DIY mig conversion kits
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY mig conversion kits

Has anyone done thier own mig conversion kit. Lincoln wants way to much for their kit. I think I can do it for about half of what they want. I cant belive it would be that hard its just a solenoid valve.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this

I will keep you all posted if I do anything

thanks Jeremy

Re: DIY mig conversion kits

Without knowing the electricals of the machine, it's hard to say; but ultimately, you want the gas flowing when you're welding.
    Have you seen the kit? Do you know where the solenoid electrically connects? Is it that simple?
    If you do, and it is, you can measure the voltage, find a suitable valve (probably on ebay) and connect it all up.

You should be able to find an acceptable soleniod/valve from Grainger or McMaster-Carr.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAw#ps-sellers

Model: K610-1
    Internet/Cat #: 900108
    For MIG (gas-shielded solid wire) welding
    Includes .025-.030" (0.6-0.8mm) cable liner, two .025" contact tips, gas nozzle, 2 lb. spool of .025" SuperArc™ L-56 mild steel MIG wire,Harris gas regulator for Argon and Argon-blend gases, adapter for CO2 cylinders, gas solenoid ASCO 2-1342-A. 10 SCFM 28 PSI-.10 orifice, (115V), hoses, connector
    Use with 115V wire feed welders
    Can be used with Weld-Pak™ 100,Weld-Pak™ 100 HD and the Pro-Core™ 100

The Asco 2-1342-a solenoid valve is not something purchase direct from asco or any other supplier. It is a propietary valve made only for lincoln. The reason it is propietary is the way it mounts to the machine with a bulkhead fitting style.

The important information they have listed with this valve is:

10 SCFM @ 28 psi. I think it is important to note that this valve rated at scfm (standard cubic feet per minute) The machine will use and the regulator will be set at 20 cfh or (cubic feet per hour). so this valve is plenty large enough for the flow requiremnts of the machine.

It has a .100 orfice size. Or one hundered thousands of an inch

It is 115vac.

Ok knowing this I can now look for a valve that will fit these peramiters. Here is one I found on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-Electric-Sol...item439a935b30.

Ok it tells me in the ad that it is 120vac so I know its close to what I need. It dosent tell me anything about the flow rate or the orfice size. I then called the seller and he told me he didnt know the cfm rating of this valve but he told me that it does have a 3mm orfice. So with a little math I can figure it out. there is 25.4 mm in an inch. So I take 1 divide it by 25.4 and get = .03937 the decimal equivilant of 1 mm is .03937. So I take that and multiply it by 3mm and get = .11811 or .118 So this valve has a orfice size of .118 which is only .018 or 18 thouthands of an inch larger than the stock asco valve which is .100.
    this valve should work marvelous and actually the guy told me that he sells this valve all the time to a fellow who repairs mig welders and he is very happy with the valve and has never complained.

I really dont see why this valve wouldnt work for ANY mig welder as im sure they are all going to be about the same in flow reqirements to get the 20 cfh rating just as long as the voltage requirements are the same. That may be the only difference from machine to machine is the voltage required to operate the valve. they will all need to be naturally closed and reqire power to open the valve.

Other than that its just a mounting issue and come on how hard can that be really. I have got to say if we cant fabricate a way to mount it then we probably shouldnt be messing around with welders lol.

I would buy this valve for my project but being the cheap sob I am im gona hold out for a cheaper valve if I can find one lol

as far as how to hook it up if you look at the lincoln user manual it has a wiring diagram that shows you what pins to hook it up on on the Control PC board on page 47 of the manual. it even states the solenoid is 115v ac. it is pin H2 and H1.

anyhow thats the total of my research so far. I hope this helps anyone else wanting or wondering the same thing. As I acumulate my parts for as cheap as I can get I will keep posting a detailed description and pictures of my conversion.

I finally acumulated all my parts and did my conversion today. Here is the results

I gathered up some parts. in the pic you can see the regulator I got from harbor frieght. with the 15% off coupon i got in the e-mail from them the regulator came to $32 and some change. the solenoid valve I lucked out and a buddy of mine had this and gave it to me. I saw this same valve sell on e-bay for $17. the nozzle and the tip I have $6 bucks in. I also had some of the hardware I needed like hose barbs and all the screws and such. the only other thing I had to buy was a small section of plastic tube that was less than .50 cents.

All total i have less than $40 in this conversion. Even if I had to buy the valve off of e-bay it would still be under $60 to do this. A far cry from the $151 dollar kit!!!!!!

Here is the space where the stock solenoid valve goes. mine wont fit in there so I have to move it out some and drill some new holes in the case to accomidate this valve. You can see on the circuit board the pins that are labled H1 and H2 which are the pins for the solenoid valve just like the lincoln manual said it would be.

Here is my solenoid valve all ready to be installed into the machine. I have my new mounting bracket that i fabbed up on it and the hose barbes and the wires cut to length and the push on ends installed.

Here is the new mounting hole i had to drill into the back of the machine.

Here is the valve installed and ready to go.

Just one thing left to do and thats install the hoses and reverse the polarity.

Ok now with it all installed I plugged it in and turned the bottle on and set the regulator to 20 cfh and pulled the trigger. The valve has a notible click when it opens and there is a nice steady fhwhwhosh of gas at the gun nozzle. This modification works great. now all i need is some solid core wire and im ready to go

Here is a cool cart I modifed for my purposes. I got the cart for $7.50 at a school surpluss auction.

Anyhow I hope this helps out anyone wanting to do this themselves also.

Looks very clean. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Do you have to pull that cylinder straight out the top of that cart to remove it, or perhaps lay the cart
    over to remove it... as opposed to just tipping it off the back?

The cyl pulls straight out the top. its not to bad as its a smaller cyl. I may change it latter to where it has straps to hold it in and it will just pull out the back.

