Used engine driven welder?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Used engine driven welder?

What should I look for when looking at a used engine driven welder a guy has a used miller bobcat 225 for sale and I might go look at it what are some main things to check on the engine driven welders? What are these worth used? Bobcat 225g plus welding/power generator 8000watt

Thanks James
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Used engine driven welder?

Look for overall condition. You can easly see if the owner has taken good care of it. Regular oil changes are the main thing you are looking for. Check the airfilter to make sure is farily clean. I don't know much about the Bobcat specfic issues, you don't want a unit that has been abused. Oil should be changed every 100 hours, look to see if it is clean, same with airfilter. I would pass on units with over 2000 hours. A five minute conversation with the owner should give you a good idea of the care. A lite used machine that has been well cared for is great. Make sure they let you used the machine before money changes hands.
    Mountain Metal
    Dynasty 200DX
    Coolmate 1
    Miller Trailblazer 302 W/ Kohler
    Miller Suitcase 12VS Wire feeder
    Weldcraft 26 TIG Torch
    Miller 210
    Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics 51 Plasma
    Victor O/A
    Jet 7x12 L Cooled Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press

Bring some one with you when you go to look at it. Have some one run a grinder while you weld. The bobcat I have on a service truck can only do one or the other. Not both at a time as advertised.

Agree, bring someone with you. Check for any blue smoke from exhaust at idle and while under load while welding. Make sure it idles up correctly when striking arc or placed under electrical load and then idles back down when its supposed to. Check amp selectors to make sure that they do in fact change current output when changed by welding at different settings. And most important, try out the machine to the point that you are either satisfied or disatisfied with it. You are the final judge. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
    A few of my toys !

Crunchbang
    LinuxMint
    SolydX
    MX14
    Manjaro

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Chicago Electric 80amp Inverter
    Victor O/A

what would be the most /least someone would put down for a good used machine do alot of contractors trade out machines every coupla years or wait until the machines are absoulety used up and try and get rid of them
    miller maxstar 150 hobart handler 210 w mig conversion hobart 250 arc force plasma cutter boston ind cutting torch miller performance auto darkening helmet milwalkee 14in chop saw 10,000 watt generator huge drill press and industrial band saw

Most contractors or equipment rental companies that I know of tend to get rid of their units when they are either used up or the expenses for repair or upkeep of the units start to outway the units value. There are exceptions, but that has been the experience in my area.
    A few of my toys !

Crunchbang
    LinuxMint
    SolydX
    MX14
    Manjaro

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Chicago Electric 80amp Inverter
    Victor O/A

Quote Originally Posted by kovo View Post
    Should Miller weld. for samller welder generator, china is booming, but less use the famous engine for quality. EW240G have some good point.

KOVO welding generator. I will see the web updating

Miller, linclon is stand firmly in America. Engine driven welder is sepcial, will be replace electric generator, and be multi-purpose equipment
    Well, that was entirely useless.

JamminFabrication,

Your best bet on a used engine drive machine is to watch for one on ebay & the List. I'll say right out, if the machine in question is the one in the pic you posted, unless it's cheap & I mean under a grand, look for something nicer. From here it looks rode hard & put away wet. Bet it has a couple thousand hours on it by the looks of it's outward appearance.

It may take awhile to find something nice for a bargain, but they are out there. Machines with low hours (under 500) & in very good cosmetic shape can be had in the $1800 range often, sometimes for even less. I have purchased several on the internet & got them all reasonably priced. I would look for a used Trailblazer, being they do so much more than a Bobcat & are comparable in price on average.

If you get a machine from a private owner that took care of it, you'll most likely end up with a machine that will last a long time & even retain good resale value if you choose to sell it later on. As was already mentioned, checking the operation of the unit, the color & amount of exhaust smoke will give you a good indication of what kind of shape it's in. Take a look at the color of the oil too. Should be clean & not smell burned.

