Structual AWS D.1.1 certification questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Structual AWS D.1.1 certification questions

My class is going towards getting this certification. Some students have uncovered different certification specs. Main question is this: While piece remains tacked, can you use a grinder / wire wheel on your weld?

Re: Structual AWS D.1.1 certification questions

I am not sure what D.1.1 saws about that. I know through my union we are not allowed to use any powered tools to clean the coupon not even a wire wheel. I also know that in MA and CT you are not allowed to use power tools to take a DOT test.

Honestly if you clean well with good sharp chipping hammer and a wire brush you should be good. I always bring a small and large wire brush, a scratching awl, sharp chipping hammer and a small and sharp chisel and a small ball peen hammer to use with the chisel. No need for power tools to pass this test.

Yes, as per AWS D1.1 you can use any powered tool you choose.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

Around here in addition to a AWS cert you need a WABO ( state of washington ) cert. for structural steel. The AWS and wabo are generally the same test except no grinding on the root or the cover pass. Additionally any grind marks outside the groove are a bust. So most local testers do NOT let you use grinders on the test, except pipe tests.

The other requirement is the machine needs to zero'd out so you know how to set it up.

My thought is your in trouble if you need a grinder on a test, and need more practice.

A tool you can use, is a small sharp chisel, or a file ground sharp. I find that the chisel stays sharper than a chipping hammer and a couple of quick swipes is all you need to clean off/out your weld.

If I have to take a no grind test I have a nice big pipeliner file modified just for the purpose.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

If you think you need a grinder your not ready for the test .

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    If I have to take a no grind test I have a nice big pipeliner file modified just for the purpose.
    Yeah tozzi, same here. Hammer, chisel and a hacksaw blade was all I used. Ah the youth of today. They probably get to test in an airconditioned room as well "gotta keep the proctors computer cool"
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys