5' Trailer Ramps - First "Real" Project
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

5' Trailer Ramps - First "Real" Project

Hello everyone

I am new to the forum and new to welding. I have really liked what I have seen on this forum, so figured I would post my first "real" project. I needed a set of ramps for my utility trailer so I figured it would be a good test. I needed to haul a mini track-hoe (weighed in at 3000lbs). I made them out of 2 x 2 x 1/4 angle iron. They held up to the task with flying colors, how ever that doesn't mean the welds are worth a d**n. Sorry the ramps/welds are rusty in the pictures, I built them the night before I needed them and they have been outside for about a month now. Please pass on any tips/complaints you may have. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: 5' Trailer Ramps - First "Real" Project

Not bad. The only comment I'd have is on how you built them. Almost all the ramps I've used or seen have the angle pointing up like this /\, as opposed to the way I think you built yours like this V. Usually on the small trailer ramps you just pop them off and slide them underneath the trailer. The way you did it the V will want to fill with dirt and crap as you load, then fill with water under the trailer. Thats a recipie for rust for sure.

No biggie, just something to think about when you use them and for the next time. One other thing, you may want to clip the corners on the bottom of the sides. The way I think you have them they will dig into blacktop real easy, especially if you jockey the machine a bit. That can play he11 on a customers driveway digging holes. Been there, done that.
    Last edited by DSW; 10-20-2009 at 08:51 PM.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Thank you for the comments.

That is actually something I kept going back and forth on. The only reason I did it the way I did was that this provided the most points of contact with a tire. I didn't bother to think about them catching crud... Little late for this set...
    Miller Millermatic 212... and that's about it... for now...

I had a feeling thats why you did it that way.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

I'm a tiny bit surprised they held up that well with 3000 lb, but thinking about it a track probably distributes the weight a lot better than a rubber tired rig. That's good info for reference. How wide are they?

Nice job there.

We carry our mini excavators up to about twelve thousand pounds and some of our skid steers on trailers with ramps just like that minus the angle turned upside down. We have never had a bit of problem with a ramp breaking or bending.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I'm a tiny bit surprised they held up that well with 3000 lb, but thinking about it a track probably distributes the weight a lot better than a rubber tired rig. That's good info for reference. How wide are they?

Nice job there.
    Thank you for the response. ...So is that a "I'm a tiny bit surprised they held up" as in your welds look like poo, or that the angle is undersized for the task, or something else? The scary thing is I considered thinner angle at first! They are entirely 2" x 2" x 1/4". They are 5' long. The "rungs" are 12" wide and the overall width is 16".

Quote Originally Posted by allengrading View Post
    We carry our mini excavators up to about twelve thousand pounds and some of our skid steers on trailers with ramps just like that minus the angle turned upside down. We have never had a bit of problem with a ramp breaking or bending.
    That is good to know. I just hope my welds are quality enough not to cause issues. The rungs are welded on top and bottom so I would hope they will stay put...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post

Nice job there.
    Yep, tracked rigs spread the load quite well. I doubt even a rubber tired Bobcat would be an issue. 3000 lbs spread between two ramps for 1500 lbs each at max. Then figure that you'd only have one tire on a ramp at a time in the middle, so that knocks it down to 750 lbs per ramp. If the wheel base is short enough you might get both tires on the ramps at the sa,e time, but they'd be at the ends where you have the most support.

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bartels_metal_works View Post
    Thank you for the response. ...So is that a "I'm a tiny bit surprised they held up" as in your welds look like poo, or that the angle is undersized for the task, or something else? The scary thing is I considered thinner angle at first! They are entirely 2" x 2" x 1/4". They are 5' long. The "rungs" are 12" wide and the overall width is 16".
    Nah the welds look just fine. I was going on the 5 foot length, 2x2x1/4 angle and nothing else but my guess as to what would be beefy enough. That's what makes posts like this valuable. 'Here's what works, here's what doesn't' type of thing.

That works for me!

I build my ramps similar to that, only I have my rungs pointed up so they don't catch ****, and I use 2" channel for the sides. I think the last set cost me $56 in material. I use them mainly to load a 3000 lb skid loader and vehicles.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    I think the last set cost me $56 in material.
    I think I need to find a better place to buy material, as I paid ~$90 for my materials (40 feet of 1/4" x 2" angle). The other place I checked wanted ~$120...

i need to rebuild my ramps for my trailer and they are similar, but i want to build my ramps out of aluminum.
    syncrowave 180 sd

What would the capacity be of an aluminum version of these ramps? I would imagine far less than the steel, but I certainly don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bartels_metal_works View Post
    I think I need to find a better place to buy material, as I paid ~$90 for my materials (40 feet of 1/4" x 2" angle). The other place I checked wanted ~$120...
    I think part of the cost difference is that I use lighter angle for the rungs. If I remember correctly, to make two 5' ramps I needed 1 20' 2" channel and 1 20' 1-1/2"x1-1/2"x 3/16" angle. I made my rungs 10" long so my ramps are 12" total width. I've sold the last two sets of ramps with trailers, but I have parts already cut to make a new set for my dump trailer. I'll try to take pics when I get around to it (soon I hope).
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

We built some ramps at work out of aluminum cuz the dummy driver lost one of them on the highway, so we needed a matched set. I think we used 3" aluminum channel for the sides and 2x2x1/4" angle for the rungs.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

good advice on the position of the angles.........

Does anyone have any recommendations for building a 8' trailer ramp that can hold up to 10000 pounds? Rectangle, square, channel, or angle iron and which gauge. I would like to keep it light as possible without shelling out for aluminum ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by venery99 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for building a 8' trailer ramp that can hold up to 10000 pounds? Rectangle, square, channel, or angle iron and which gauge. I would like to keep it light as possible without shelling out for aluminum ramps.
    8ft long and 10,000lbs? You're looking at needing a buddy to help ya handle those...

Arched and/or trussed rectangle is prolly your best bet. One guy might be able to handle them, but it won't be any fun.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

My 5' ramps shown above weigh in at 68lbs each, just so you have something to compare to.