Looking at a new truck. Opinions... - Page 5
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Looking at a new truck. Opinions...

Technology is great Steve, but only when it works...
    My name's not Jim....

I am going to look into geting some recaps for my pickup. I bought a pickup that had a almost new set on it. I was parting it out and didnt want the tires so i took them to a friends tire shop to sell.This was over 10years ago when a new tire was around 100.00. I stoped by one day and he handed me 200.00 i was shocked and a little mad because i didnt think the buyer would get his moneys worth out of them.But the guy put them on a dully and over loaded it all the time and drove like a mad man custom hauling on long trips. He got alot of miles out of them and want me to find him more.

Update: yesterday, the voice command on my 2014 Chevy totally failed. Push the push-to-talk button on the steering wheel and it did nothing. Did the normal re-set routine (shut the engine off, remove the key, open the door, close door, restart engine) several times--no luck. This morning, it worked like a champ.

Like I said, it wakes up in a different world every day. I can't believe anybody in their right mind would want to buy a vehicle that drives itself! Hell! GM can't even make an ignition switch that works!
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Old Doug View Post
    I am going to look into geting some recaps for my pickup. I bought a pickup that had a almost new set on it. I was parting it out and didnt want the tires so i took them to a friends tire shop to sell.This was over 10years ago when a new tire was around 100.00. I stoped by one day and he handed me 200.00 i was shocked and a little mad because i didnt think the buyer would get his moneys worth out of them.But the guy put them on a dully and over loaded it all the time and drove like a mad man custom hauling on long trips. He got alot of miles out of them and want me to find him more.
    Recaps might seem like a good idea but can you imagine being on a motorcycle next to a big rig and having one let go? Getting popped with thirty pounds of rubber and maybe some razer sharp cords mixed in and they should be outlawed. I guess if you got an old beater truck you can justify saving a couple of bucks but the added risk of a blowout taking out the entire side of my new truck is not worth it.

The last place to skimp on a vehicle is tires.

I was pretty sure I had updated this a few times, must have gotten lost...

So. Let's play the "Diagnose my truck" game.

A while back (6-8 months?) my truck died going down the road and refused to restart. Google suggested a crank sensor. Installed a new one and was up and running again. After that, it really liked to throw a P0300 code at 2700-2800 rpm AND 70-72 mph. Only under those conditions. Fine most of the time, but my new house requires me to hop on the interstate to go pretty much anywhere. Speed limit 70mph. The P0300 is random/multiple cylinder misfire. Google tells me the crank sensor is the most likely cause. Not that the sensor is bad, but that I need to do the "crank sensor relearn" procedure which only a dealer can do. I've just tolerated the code so far with the intention to get around to it after things settled down with the move and baby.

About 2 weeks ago my water pump started leaking. One new pump, lower hose, and fluid change later I was up and running again. Thought I had it whooped.

Not so fast. Now, in addition to the P0300, I was also getting a P0332 "Knock sensor 2 circuit low". Low what? I don't know, but apparently the knock sensors, connectors and sub harness are known to go bad in the 100-150k mile range. I'm at 160k. So that makes sense to me. I'll get a couple sensors, sub harness, and intake manifold gaskets on order here soon.

What is bugging me is that the P0300 which had become as predictable as the sun rising has just up and quit. I am now only getting the P0332 and it is on virtually every trip.

I'm starting to wonder if I don't have a weak engine ground or something. Or maybe it's just a fluke.

Current plan is to replace knock sensors and see what happens.

What do you guys think? Truck currently seems to run fine despite the codes. Maybe a slight dip in giddyup if anything.
    My name's not Jim....

Not sure if you’ve got a wiring schematic but sounds to me very much like a “common ground “ like you said. Ford and some Jeep vehicles have had this issue for years. Especially those in the salt / rust belt.

Knock sensor low is probably low voltage in the circuit, would be my guess.

