Re: Mailbox

Shoot the sue happy idiots for trespassing
    Mike
    Constans Fides et Integritas
    Lincoln Weldanpower 150 AC
    Airco Aircomatic MIGet CAV II w/ spoolgun
    Millermatic 30a wirefeeder

Our mail box is 12" diamiter pvc pipe filled with concrete. the inside of the box has 2" of cement lined around it. the only casulty we've had was my mom's ford explorer fender!!! good work on yours.
    safety last

I made one for a customer out of 1/4 plate and put it on a 6x6 wood post. He waited for the weekend and sure enough here they came. He said he laughed he as off that night the next day he found part of a baseball bat in the ditch. After that they stopped and tryed to break the door but the flag is all they could damage. After that they left his but got other nieghbors down the road.
    Miller 330 A/BP Bernard SS cooler
    Miller cst 250
    Miller Big Blue 251D
    Century 210 Mig (first welder I bought)
    Hypertherm PowerMax 800
    Victor torch set
    Ru Fong 31 Mil
    Atlas lathe

I would love to have a camera when the sorry SOB hit that mail box!

Nice job.

That is a sweet mailbox!

Miller Dynasty 200DX Tig Welder

not sure about your area, but here mailboxes have to give. If not and the person who hits it is seriously injured can come back on you. It's sad to say, but it can happen.
    Miller:
    Millermatic 252
    Dialarc 250
    Thunderbolt 225
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Super S-32P
    SCP-200C
    HF-15-1
    225D Plus

Lincoln:
    Arc Welder SA-200

Victor:
    315FC setup with fullsize bottles
    J-28 setup as portable

In the nearest town a man had his mail box smashed five times in a month and a half. He stuck a piece of 6" PVC in the new one and poured concrete around it. Then put it up. A few days later a pick up comes by at night and a kid, [local highschool football player] leans out of the truck with a bat and hits the mail box. It broke his arm and collar bone. Now the parents are sueing. Go figure.

I doubt trespassing is possible as there are right of ways along roads, this puts the mailbox on property that is not yours. That is if it's along the road and not on the house.

I have a friend who wanted to do a big cypress log for a mailbox and was told not to as it has to breakaway in the event a vehicle hits it. He wanted it set in the ground and all kinds of stuff. Now he just has a cedar branch looking thing.

This is from USPS.com

If your mailbox is mounted on a pole or post, check its stability and make sure it is properly anchored. Heavy metal posts, concrete posts, and miscellaneous items of farm equipment, such as milk cans filled with concrete are examples of potentially dangerous supports. The ideal support is an assembly that bends or falls away when struck by a vehicle. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has determined that mailbox supports no larger than 4 inches by 4 inches, or a 2–inch diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe, buried no more than 24 inches, should safely break away if struck by a vehicle.
    Mailboxes are protected by federal law, and crimes against them and the mail they contain are considered a federal offense. Violators can be fined or imprisoned for each act of vandalism.
    Miller:
    Millermatic 252
    Dialarc 250
    Thunderbolt 225
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Super S-32P
    SCP-200C
    HF-15-1
    225D Plus

Lincoln:
    Arc Welder SA-200

Victor:
    315FC setup with fullsize bottles
    J-28 setup as portable

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Crane View Post
    few more pics
    You should wrap the post with some kind of wood looking vinyl wrap or something. So when the unsuspecting horny teenager goes to take a whack at it ............. BONK!

Quality job.

You could also use a LARGE (automotive) coil spring at the base of the post. It would "break away"...

Re: Mailbox - USPS REGULATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by MudHog View Post
    not sure about your area, but here mailboxes have to give. If not and the person who hits it is seriously injured can come back on you. It's sad to say, but it can happen.
    I agree wholeheartedly that the jerks who bash mailboxes should suffer. I thought about building one myself but found the USPS REGULATIONS are too restrictive but you can always see if they will give you approval. I would just hate to build one then they tell me to take it down. And then there is the government people that tell you to go here and the next tell you to go there for approval, and so on...

Below is a press release of the regulations I found and it applies to ALL AREAS of the country . . .

http://www.usps.com/communications/n...08_0826_DR.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Aug. 26, 2008

Tips for erecting and maintaining your mailbox

NASHVILLE, TN — The U.S. Postal Service wants to remind customers that in addition to maintaining a nice looking lawn and mulching the flower bed this fall, don’t forget that the mailbox may need sprucing up as well. After all, your letters deserve a clean, safe place to stay, too.

