Bed (sleep, not truck) footboard
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bed (sleep, not truck) footboard

Building a bed frame, here's some pics. this is the foot board, the head board will be in similar design, but just taller.

square tubes are 2x2x3/16
    round tubes are 1.5x1/16
    gussets are made out of 1/8" plate (thx ZTFab for the shearing)

the reason the center platform is lower is because a 2x2 tube will go there, the outside platforms are higher is because angle irons will go there.

this is my first project involving round tubing, but i have messed around with round tubing before. due to the design and size of this thing, some of the round tube welds are difficult to get to, so had to be welded in several phases... which messed with my mojo. I suppose i'm fairly consistent withing each 2 inch long weld, but i have some trouble when its broken up and have to weld it in different directions.

comments, concerns, critiques, and hints welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Bed (sleep, not truck) footboard

Nice design!! Gonna be nice and strong. I assume you tigged it? One thing i would say is to dip more while tigging.
    Ya gotta spend money to make money!

Can't say a thing about the TIG welds, I'm doin' good to get a plain ol' rod to run right

The design is nice, very modern, and functional.

RE: metal beds........... be very careful that if, and I just say if, some of your nocturnal activities include electricity, DON'T GROUND YOURSELF
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

"Functional",,, Samm???? We need some D-rings before it's functional

The beauty of steel is, that somewhere in the future, if desired, a full overhead frame, and a good sturdy one, could be added to support a basket

ROTATIONAL, AND RECREATIONAL. The alliance of wicker and steel.

Perhaps Oxy's next thread????????

dip more rod... i'll have to experiment with that one. thx for the heads up.

D-rings are coming, no worries. there'll be some misc. tie downs for leather straps and so on.

basket, wicker and steel... i understand, although, i wasn't thinking wicker, i have a friend who works with leather, and he makes good harness with leather. overhead frame and basket i understand too. but electricity? Sam, electricity? do we even wanna know what you've been plugging & unplugging?

Man, that's going to be one heavy-duty bed! How many people are you needing it to support?!?!
    ...And if the wife doesn't like it, you've got the makings of a fine grille-guard for a cabover Freightliner!
    Lincoln AC225 & MigPak 140, Lincoln Magnum SpoolGun, Miller Spectrum 375-X Plasma, Syncrowave 200 TIG, Millermatic 252 MIG, Miller Digital Elite, General 7x12" horiz/vert bandsaw, 3' box/pan brake, 20 ton press, milling machine, 12x28 lathe, etc.

We don't worry about electricity at my place. It's the exhaust from my wife's kick start model I worry about!!!!!
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP Ready Pak
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready Pak
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    CK TIG TORCH gas diffuser and pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    A stout 15 yr old son to help!!

Holy ****!

I could use that to keep the girlfriend out of trouble. I gotta build one of those! A bed like that, you don't even need D rings. Four sets of handcuffs would work like a hot d*mn!

...err, I mean uhh...yeah. Good work!
    Last edited by mb_welder; 10-07-2009 at 12:51 AM.

man, you guys are a blast! so far the only one that stayed on topic is Welder Shane, and he's the only one without a dirty mind

we have farmersamm using electrocution contraptions to get his jolly on, and thats before the wicker basket hanging from the ceiling; jsfab completely refuse to use it without D-rings; and Joker11's wife's "kick start model", whatever that is; and mb_welder with his handcuffs... didn't know weldors are such a sick bunch

i bought a metal bed years ago because i was sick of hearing squeaks from wood beds. that's when i was single, and as long as all the bolts/joints are properly oiled (was gonna say lubricated) the bed was noiseless. It was from Ikea and i have to say, it's one of their best products. Not only do i sing its praises, i have seen the same exact bed in many "grown-up" oriented motion pictures, thus proves its worthiness.

now i want the same noiseless performance, with a larger bed, hence i'm making one.

Quote Originally Posted by oxy moron View Post
    comments, concerns, critiques, and hints welcome.
    It's a matter of personal taste, and I guess things are different out west, but that thing is hideous. Great fab job, and the welds look great, but it looks like a headache rack for a pick-up truck. What does your wife think of it? She's the only one who really matters.

she likes the new one a lot. its not really a east coast, west coast, or mid west thing though, but if you want to sum it up like that...

the bed is made for two people, but if my wife wants to bring some of her girlfriends over, i wouldnt mind

hey samm, you still looking for ideas for a 3 point manure rake? hahahaa
    Last edited by oxy moron; 10-07-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Oxy,
    Glad you took our ribbing in stride. All of it was meant in good fun.

But let me get this straight....you expect a bunch of guys who have had to dance around with cherry red sparklers in their ears, down their pants, in their socks, up their noses and who knows where else, to be prissy little pansies in the bedroom? Cha Mon, dude, you gotta let your freak flag fly!

Next issue, as far as the wife bringing home a few "extras", been there, done that, be careful what you wish for! You just might get it. That's not always exactly the best thing for a relationship.

