Hobart TG201
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Hobart TG201

Hobart TG201

HEEEEEELP!Ihave tg201tig machine,it is probably is 25 years ols or so,it stick weld VERY NICELY and iwant to get a foot pedal for it so i can TIG weld can/does anyone know of a dealerthat sells old machines that are obselete,parts etc,Ineed to have afoot pedal,so i can tig weld.Ihave tried:hobart,miller,thermal arc,weldplus,ssc controls,with NO LUCK,does anybody have an extra they do not need anymore?Maybe even an old pedal assy so I can build oneI do not have alot of money in this machine,so I'm ok so far.Can you fellow welders tell me of a store or individual that may able to help.ThankYou, Rick Beaver,Raytown,Missouri,816-358 3669

I just re-read the post and realized you already looked to scc controls. How many connector plug thingies should it have?
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

hobart tg-201

the plug is a 5 pin amphenol type,I sure hope there is a unit out there

hobart tg-201

the plug is a 5 pin amphenol type,I sure hope there is a unit out there it does not have to work,BUT if it does that would be great.Thank You. Rick Beaver

I might be all wrong about this, but you may be just talking about a foot pedal with a big potentiometer and maybe a switch for the high-freq. You could probably use any of the old...old foot pedals with three wires and just run the high freq continuously or rig a switch in the pedal. Airco, Air Products, Miller and lots of other manufacturers made pedals like this and they still float around on ebay occasionally. I wonder why ssc controls didnt have something like this. They claimed to have one that will work with my dialarc, and it uses a 3 wire pedal with a big potentiometer just like I described above.
    Smithboy...

hobart TG-201,Well finally found afoot control.the cord was toast ,BUT the cable end was still intact,opened up the bottom of controlbox & the wires were cut off at the terminalsso close thati could not tell what color went where .BUT Ithink I may have figured out the correct connections,there is NO diagrams availableso far in the search,but the journey is over half the fun,besides I'mgetting better aquainted with the machine.This "old"machine is probably at least 25yrs old(came out of a kansas city school district auction7the guy i bought it from It had been in storage for15 yrs& NEVER STARTED UP,Igot it home ,took of the covers&inside was practically brand new,nodirt on the fan blade at all,no insulation had been chewed off by mice,PERFECT NO NUTHUN so I install anew plugturn it on &IT'S ALIVE!,so couple of days later I imake some connectors for the cables,grt some electrodes&do some test wwelds,Man this machine is sweetI have used the new miller units it various placea that Ihave worked& that was real nice cuz I was the first person to use it.But it was not my machine,Ialready own a "baby tig"But i got achance to get this machine reeeeeeeel cheeeeeep.So far so good I'LLlet you know how it works with the tig set up.C-YA

I was corrected by a welder technician about these older foot pedals. He said that they actually use a BIG resistor (without much more elaboration on what kind or size) to achieve their purpose. Newer welder foot pedals use a small potentiomenter as a sorta sending unit to a set of controls on a mother board on the newer welders. That way foot pedals can now be built with less expensive parts...so, that's why they are soooo expensive...they use cheaper parts...I see ?!
    Smithboy...

hobart tg-201

hello fellow welders.I got the foot control rewired & plugged it in& fired it up.Boy this is nice,installed agas lense on the torch& welded up some chrome moly.these machines of "yester year" still work beautiful,if any of you weldersneed some help with an old hobart of this type I will share what I know . There are a lot of these old machines out there that are still in very good working order and are great for a small shop/home shop this applies to all machines hobart,lincon,linde,miller,they will still do the job,it's the operators ability (always has been&always will)NOW "LET'S GET BACK TO WELDIN" C -YA , Rick Beaver

Re: Hobart TG201

I have a TG201 without foot control, I was wondering what type/model controller you used and how you wired it? Thanks,Chuck

Hi Rick,

read your posting looking for a remote controller for your Hobart. I have the exact same machine with the same problem, I also am looking for a remote cable, do you have any helpful suggestions that someone may have offered you??

Regards

Paul

Do you not have the cast aluminum foot control with a 25,000 ohm pot about 1 1/2 inches in diameter? weldersales