Here are some helpful housekeeping tips for your mailbox:

* Curbside mailboxes should be placed so that they may be safely and conveniently served by carriers without leaving their vehicle. Boxes must also be on the right–hand side of the road and in the carrier’s direction of travel. Boxes must be placed to conform to state laws and highway regulations. Generally, mailboxes are installed at a height of 41 to 45 inches from the road surface to the bottom of the mailbox or point of mail entry. Mailboxes are set back 6 to 8 inches from the front face of the curb or road edge to the mailbox door. Because of varying road and curb conditions and other factors, the Postal Service recommends that customers contact the postmaster or carrier before erecting or replacing their mailboxes and supports.
    * If your mailbox is mounted on a pole or post, check its stability and make sure it is properly anchored. Heavy metal posts, concrete posts, and miscellaneous items of farm equipment, such as milk cans filled with concrete are examples of potentially dangerous supports. The ideal support is an assembly that bends or falls away when struck by a vehicle. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has determined that mailbox supports no larger than 4 inches by 4 inches, or a 2–inch diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe, buried no more than 24 inches, should safely break away if struck by a vehicle.
    * Your mailbox identifies your address, not only for the letter carrier but for the police, the fire department, emergency workers, other service providers and visitors to your home. We recommend that you put your address on both sides of the mailbox, and that the numerals and letters be at least one-inch tall.
    * Check the door and its hinges. Make sure it closes properly to keep your mail in and the wind and rain out.
    * Do you see any sharp edges or nails sticking out? Protect your hands and those of your letter carrier by filing off dangerous points. Also sand and repaint or replace your mailbox if it’s rusty — you don’t want to have to get a tetanus shot, and neither does your letter carrier.

The Postal Service™ requires “USPS Approved” curbside mailboxes whenever a mailbox is newly installed or replaced. You can find them at most hardware stores. You may use a customer-built curbside box if the Postmaster gives prior approval and if the mailbox generally conforms to the same specifications as approved manufactured mailboxes. Contact your local Post Office before erecting a custom-built mailbox.

AND . . .

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/508.htm

3.2.2 Custom-Built Mailbox

The local postmaster may approve a curbside mailbox constructed by a customer who, for aesthetic or other reasons, does not want to use an approved manufactured box. The custom-built box must generally meet the same standards as approved manufactured boxes for flag, size, strength, and quality of construction.

DON'T YA JUST HATE BIG GOVERNMENT?
    Last edited by rookie_steve; 11-18-2009 at 05:17 PM.

I love the fact that the big bad football player broke bones in this incident. Should have dragged him in the back of his garage and broke a few more then leave him in the street for his buddies to come pick him up. Then the parents "SUE" whatever happened to consequences and common sense? You do something stupid you should pay for it. Instead of giving the kid community service by replacing his mailbox and doin the labor and maybe teaching him a lesson we reward him with cash. What a joke

Pretty sure my mailbox will give way if hit by a car, it's only 30" in the ground... the 3 bags of concrete that surround the post will make it a little more stout than a 4 x 4 stuck in the ground 2'. I wonder if the people who make the Fort Knox mailboxes have been sued yet.

http://www.fortknoxmailbox.com/

Maybe I should look into getting my mailbox "approved" by the USPS!!

That is a sweet mail box, I just so happen to have some 8" Sch 40 layin round, I think I just found a use f or. =)

great work!!!!!!! i started laughing when i saw the weight! looks good !!!!!!!

Throw some reactive armor on that puppy.

Reactive armor? Not a bad idea... So does that mean the bat will be turned to shrapnel or will they just find it in the next county?
    Miller Millermatic 212... and that's about it... for now...

Guy down the road got his $150 Home Cheapo mailbox smashed Fri night, my neighbors' is still in pieces....thinkin' about another side business!!

When i first moved into this rural home, my box was beat up at least 10 times the first year, so i made a cement box, (wasn't into welding at that time) about two weeks later the guy up the block ran it over with his tandem disk & tractor, I have gone thru at least 5 boxes, Now i will build a 80 pounder.....

You, sir, are a champion of the fortress mailbox. I remember some kids in High School, the day after they tried to whack someone's recently reinforced mailbox, the driver had a huge dent in the rear door of the car, from the baseball bat bouncing off of the concrete pillar. I'm sure that they didn't continue that hobby

thats a beautiful build. very nice.. i would die to see video of your neighborhood douchebags in action. that'd be worthy of the time to set up the camera.
    http://kawispeed.com/ -moderator and tech deluxe
    www.myspace.com/trickortrack -cuz i have no life

I thought the 1/8" mail box house a guy I work with was good, But this is the best I've ever seen. Great work.

Solid box!.... but I don't have that kind of time. Took the advice and went to www.fortknoxmailbox.com and got me one. WOW! My mailbox weighs 96 LBS and also locks. Anyway, they have a box that weighs 160LBS! If you want to see it....(http://www.fortknoxmailbox.com/pages/senator.htm), but I didn't need that big. I asked if they have been sued, but they said no. It's up to the owner of the box and to their knowledge they haven't heard of anyone. The person with fort knox mailbox mentioned hearing of someone making a mailbox out of steel to look like a house and painted it to look like it was made of wood. Someone tried to sue them, but the mailbox owner counter sued for property damage or something like defacing property and the case was thrown out. HAHA! The only way you can be sued is if you live on a state highway, and you don't put your mailbox on a "break away post". They said you can always counter sue for property damage anyway....Well, now I say BRING IT!

Nice work.Our local PO gives people h377 if they build there own.So a man a few streets over built one to code.He buried a 6x6 post four foot deep,cut to height,and lag bolt a steel plate to the top of it.Then he welded a frame for the mail box to sit on and screwed it down.Last,he wrapped the mail box with 1/8th or 3/16th plate and painted it all black.It got hit once.I know this because there was a bent up metal bat laying under the box one morning.It also had scratches from the hit.