Welding on crawler idler wheels
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welding on crawler idler wheels

Looking for some advice. A friend of mine has a crawler with the idlers wore pretty bad on the outside so he keeps throwing track. He has asked me to fix the problem. There is room to build them up so was thinking of getting some AR-400 or some type of AR plate rolled to the correct dia. and welding with 7018. There would only be the one pass on the inside. The outside will take multiple passes. Do I need to worry about bearing shrinkage? Is there a better rod/material I could be using. I have'nt done much heavy equipment like I know some of you have. Thanks.

:help

I am new to this stuff ( my first post ) so if it's all messed up forgive my ignorance.
    Dutchman

Re: Welding on crawler idler wheels

Welding a separate piece of metal in won't hold up, you need to build up with rod or wire.

Use a good build-up rod or wire; Stoody, Postalloy, Rankin among others make this. 7018 will give less than acceptable results, it tends to mushroom out under pressure. You don't want to make it extremely hard, if you do you could accelerate the wear on the track links.

I'm not sure I understand the specific application, but I'd recommend a stronger electrode than 7018 if you're welding AR plate. 9018 or 10018 would be a better match for mechanicals. You should also look at preheat, depending on the thickness of the base metals involved.
    Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com

jsfab and I were posting together. If using a buildup and hardfacing electrode is right for this application, that would be the best way to go. Make sure to get a hardfacing electrode with the correct properties; a product with balanced metal-to-metal wear and metal-to-earth wear resistance would probably be best.

Talk to a customer rep for one of the companies mentioned, or Hobart or Lincoln for that matter, and get their advice one which products and procedures will produce the best results.
    Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com

That smile is for the quick response. Thanks a bunch. The last thing a person wants to do is mess up a job. I will look into building up instead of the AR. I have a Trailblazer 302 so wire or rod either one is an option. Any preferences ? Oh,the idlers are not off the crawler yet but I am thinking they are probably running on a tapered roller bearings. That is why I was wondering about the shrinkage.
    Dutchman

they actually usually run on a large bushing and are sealed with duo-cone seals and filled with oil

unless you are working on something totally obsolete, its usually hard to beat the cost of a reman unit

Nevadanick is correct about the remanufactured parts.

In any case, a person should find, and correct if possible, the cause of the uneven wear before running the crawler again.

Hi Ya oneweldingpapa and Welcome to the Welding Web Family. You best bet for a proper response to your questions would be to post them in the General Welding Questions forum.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Thanks specter for that input. I passed the info on to my friend and he's going to decide what he wants to do. The crawler is not that old. It's a smaller komatsu that does not get that much use. I believe the reason the idlers are wearing the way they are is because there is way to much tension on the tracks but cannot convince otherwise. I will let you all know how everything turns out if he decides to go ahead with the fix.

Thank all of you for the advice and the welcome. I really like the forum.
    Dutchman

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

There should be a noticeable sag in the tracks on top of the top idler.

If he is throwing track, the other track components could be worn, most importantly the pins and bushings. Have they been turned? How do they feel? Egg shaped? If they are, then they need to be turned as well. Most of the track throws I have encountered have actually been from worn sprockets...If the sprockets are pointed or sharp, they need to be replaced. They should be a rounded or dull tip to the point of the sprocket.

As far as building up goes, I have seen some good buildup take place with 309L. Although it might not be as good as some other hardfacing rods, it works pretty well.
    Welders:
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Penncraft 230 (oldy but goody)
    HF Plasma 30 (Italian)
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy/Acetylene/Propane
    Lincoln SA200
    Everlast Power Tig 250 EX
    Everlast PowerUltra 205