Aluminum 45ft semi trailer
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aluminum 45ft semi trailer

I just got in a 45 foot aluminum flatbed trailer to do some repairs on. The customer has a small fleet of a flatbed trailers and I really want to make him happy so he brings more to me. I would like any advice from anyone who has had experience working on these. It is mostly cracks in the floor from the flexing that the trailer goes through. I just want to make sure my welds don't crack like the last guys.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1390277867631.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  60.2 KB
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 12RC w/ 15ft Tweco #4 Gun
    Miller 30A Spoolgun
    Custom Thermal Arc TA 10/270 Generator "Thermal Star"
    Smith oxy/acet-propane with weld, cut & rosebud tips
    And of course grinders, chop saws, hand tools

Re: Aluminum 45ft semi trailer

Show a pic of the cracked welds might help

In my experience with boats once AL has flexed enough to start cracking you will spend the rest of its days chasing them.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport plus w/ spoolmate 100
    victor 315c oxy/(act and prop)
    Miller digital elite
    milwaukee power tools

Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    In my experience with boats once AL has flexed enough to start cracking you will spend the rest of its days chasing them.
    This. EVERY single aluminum semi trailer has cracks, and even when you weld them back up, new ones with start in other places, and then back where you welded. It's truly the nature of the beast.

I've seen the corners of trailers that get abused welded up over and over again, and the stresses and strains just crack them right away.

Drill out the ends of the cracks, and also grind out past the ends of the cracks. wire brush with a ss brush before welding between passes and when your done. Compressed air is your friend. Use what ever is a compatible filler metal, most likely 5356. If I get a dirty joint a trick is to pull your first pass, it wont boil and blow out so bad and it allows you to get some filler in. grind out that pass and wire brush it and push the rest. Most importantly, protect them airlines!
    Nothing Ever Got Done By Quitting, Never Give Up.

Is it cracked welds or cracked planks ? If its cracked planks I would check the crossmembers for cracks or broken welds. Also check for corrosion on the bottom side by the crossmember. Pictures of the cracked areas would help a lot. Simply welding over the crack in a plank is a waste of time unless it was damage caused by loading.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

You're going to start fighting a loosing battle over and over again. Once they start to crack you just chase the cracks around. Its usually reached its fatigue life
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

Yep what Dualie said. That guy with the trailers won't here of it though. He's gonna drag that trailer till it's undraggable. Just explain it to him a bit and he should be happy. Weld it and it'll crack somewhere else. Always do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualie View Post
    You're going to start fighting a loosing battle over and over again. Once they start to crack you just chase the cracks around. Its usually reached its fatigue life
    Arcon Workhorse 300MS
    Powcon 400SMT
    Powcon SM400 x 2
    Powcon SM300
    1968 SA200 Redface
    1978 SA250 Diesel
    Miller Super 32P Feeder
    Pre 1927 American 14" High Duty Lathe
    K&T Milwaukee 2H Horizontal Mill

Bryan

Never, AND I MEAN NEVER, have I seen an aluminum trailer that will go the distance that a steel one will.

I've often wondered if the additional payload pays for the trailer during the service life of the trailer as compared to a good old steel one

My old Great Dane left the factory in 1982, and it's still going down the road with no issues.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

I am working on the 3rd trailer from the same guy. He knows the first one needs to be replaced. Most of the cracks are from loading damage but the first trailer is loose everywhere & that is its biggest problem. The dock where they deliver is too low & has steel bumpers so almost every trailer looks the same on the rear. If he keeps paying I'll keep fixing. I have thought about putting steel x bracing between the frame of the one that is real loose.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

Well I have one of this guys trailers back in the shop this one almost lost a complete suspension and axle. It was totally broke off on the driver side and only about 50 percent of the welds on the passenger side have not broken. I really like people who abuse there junk then bring it to me. At least this time he has a spare trailer and I'm able to spend the time in order to fix this one correctly.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

Not trying to be the welding police but we perform annual dot inspections where I work and if this thing is that bad I would wash my hands of it. If he gets into an accident and dot checks that thing out. They might be knocking at your door. There's a professional trailer shop that we send all the big jobs to and they even get to the point where the say no more. There a utility and trail king dealer Just remember to cya