Onto the next issue....POOKIE, really dude? Hideous is the word you chose for someone's creative creation for their own personal furniture? I guess I get defensive about that. Not butt hurt, just that I am not very creative. So I don't like to step on other's toes. Now, I can bash welds all day though! hehehe

And lastly, Upland, in my book doesn't count as West Coast! hahaha If it was west coast like I was in Anaheim and Garden Grove, it would have hydraulics on it, front/back, side to side, three wheel motion, full pancake, and it would have neon under it with strobes on the headboard for full effect. And to top it off, it would have 15inch subwoofers under it and an Alpine DVD player in the headboard that would fold down when needed. Pimp it out bro! Represent SoCal! hehehe

And you guys know this was all me just poking fun, right?
    Peace Out
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP Ready Pak
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready Pak
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    CK TIG TORCH gas diffuser and pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    A stout 15 yr old son to help!!

Simplicity at it's finest. Kind of reminds me of Shaker wood furniture.

Looks good the way it is, maybe a couple scrolls in there to make it look a bit less industrial?
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

don't count out the dvd screen, joker.

was thinking of scrolls... since the headboard will have 5 horizontal round tubes.... was thinking of adding a "G clef" just like sheet music. alas, I gots no tube bendding skills. maybe something less complicated

Quote Originally Posted by oxy moron View Post
    don't count out the dvd screen, joker.

was thinking of scrolls... since the headboard will have 5 horizontal round tubes.... was thinking of adding a "G clef" just like sheet music. alas, I gots no tube bendding skills. maybe something less complicated
    Forget the scrolls....slap a mattress on that bad boy and concentrate a little more on the "G spot".

I'd like to make something very similar. How much did the material set you back for the project?

just under $300 (not counting the $13,000 shear I got to "operate" at ZTFab's shop to cut the 1/8" plate)

alright, a little update on my bed. both head board and foot board are welded and off to the powder coating, should be read for pick up in a few more days (i'll post pics of it when it pick up). Roughly, this is what it will look like. there will be wook slats on the rails and the mattress will go on that. I'll update the pics as i go.

my pudgy self is about 5'9", just to give you an idea on how tall the head board is.

Now that it's all welded together, how ya gonna get it in the bedroom? Or has your gal relegated you to the garage?
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

oh, the 3 rails are bolted on (in the pic, they're clamped on, for the photo-op).

although... i have done idiotic things like you mentioned. its not so far-fetched.

btw, the thing is SOLID. I knew i would have to bold the rails, which is why i designed the rails to bolt "down" to the triangular platform. Commercial beds i've seen usually bolt to the post, hence the entire mattress is actually resting on the bolts. That's not as solid, and solid ones are $$$$. I realize my design is too industrial looking for most folks, but after it has made the rounds on the welding forum, only me and the woman will see it anyway. we're happy with it.

more pics to come.
    Last edited by oxy moron; 10-27-2009 at 12:49 AM.

I don't think it looks too industrial, I think it is AWESOME. I have been wanting a new bed for some time now, but can't afford the ones I actually like. After seeing what you built, I think I will be building a Craftsman/Mission style bed for myself. Now, if I only had the time...
    Miller Millermatic 212... and that's about it... for now...

If I hadn't seen the title, I would have thought a headache rack for a truck, too, or one helluva grille guard ....

I think the whole design of the bed is well-made. I especially like the gussets for supporting the rails instead of bolting to the posts, as you pointed out. Will the bed be on wheels, or just set right down on the floor? Might consider feet for the tubes .... Paint, or going for the "industrial" look? Suggestion: another crossmember side to side in the center for weight distribution.

NOW, on the rest of the subject matter, ya perverts .......
    -- No D-rings needed, the cuffs and leather straps will fit around those posts just fine.
    -- If the post tubes are hollow, you could add a canopy later, with a good frame for a swing or a trapeze.
    -- A DVD player with a flip-down screen in the footboard would be an interesting project to add, or have a small shelf in the center for one. Perhaps a flat drawer down at the base of the footboard for all your movies and/or assortment of intimate items (toys, lube, massage oils, etc.)?
    -- I think the question on electricity is not WHAT Sam's been plugging and unplugging, but WHO .... (the girls must be pretty kinky over in Sam's neck o' da woods)
    -- Exhaust from the "kick-start model" can be routed outside using some flexible dryer hose, Joker11 - didn't y'all ever see the way Tommy had his motorcycle exhaust set up in "Up In Smoke"? (That's Cheech and Chong, for you young'uns ....gawd, am I old or what?)
    -- Yes, it will definitely be strong enough to hold you, the wife, and several friends ...... and probably Joker's wife's "Milwaukee Vibrator" ........
    Last edited by SpyGuy; 10-27-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Another project to add to the list...check. Good job, I've had drawings for a similar steel bed frame, but without a foot board, for quite some time now. Problem is, every time I get the motivation to start the project, another more important project pops up. The powdercoating was a good idea, it should help a lot with any squeaking problems. Can't wait for the completed pics