I have got to say it did work out great and I hope this is good info. I think this will work on any mig that needs converting not just the lincoln.

Good Stuff!! It CAN be done for basically nothing if you look around. Here's my garage sale version:

:

Wow thats awesome, im definetly going to piece together a MIG conversion kit..... now if they only made a spool gun for the weld pak 100
    L-Tec Heliarc 250hf squarewave
    Century AC/DC 250A Stick
    Lincoln WeldPak 100

Wow thats awesome, im definetly going to piece together a MIG conversion kit..... now if they only made a spool gun for the weld pak 100
    Cool man!!! post your progress here and how you did it. It all adds to the knowledge base. Im here if ya need any questions answered. in the posts it should have all the info on where and what type of parts you need.

also if yo go the harbor frieght regulator route like i did go to this site and get the printable discount coupon for any purchase.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...0&keycode=0000

it may expire before you get it but do a search on harbor frieght coupons and there is always one on here somewhere lol. sometimes they will do 20% but thats rare.

Also if you drill new holes like I did work very hard at keeping the chips out of the inside of the machine. chips and electronics just dont mix. i used a styrofoam cup held on the inside where the new hole went so the chips would fall into the cup. it worked pretty good. if you do get chips inside try and dump them out rather than blow out with compressed air. the static from the air could possibly harm the electronic components.
    Last edited by MrBullfrog92; 11-07-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Is this to convert flux core welder to run with gas? Any modifications needed for the flux core "mig" gun? How to route the gas to the weld nuzzle?

Yes.
    Usually no.
    The gun cable will do that for you.. if it was intended to do so in the first place.

This will only really work if the gun was intended to be able to be used for mig.
    It will need to have a gas inlet, intrinsic tube in the cable, and proper gas outlet at the gun end.

If it is a very cheap flux core arc welder (fcaw) only, it may not be practical to convert to to mig.
    Post a closeup pic of the gun end with the cup removed, and also the feed end by the drive rolls and we (or I) can give you some guidance.

Nice work!

hi thats a pretty cool idea. but one part im not clear on I have the lincoln wedlpack 100hd and in the kit it comes with the new liner for the gun. Is it nessary I have that or can I use the liner my welder originally came with and if I have to buy the liner were can I buy it seperately. thanks in advance

The original liner if you look in the manual is meant to run .020 - .035 wire. The new liner that comes witht the kit only has a capacity to run .030 wire at the largest. I think they do this so you cant run .035 wire with the gas conversion as i dont think this machine will pull it. ok so with that in mind then why do you need a new liner???? the stock liner will run everything up to .035. Just dont put .035 in it to weld with gas. I think its thier way of protecting you from yourself. Kind of like passing a law to make you wear your seatbelt lol

Could you post what brand, model and any good info on the solenoid you used? I put a ASCO Red Hat 8263C3 120/60 3/8" and it worked with my own lung pressure but when I connected it to the MIG tank it acted like it was about 75% open. It would still activate to 100% when the gun was depressed but I am curious as to why the valve failed me. I believe it was rated at around 215 psi but after using the little flow valve and check ball to get it flowmeter at 20 lph or fph(?) I thought it would be less pressure on the solenoid. I am surprised that Harbor Freight does not sell a gas solenoid valve since they push the "mig" term a lot but I guess they expect you to just open the tank valve and blow money out the end. By the way, nice job and photos. My Asco mounted in and went thru the back of the Lincoln 100 with only a little forcing. Oh well ... $25.00 down the drain. HaPpY NeW YeAr!

its look awesome man .... specially the frame is much good ..... nice work .... i also now wanna try it ...

It sounds like you got a bum solenoid to start with. Im not sure what mine is but I would have to remove my cover to get all the info again. I will do this but it will take a while as im on a job out of town at thte moment and just wont have the opertunity to do it for a while. Again I used that valve cause it fit all the perameters and a friend gave it to me. Remeber the best alloy in my opinion is FREEALLOY. When i was looking at valves i was seriously considering this valve. http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-Electric-Sol...item439a935b30 The price was right and the rep told me he sells this valve all the time for mig replacement valves to repair shops all the time and has never had a complaint. this is the one i would recomend for the money.

Thanks for the valve info on the auction. That is all I need. Here is a up to date link good for 21days past this post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1973wt_941

If you need to search this item look for this:1/4" Electric Solenoid Valve Air Gas Etc 110-Volt B20N
    Miller Maxstar 172 TIG (3ph)) converted to Maxstar 152 TIG (1ph), Harris & Victor Oxy/Act, Lincoln WeldPak Pro100, Radioshack 15w Soldering Iron but I want MORE and my wife says

that's the same valve I used in my MIG conversion
    Synchowave 180SD
    Bernard 3500SS water cooler
    Millermatic 200
    Parker Plasma Tec 40dv

Operating Engineers Local 12

man , i was gonna say......"cool kart".....everyone else has those gay little baby carts....that's like a whole "welding station" with your grinder and other gear and crap there..that's changed my whole outlook on welding carts now.
    Lincoln SP-135 Plus, Lincoln 175 SquareWave, Iwata LPH 400

Yea i got the cart at the springfield schools surpluss property auction. it cost me i think $7.50 lol. If you remeber in school they had them for putting ovehead projectors or movie projectors on. for those of us that are old enought to remeber those things lol.

the extra storage on it is a great thing as it really cleaned up some space in the shop and plus its right there where you need it and not across the shop.

why dont the pictures work?

yeah i'd like to see the pics.

old photobucket pics maybe
    idealarc 250/250 ac-dc tig
    idealarc 250/250 ac-dc tig #2 used for stick
    lincoln sp100
    hh125
    dual arbor grinder polisher
    30 yrs of hand tools