You can test the AC outlets with a multimeter or bring a grinder. I would bring a short set of leads for weld testing just in case the machine didn't have any. I wouldn't go overboard with testing it out tho, being if it's a private owner who took good care of his machine, he may get a little nerved if you want to spend an hour messing with it & asking him too many questions, followed by a lengthy haggling of the price. Some guys will allow you to pop the covers & take a look inside, some won't. I wouldn't unless there was something specific I wanted to see. Just use common sense. In most cases, the initial vibe you get off the seller & the ambiance of the situation will tell you more than rooting around the insides of a welder will. Some joe blow with a yard full of junk & the auction tags still attached to said rotting equipment will give you a pretty good indication what his deal is. Not all resale guys like this are bad, just be aware what you're doing & who you are buying from.

Consider any statement of a "walk away guarantee" AS IS where is, absolutely NO recourse whatsoever after money changes hands. IMHO, guys who use terminology that's construed to be viewed as a benefit to the buyer, but is nothing more than a cleaver, thinly veiled way to say AS IS where is are out for their own best interests.

I have done the buy & sell thing for a long time. I usually offer the machines I sell with a warranty. Most buys on the net are going to be as is tho. From my experience, getting a reasonable assertion of the condition of the machine & person selling it goes a long way. If it runs & welds well & the seller seems to be a genuinely sincere guy, prolly got a winner. The guys who show up, acting like they're making the biggest purchase of their lives & want to see how many hoops I'll jump thru for them, I usually tell them to hit the road.

I think smawgmaw summed it up best: Check it out to the point you are satisfied with it. Bring someone who's knowledgeable along if you can.

Stay away from retired rental fleet machine with high hours.

There's a reason they're trying to get rid of it. You don't want their headaches. Sure, some air cooled units run for over 3000+ hours needing nothing but an oil change, but for what ones in great shape with 500 hours sell for if you shop around, I wouldn't chance it.

IMHO of course.
    Last edited by 7A749; 07-20-2010 at 09:02 AM.

someone near me has a Lincoln Ranger 9 low hrs, around 700, this new listing doesnt say the hours, & I dont remember, but he has been trying to sell for 1 to 2 months, has 25 foot leads, & a 100 foot remote, but it is extremely weather worn, panels are extremely faded. he claimes no problems but only used it 13 hours. but says come try it out, right now he still isnt selling it at $1,000

I myself dont know anything about them, or his, but noticed the price, which has been steadily dropping almost every week. he keeps on I may have to look if they are decent machines?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by knucklepanshovel View Post
    someone near me has a Lincoln Ranger 9 low hrs, around 700, this new listing doesnt say the hours, & I dont remember, but he has been trying to sell for 1 to 2 months, has 25 foot leads, & a 100 foot remote, but it is extremely weather worn, panels are extremely faded. he claimes no problems but only used it 13 hours. but says come try it out, right now he still isnt selling it at $1,000

I myself dont know anything about them, or his, but noticed the price, which has been steadily dropping almost every week. he keeps on I may have to look if they are decent machines?

Randy
    That's a good machine. Very reasonable hours, lots of life left in it. Being he has a remote, that increases value right there. I had a Ranger 8 some years ago, got it from a retired rental fleet. It was the ONLY good experience I have had with a rental machine.

Of course, I got it for $1100 repainted with 960 hrs. It worked flawlessly until I sold it a couple years later.

That machine should sell for $1200-1800 depending on geographics & demand. Even machines like these & in rough condition can bring high dollar in areas catering to rig & cross country welding. The face panel can be replaced, the sheet metal painted. If it works good, no problem.

If you got it & the accessories for under $1400, you're doing quite well.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    That's a good machine. Very reasonable hours, lots of life left in it. Being he has a remote, that increases value right there. I had a Ranger 8 some years ago, got it from a retired rental fleet. It was the ONLY good experience I have had with a rental machine.

Of course, I got it for $1100 repainted with 960 hrs. It worked flawlessly until I sold it a couple years later.

That machine should sell for $1200-1800 depending on geographics & demand. Even machines like these & in rough condition can bring high dollar in areas catering to rig & cross country welding. The face panel can be replaced, the sheet metal painted. If it works good, no problem.

If you got it & the accessories for under $1400, you're doing quite well.

