1/8 Inch to 22 Ga. - Tips for welding?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

1/8 Inch to 22 Ga. - Tips for welding?

Ok, I know you read the title and probably thought I'm a complete moron, that's what most people in my town think, But Its an honest question. I Built a stove for my shop out of two 55 Gal. Drums and I put different sized Square tubing in the top drum. It was 1/8" thick. The drums are about 22 Gauge metal. I kept burning through the drums when I was wleding the tubing to it, and I was wondering if you had any tips for me for my next stove (A Wall-Tent Stove)

I currently use a Millermatic 212 AutoSet, gas shielded, to do my welding. Is there a better way to weld tubing to the drums? Even If I can't weld it with my welder, I have acces to nearly all types of welders at my school.

Thanks for the help.

Re: 1/8 Inch to 22 Ga. - Tips for welding?

Tig would give the best result, but it can be done with mig. Use small wire (.023) and concentrate your heat on the tube and wash the weld quickly and lightly onto the sheet. If you can, turn it so your welds are in the vertical position and weld down, not up. Also, make sure you have a tight fit-up, as gaps will only make it harder to not burn through the sheet. Tack it up in several spots to avoid warping and seperation creating big gaps. Clean all paint and rust off the metals.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Ok. Thanks for the help.
    For my smaller wall tent version I'll take my 35 Gal Drum into the welding shop and will weld it together during class with one of the TIG machines.

Thanks again

Try setting the machine for the thinner stuff, but then pointing the heat at the thicker stuff.
    Jack Olsen
    My garage website

Also how you design the joint can help. "T" joints, and butt joints will be harder than say a lap joint. Can you set it up so that some of the drum material can be folded up onto the heavier material and then weld thru both.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Try setting the machine for the thinner stuff, but then pointing the heat at the thicker stuff.
    I've tried setting it for 22 Ga. Metal, but Its kind of hard to explain because I dont know all the welding vocabulary...Its "choppy"? If I wasnt tired I might be able to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Also how you design the joint can help. "T" joints, and butt joints will be harder than say a lap joint. Can you set it up so that some of the drum material can be folded up onto the heavier material and then weld thru both.
    I have to weld them as T joints because the tubing is through both ends of the drum. Its hard to visualize but It has to be a T joint

Choppy to me says the wire feed is to fast most likely. You could also turn up the heat, but on thin metal thats probably not the direction to go.

Have you got a pict of the unit? I think I can visualize what you are talking about, but a pict would help. I'm betting there is a way to redesign the joint, but I'd need a good idea how you are currently putting it together. Does the tube sit on the drum as a leg or is it like a stack and it goes over an opening?

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

I'm going with everyone else here, set for 1/8th, turn your wire speed down, get the puddle on the thick stuff and do short smooth motions to wash the puddle over onto the barrel, I did this for a shop door that was 1/8 angle frame skinned with roofing tin, worked out pretty good, its a bitch to avoid burning through though, I feel your pain, I had to do several patch panels.....
    looking at new trucks while carrying two car seats around the parking lot to "test fit".......humiliating.

Bump weld it. Some may refer to it a stitch welding. Set the mig welder to a hot setting for the tubing, aim wire to tube side of joint and pull trigger for a second, stop, repeat this to produce desired weld bead. This method is slower than a continuous weld but the results a far better when dealing with thin to thicker metals.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

I ended up stitch weldng most of it. It isn't the pretiest, but it keeps my hunting tent hot.