This one is mostly in good shape. These were not very good factory welds. I ground all the welds i could get to. The ones that I couldn't grind well I used 6011 rods. Some after welding with 6011s I plated over with gmaw.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

What am I missing here? 6011?
    "Nothing welded, nothing gained."
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    What am I missing here? 6011?
    The main frame beams are steel. The same trailer is back in the shop again. The customer said after I fix it this time he is going to sell it. The problem it has now is all the beams & channels above the 5th wheel plate rusted through & the plate pushed up between the frame.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397019246433.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  50.5 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397019355476.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  69.4 KB
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

Osweld - you don't need the work that badly. The customer now says that he is going to sell it when he gets it back. If he does (usually these guys don't, they continue to run it ) the work trail will lead back to you and your insurance company. Once you work on something like this it becomes your liability. Don't let yours and your family's future earnings be controlled by someone who care less about proper maintenance. Think long and hard on patching his beaters without him letting you fix them properly.
    Charlie

If this is how he operates I don't think I would touch anything of his again.
    1982 miller blue star 2E ac/dc
    Harbor freight flux core pos
    Victor oa

Quote Originally Posted by osweld View Post
    The main frame beams are steel. The same trailer is back in the shop again. The customer said after I fix it this time he is going to sell it. The problem it has now is all the beams & channels above the 5th wheel plate rusted through & the plate pushed up between the frame.
    I wonder how many times I have heard that one, just fix it good enough to get rid of then a few years latter brought back by same owner for another repair of some kind.

At least with major repairs like this one he gives me the time & money to fix it right. I won't touch a project if I can't do what really needs to be done especially if it is a safety concern.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

I have fixed a few of those , a ton of work . I would cut the aluminum planks back far enough, stagerring the joints on 2 or 3 crossmembers. A wood deck would be easier . Get a new kingpin which you have to size for the thickness off the plate. I would use 3-8 plate for the coupler plate. Cut all the garbage out and start over. I would check over the rest of the trailer for rusted out spots before attempting this. Many times the rest of the trailer is in good shape and the coupler is rotted because crap gets in and cant get out . If you don't have a good 60 amp plasma you will want one , since that crap wont cut very well with a torch. Also you will want to raise the front up since a lot of the work will be done on a creeper seat. Good Luck.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I have fixed a few of those , a ton of work . I would cut the aluminum planks back far enough, stagerring the joints on 2 or 3 crossmembers. A wood deck would be easier . Get a new kingpin which you have to size for the thickness off the plate. I would use 3-8 plate for the coupler plate. Cut all the garbage out and start over. I would check over the rest of the trailer for rusted out spots before attempting this. Many times the rest of the trailer is in good shape and the coupler is rotted because crap gets in and cant get out . If you don't have a good 60 amp plasma you will want one , since that crap wont cut very well with a torch. Also you will want to raise the front up since a lot of the work will be done on a creeper seat. Good Luck.
    I cut 2 of the planks I could cut more but I don't want to splice the wires. My 40 amp plasma did pretty good at blowing through the rust. I am putting heavier beams across but going back with the same 1/4" plate. I am going to plate over the main frame because it is very pitted around where the beams are welded.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

Make sure to put extra support in line with the 2 sides of the fifth wheel. Also bending the leading edge of the plate upwards helps if the trailer was dropped low. A needle scaler works better than anything for cleaning the rust and scale off the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Make sure to put extra support in line with the 2 sides of the fifth wheel. Also bending the leading edge of the plate upwards helps if the trailer was dropped low. A needle scaler works better than anything for cleaning the rust and scale off the frame.

The original inline supports were only 3/16. I am replacing with 1/4. The cross beams were only 6" 9lb wide flange. I am replacing with 12lb. I have another shop bending a plate just like the original. I realize now why people call these Transcrap trailers they are not built heavy enough in some places.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

Our trailer are all alu ,( reitnouer , mack , alutreck ) and the only one we have to stop work on it is the fountain half steel alf alu , we have done so far only rub rail repair to the other , no integrity
    Keep the picture coming please
    I will try my best to be understood

MY DREAM GARAGE