Good luck.
    he has some sad story, no license, & needing to move & needing money bad, I think it started out around $2000, but every week or so he drops price, & as last time I looked it was $1,000 last week it was $1,200, my problem is lack of funds. but when I get paid this week I may see if I can borrow some & make him an offer. why not?

as for face plates? are they expensive? I am a sorta novice.. sorta...
    welded off & on for 30 years, was considered best in my class in college in welding class in 1988, but never persued it. but lately I am trying to get into it pretty hard. plus going to try to take industrial welding at college this fall.

bought a Hobart pipeline welder with a Willys last week. been playing with that, it was alot cheaper than the Ranger, & he was asking $1,500 for the Ranger, when I agreed to buy the Hobart, now looking at this too.. lol if I can swing a deal.

Thanks,
    Randy
    Last edited by knucklepanshovel; 07-20-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklepanshovel View Post
    he has some sad story, no license, & needing to move & needing money bad, I think it started out around $2000, but every week or so he drops price, & as last time I looked it was $1,000 last week it was $1,200, my problem is lack of funds. but when I get paid this week I may see if I can borrow some & make him an offer. why not?

as for face plates? are they expensive? I am a sorta novice.. sorta...
    welded off & on for 30 years, was considered best in my class in college in welding class in 1988, but never persued it. but lately I am trying to get into it pretty hard. plus going to try to take industrial welding at college this fall.

bought a Hobart pipeline welder with a Willys last week. been playing with that, it was alot cheaper than the Ranger, & he was asking $1,500 for the Ranger, when I agreed to buy the Hobart, now looking at this too.. lol if I can swing a deal.

Thanks,
    Randy
    Face plates aren't too awful bad. There are some companies that repop them like Left Coast Enterprises. Lincoln OEM may cost a few bucks tho. WW member Onan Parts may have one, he's one of those guys that has all kinds of stuff like that & may be able to help. If it's still legible, you can hit it with some clear coat & try to bring it back. I've done a few like this & saved them.

Here's a link. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ht=saving+face

www.billswelderrepair.com May be another good place to try. Give them a call & ask for Kaye. She's great. Stumpf's in IL may have a good used one laying around as well. Weldersales here on WW could possibly have one too.

If you can get the money up & offer $1000-1100 you got a super deal there. I would off the Hobart unless you bought it as a tinker project. I certainly would to buy the Ranger if I had a chance.

Hope this helps you out a little. Post it up if you land the deal.
    Last edited by 7A749; 07-20-2010 at 11:28 AM.

JamminFab,
    basically there's two components to check out: the "welder/generator" and the "engine".

Regarding the engine, look at the oil and SMELL the oil. the carbs usually have an electric float shutoff that can go bad and fill the crankcase with fuel. Pull the plugs and run a compression test, and if you can find a vacuum port, check that as well.

Regarding the w/g, take leads if not available and several different kinds of electrode. Run it on all frequencies, voltages and currents (hi, low ac, dc+, dc-, and anything in between). weld with it hot and cold to see how the gen reacts. Take a small drill (low amp draw) and a grinder (high amp draw) to make sure the "auto idle" will kick on/off. Basically, run it "through the mill"

And remember, what doesn't work can be fixed if the price is right.
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

JamminFab,
    basically there's two components to check out: the "welder/generator" and the "engine".

Regarding the engine, look at the oil and SMELL the oil. the carbs usually have an electric fuel bowl shutoff that can go bad and fill the crankcase with fuel. Pull the plugs and run a compression test, and if you can find a vacuum port, check that as well.

Regarding the w/g, take leads if not available and several different kinds of electrode. Run it on all frequencies, voltages and currents (hi, low ac, dc+, dc-, and anything in between). weld with it hot and cold to see how the gen reacts. Take a small drill (low amp draw) and a grinder (high amp draw) to make sure the "auto idle" will kick on/off. Basically, run it "through the mill"

And remember, what doesn't work can be fixed if the price is right.

Also, regarding what it's worth, I've paid $500 for gems and $1200 for POS's, so you don't want me answering that
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....