Aluminum to Galvanized Steel?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Aluminum to Galvanized Steel?

I am looking for a solution to joining Aluminum to Galvanized Steel. Whether it be welding, brazing, explosion cladding, friction stir welding, thermal spraying. Each piece would be 2MM thick and needs to withstand thermal shock from -40 to 120 degree Fahrenheit. If money were no object how would you suggest joining these two metals. I know a major problem with these two metals is the galvanic corrosion that takes place between them but are there any other major issues besides dissimilar melting tempuratures? Any suggestions would be great.

Re: Aluminum to Galvanized Steel?

Elastic urethane adhesive? Perhaps with mechanical fastening as well? The CoE for those materials are so different it may cause more issues than corrosion initially.

Epoxies can work if there is sufficient mating surface and overlap, ie sleeve to put one into another. The other option is mechanically fasten; good old nuts and bolts or rivets.
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

http://www.aws.org/w/a/wj/2005/06/038/index.html

Other manufacturers may give the process a different name, EWM for example call it 'coldarc'. You did say money was no object

As Rojo mentioned:

Bolts, Nuts, and Washers
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

First step is to question the designer

Quote Originally Posted by TiFreak View Post
    I am looking for a solution to joining Aluminum to Galvanized Steel. Whether it be welding, brazing, explosion cladding, friction stir welding, thermal spraying. Each piece would be 2MM thick and needs to withstand thermal shock from -40 to 120 degree Fahrenheit. If money were no object how would you suggest joining these two metals. I know a major problem with these two metals is the galvanic corrosion that takes place between them but are there any other major issues besides dissimilar melting tempuratures? Any suggestions would be great.
    This is a great example of the need to question the designer, when they've specified
    something that is impossible, close to impossible or at the minimum--wholly unpractical.

For all you & we know, the designer obviously didn't give this any thought, he/she
    just specified 'weld it'........without having any clues as to what's involved.

(Those who create problems with their ideas, as opposed to solving/anticipating/finding
    solutions---are neither designers or engineers......simply ignorant wannabees )
    Blackbird

Fat Bastard for President-2016

I've used explosion bonded strips in the past. VERY effective!

Here's a European company that makes them, although sometimes it is hard to find.
    http://www.triplate.com/?pagina=triplate_solution
    http://www.smt-holland.com/
    A pic from their website

Last edited by Al Bundy; 09-12-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Silver solder using OAW. Try to obtain a grade that melts below the melting point of the aluminium,

GTAW and copper lithium filler might work also on DCEN. You need to work this though to obtain good fusion.

In both cases, strip the galv off first.

Good luck.

TeddCo
    HTP Microcut 400 & Invertig 160DC
    Smith Dual Guard MD-510 OA Rig
    Lincoln SP135+
    Hobart Stickmate LX 235/160