200# Blacksmith's Anvil
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

200# Blacksmith's Anvil

A neighbor up the river has an old, old anvil he wants to sell. I really don't need it, but to have an anvil that weighs 200 pounds would be really neat. He doesn't want that much for it, but I am reluctant since it is painted. I can't very well ask him to remove the paint so I can see if it has ever been cracked and repaired... that would be like calling him a crook. So, I am asking you guys what you think. I will try to upload a pic of it and let you see what you think.

Here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: 200# Blacksmith's Anvil

Price?
    We want to see something like this in the signature line:

Lincoln Ranger 250
    Miller Auto-Darkening Elite Helmet
    Lincoln 100
    Lincoln Mig
    Miller Spectrum 375
    Craftsman 8 galllon gas powered compressor
    Longevity 200amp Tig Welder LT-200D

From the picture, it does appear to be an old one with an applied steel 'deck'. However, the tip of the horn appears to have been chopped off by the camera, the 'ring' when I tapped it with my pencil doesn't come through as clearly as I'd expect, and I'd also bet it can't be an ounce over # 198.6,not counting the paint.
    If you can arrange shipping to me, I'd be glad to do a more thorough examination; I already have about 7 to compare it to!

Bill,

Anvils in decent shape have been steadily going for $2 a pound, despite the economy. If the anvil is less than $1 a pound, it is almost certainly worth more should you change your mind and want to sell it later.

I am going up to the annual Quad State in Troy Ohio, put on by Southern Ohio Forge and Anvil (SOFA) at the end of this month. There are always a hundred or more anvils for sale there, and invariable two or three collectors come through and buy almost all the good ones before the trailers are even parked. I'm not sure why, since the European style two-horn anvil is much preferable for forging, in my opinion.

At any rate, it looks like a decent anvil and if you want to do forging on it, go for it. I know of at least one very high-end blacksmith within 70 miles or so of you, and I'm sure he can't connect you with others.

Seriously, you may find that forging hot metal is a safer option for you given your pacer. There is no high-current hazard, but you might get awfully addicted. And the anvil is the only tool you pretty much have to buy. The rest of the blacksmith shop can be made or scavenged until you can get the stuff you really want.
    EMT-P, USN (retarded), part-time blacksmith
    LTEC & Linde Heliarc 250 HF, Millermatic 185,Victor/Uniweld O/A and propane
    lathes/mills/shapers/power hammers/etc

Quote Originally Posted by Stack of Dimes View Post
    Price?
    $200, but I bet I can talk him down to about $150.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Thomas View Post
    Bill,

Anvils in decent shape have been steadily going for $2 a pound, despite the economy. If the anvil is less than $1 a pound, it is almost certainly worth more should you change your mind and want to sell it later.

I am going up to the annual Quad State in Troy Ohio, put on by Southern Ohio Forge and Anvil (SOFA) at the end of this month. There are always a hundred or more anvils for sale there, and invariable two or three collectors come through and buy almost all the good ones before the trailers are even parked. I'm not sure why, since the European style two-horn anvil is much preferable for forging, in my opinion.

At any rate, it looks like a decent anvil and if you want to do forging on it, go for it. I know of at least one very high-end blacksmith within 70 miles or so of you, and I'm sure he can't connect you with others.

Seriously, you may find that forging hot metal is a safer option for you given your pacer. There is no high-current hazard, but you might get awfully addicted. And the anvil is the only tool you pretty much have to buy. The rest of the blacksmith shop can be made or scavenged until you can get the stuff you really want.
    Ed,
    I think I have the size to be a play-pretend blacksmith (6'1" 360#), but since I had my heart trouble, I just don't have the stamina to forge metal. It would have been really neat if I had gotten into all of this 30 years ago.

The guy with the anvil just emailed me and said he will take $100 for the anvil. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Buy it Bill

They come in handy many times and you will find that you will use it way more then you think you will. I can't imagine not having one.
    Miller DVI2
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Thermodynamics Cutmaster 38
    Everything else needed.

Sounds like dig out a c-note to me Bill.

I have no problem making decisions... especially with other folks money!

If I only knew why the damn thing is painted?

My wife just came in here and handed me $100. Is that sweet, or what?

Did you ask him if it has been fixed and that is why its painted???? Never hurts to ask since you already know the price has come down by $100

Very nice of the wife !! You'll have to reward her
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    Did you ask him if it has been fixed and that is why its painted???? Never hurts to ask since you already know the price has come down by $100

My sentiments exactly, Specter... on both counts.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    Promise her you won't beat her if she forgets to do the dishes tonight. That's what I do when the wife is good. She's REAL appreciative for it too!