I wouldn't disregard those misfire codes. If you're actually getting mis-fires and dumping raw fuel into the exhaust the catalytic converters will suffer for it. One of the reasons I traded my '08 chevy 2500HD was due to it needing a new set of cat converters. I had some mis-fire issues that were cured with a new set of factory plugs and wires. I'll bet the dealer did some other preventative maintenance things like re-learning the crank position sensor while they were replacing the plugs and wires under warranty.

Anyway the cat converter problems didn't show up for a couple years afterwards. But the investigation into the issue uncovered the fact that multiple mis-fires and dumping unburned fuel into the cats can degrade them to the point that the CEL will set due to a downstream O2 sensor error.

Good luck.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Still trying to solve this p0300. The knock sensor code went away.

Got a local shop with a real scanner to check it out. Lot's of missfires on a few cylinders. Did new plugs and wires. Got significantly better, but still missfires. We've hooked it up 4 times now about a week apart. Each time different cylinders. So, we believe it is a system problem rather than an individual cylinder problem.

Google pointed towards running a CKP relearn. Reported symptoms match mine exactly and I did replace the crank sensor a while back. Tried to run a CKP relearn and ran into a new problem. Procedure requires revving to fuel cut. We couldn't get the fuel cut to kick in. So we could not complete the procedure.

Checked fuel pressure to rule out a fuel problem and was acceptable, but at the bottom of the range.

We're kind of stumped. Going to try injector cleaner and cleaning up engine grounds.

Any ideas?
    My name's not Jim....

What do your grounds look like under the drivers floorboard along the frame? My truck did some goofy stuff when they were corroded
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Still trying to solve this p0300. The knock sensor code went away.

Got a local shop with a real scanner to check it out. Lot's of missfires on a few cylinders. Did new plugs and wires. Got significantly better, but still missfires. We've hooked it up 4 times now about a week apart. Each time different cylinders. So, we believe it is a system problem rather than an individual cylinder problem.

Google pointed towards running a CKP relearn. Reported symptoms match mine exactly and I did replace the crank sensor a while back. Tried to run a CKP relearn and ran into a new problem. Procedure requires revving to fuel cut. We couldn't get the fuel cut to kick in. So we could not complete the procedure.

Checked fuel pressure to rule out a fuel problem and was acceptable, but at the bottom of the range.

We're kind of stumped. Going to try injector cleaner and cleaning up engine grounds.

Any ideas?
    I shoulda remembered that when I made my earlier post. Along with new plugs and wires the dealership said they also did a injector flush with their fancy machine just for that purpose. I can't say for certain what fixed the issue with my truck. But it is possible to get those misfires to stop. Checking ground connections is a good idea too. Look for a list of them online so you can check them off one by one. I found such a list for my chevy 3500HD and it had about 20 ground connections to check. I gather that you can have issues if any of them are not good and solid.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Another thing that can happen is water can pool on the top of the engine and cause problems with knock sensors. Local mechanic told me most of the ones he changes are basically rotted out
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's

You mean this ground? Yeah, looks like a good place to start...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My name's not Jim....

Nope. That's a retainer for the cab. Found the little grounds. They are in about the same condition.
    My name's not Jim....

Gotta love living in the rust belt. I ordered the intake gasket and knock sensors for my 02 2500 hd but it has fixed itself for now
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's

I think maybe we got it fixed.

Did a few more checks to rule in/out a manifold leak. Nothing indicated a leak. I asked to attempt the crank relearn one more time before throwing parts at it since the last attempt did not complete the process. This time the crank relearn went successfully. Took maybe a minute. Misfire count now read zero on all 8 cylinders. It was in the high hundreds on a few cylinders when I first started some weeks back. So I went for a test run. So far, so good. We'll see if it stays that way.
    My name's not Jim....

deleted post
    Last edited by jerje; 07-16-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200
    Miller Spectrum 125c
    Oxy/Acetylene
    Optrel e684
    Lathe and Milling Machines