most of the time and find them better to weld with than the 3/32". Even in the same rod type.
    "One of the things we have to be thankful for is that we don't get as much government as we pay for." (Charles Kettering)
    Mitch 180 (NZ)
    Lincoln SAM-400-220 + ?-400 Fordson Major + 2 x Tractapac Humber 80 + Procut 40 Plasma
    Miller Spectrum 375

Damn i was hopeing he had a dealer that couldnt add.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

Quote Originally Posted by Dualie View Post
    Damn i was hopeing he had a dealer that couldnt add.
    Most of them can't but it's never in your favor!
    "One of the things we have to be thankful for is that we don't get as much government as we pay for." (Charles Kettering)
    Mitch 180 (NZ)
    Lincoln SAM-400-220 + ?-400 Fordson Major + 2 x Tractapac Humber 80 + Procut 40 Plasma
    Miller Spectrum 375

Working out of position with obstacles in your way sure can be frustrating.
    That bed will likely outlast the rest of the truck though. I doubt that you will have any trouble with it.
    I think you done good Samm!