Lincoln Ranger 250
    Lincoln 100
    Lincoln Mig
    Miller Spectrum 375

Hey Stack,
    You would not believe this woman! I know she is mentally impaired, because she married me. My Mom calls her an angel. She wants nothing, I mean nothing for herself. She never argues. If I raise my voice at her, she tears (as in lacrimal glands) up. No one, I mean no one has a sweeter wife.
    Damn it! A feller needs to get mad at his wife once in a while... it is driving me CRAZY.
    She is the best, mentally impaired or not.
    And I love her.

Definitely buy it ! I haven't seen mine in four years and just hearing you make up your mind makes me want to take a trip just to see it. (Mine is in Puerto Rico & I'm in Florida)
    SeaBee (BobR)
    Lincoln SP-180T
    Eutectic 300 amp !00% duty cycle, constant current&amperage
    Does MiG, stick and scratch TiG; Best stick mach I ever used.
    250 lb Anvil
    F350 Crew Cab
    Barn

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Hey Stack,
    You would not believe this woman! I know she is mentally impaired, because she married me. My Mom calls her an angel. She wants nothing, I mean nothing for herself. She never argues. If I raise my voice at her, she tears (as in lacrimal glands) up. No one, I mean no one has a sweeter wife.
    Damn it! A feller needs to get mad at his wife once in a while... it is driving me CRAZY.
    She is the best, mentally impaired or not.
    And I love her.
    It sounds like you are talking about MY wife!!!

Any way Take a good sized hammer and hit the anvil. If ti has been repaired or cracked, it will not sing. The noise that comes foo the anvil will tell the story!
    keith
    The older the boys, the more expensive the TOYS!!
    Previous owned;
    Linde 300 Amp welder
    Miller Gas drv welder, Tumbstone,Dayton
    Miller ac to dc converter,High frequency unit
    Longevity LS60P
    Currrently owned;
    Longevity WeldAll 200PI

She never argues. If I raise my voice at her, she tears (as in lacrimal glands) up.
    ATTA BOY!!!

Only have to tell them once or twice, then it becomes second-nature for 'em to start crying.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lincoln Ranger 250
    Lincoln 100
    Lincoln Mig
    Miller Spectrum 375

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    Definitely buy it ! I haven't seen mine in four years and just hearing you make up your mind makes me want to take a trip just to see it. (Mine is in Puerto Rico & I'm in Florida)
    Seabee...
    If I decide to get rid of it... you have 1st dibs... $100 plus shipping... if I buy it. Still wondering why it is painted green.

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    It sounds like you are talking about MY wife!!!

Any way Take a good sized hammer and hit the anvil. If ti has been repaired or cracked, it will not sing. The noise that comes foo the anvil will tell the story!
    Sounds like we are two very lucky men. Thanks for the tip... hammer here we come.

Quote Originally Posted by Stack of Dimes View Post
    ATTA BOY!!!

Only have to tell them once or twice, then it becomes second-nature for 'em to start crying.
    Stack,
    Tell her that you are getting sick and tired of her hitting your fist with her eye. I know better. Hey, what is the smile all about? Is that makeup?

Hey, what is the smile all about? Is that makeup?
    The smile is to tell the cops "it's OK officer, I walked into a door".

Makeup? What woman worth keeping can't learn how to correctly cover bruises with makeup? She'd better learn quick, too!

Lincoln Ranger 250
    Lincoln 100
    Lincoln Mig
    Miller Spectrum 375

I just called the guy... he emailed me earlier and told me he would take $100 for it. I gave him my song and dance about my bad heart and asked him why he painted it green. He said he just had some paint left over from another job and painted it. I asked him if he broke it in half and welded it back together... laugh... laugh. He laughed and said no, he didn't. I asked him if he would take $20 for it and he said he didn't think so, but he said he would take what he had in it, which is $50.
    Question: If it doesn't go piiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggg when I hit it with a hammer, do I still give him $50 for it?
    Oh yeah... he said he thinks it actually weighs a little OVER 200 pounds.

In my oponion, If it does not sing it is good for a boat anchor!!
    keith
    The older the boys, the more expensive the TOYS!!
    Previous owned;
    Linde 300 Amp welder
    Miller Gas drv welder, Tumbstone,Dayton
    Miller ac to dc converter,High frequency unit
    Longevity LS60P
    Currrently owned;
    Longevity WeldAll 200PI

The guy with the anvil just emailed me and said he will take $100 for the anvil. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
    Buy it. It's most likely something halfway nice. If it turned out to be Hay Budden or Peter Wright, you scored very well.

The horn on my HB doesn't look the same tho.
    Miller Maxtron 450 W/
    Miller S 54D Feeder
    Miller Load Bank
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 375 Extreme Plasma
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Lincoln SAE 175
    Lincoln LN 25

More Crap Than I Need And No Place To Put It!