Stainless steel rods on mild steel?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Stainless steel rods on mild steel?

Hey guys, I gave away some stainless steel rods a while ago, but on the weekend found a box that I had forgotten about. I'm unlikely to ever want to weld stainless. Is there a problem using them on the mild steel I typically weld?
    Scott
    Yeah, I carry.

House keys, wallet, some change, usually a newspaper, maybe a pen.

Re: Stainless steel rods on mild steel?

They need to be at least 12% Nickel to enable this to work, eg: E309. Fully austenitic types are also OK, eg: E310, E312

E316, E308 cannot cope with the carbon steel dilution, often resulting in cracks, or crack prone welds under loading conditions.

Ah, I knew it wouldn't be that simple. I'll see what it says on the pack.
    Yeah, I carry.

as stated E309 is a great rod for welding dissimilar metals.

Okay, I've written down what it says on the pack and it means nothing to me:

347 Stainless.
    Low carbon niobium bearing stabilized stainless steel electrode for stainless steel types AISI, 321, 347 and unstabilized types 301, 302, 304, 304L and 308.
    Yeah, I carry.

Here's the chemistry from a McKay 347 stainless electrode, and more importantly the AWS specs for chemistry in this filler metal:

Typical Chemistry AWS spec
    Carbon (C) 0.06 0.08 max
    Manganese (Mn) 1.19 0.5 to 2.5
    Phosphorus (P) 0.026 0.04 max
    Sulphur (S) 0.025 0.03 max
    Silicon (Si) 0.46 0.90 max
    Copper (Cu) 0.10 0.75 max
    Chromium (Cr) 20.24 18.0 to 21.0
    Nickel (Ni) 10.00 9.0 to 11.0
    Molybdenum (Mo) 0.09 0.75 max
    Columbium (Cb) 0.60 8.0 x % carbon minimum to 1.00 max

Per ChrisPC66's comment about nickel content, these are probably not a good choice for welding mild steel. They've got a lot of chromium and some, but not a lot, of nickel. Odds are good that you'll get brittle welds if you use these rods to join mild steel.

In the description, the word stabilized vs unstabilized refers to the Columbium(aka Niobium) content. 347 contains this element to reduce chromium carbide precipitation; which causes a loss of corrosion resistance. 321 stainless contains titanium instead of columbium, but both elements are added for the same purpose. The other stainless grades mentioned do not contain either of these stabilizing elements.

Quote Originally Posted by scott brunsdon View Post
    Okay, I've written down what it says on the pack and it means nothing to me:

347 Stainless.
    Low carbon niobium bearing stabilized stainless steel electrode for stainless steel types AISI, 321, 347 and unstabilized types 301, 302, 304, 304L and 308.
    Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com

Thanks for taking the time to write that all down. Friends of mine think I'm nuts when I tell them that there is alot to know about metal and welding.

Scott
    Yeah, I carry.