WEC Welding Institute
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

WEC Welding Institute

Any of you guys know anything about WEC welding institute? I have applied and was hoping I might could find some ppl on here who have info on their program.

Re: WEC Welding Institute

I know that its free if you agree to work for them for 2000 hours at $18 an hour.

Search this website. From what I've read, it's a 1 year waiting list, lots of traveling, and the 1st year pay is pretty low for what you'll be doing. Kinda bummed me out.

5. What is the cost of tuition?
    The 20 week program, valued at $16,000, is free if the applicant agrees to work 2,000 paid hours in the field with WEC Welding and Machining after graduation. The starting salary is $18 an hour. After the 2,000 hour apprenticeship is completed, welders will be paid $28 an hour or higher in keeping with market rates for Specialized Welding jobs.

If you can afford to live in SC for 20 weeks, Westinghouse will educate you, furnish you with a job paying $18.00 upon completion (with a CONTRACT requiring 2000 hrs completion) and guarantee you a paying career afterwards?? Where was this when I needed it?
    Westinghouse has their finger in many pies. Government contracts for sure! I would think an education by them would be worth what they're asking and then some. If you can pass the education and fulfill the obligations, I wouldn't hesitate. If they didn't have a waiting list I would be surprised!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

Well... I have signed up on their website, but I have yet to hear anything back. I am prepared to wait them out, but I figured they would have emailed me back already to get the ball rolling. I hear it is 11 months for the Rock Hill, SC location and about 6 months for the Chattanooga,TN school. I will be more than happy to work for $18/hr for a free education and a good paying job after a year! In this economy there aren't too many things that look this good. Not only that, but it seems as if this will put me on a career track in a field that has lots of growth opportunity and advancement. Hopefully, before too long I will hear from these guys and get an opportunity to prove myself. In the meantime, if there is anyone out there that has any info or experience with this program please chime in and share your knowledge.... it will be greatly appreciated!

I signed on in October of 2009 and I had e-mail the GM. He said thanks for the application and we will give you 30 days notice of your start date. It wasn't much but I felt a little bit better about the whole thing. So, me and my wife are going to relocate to Rock Hill in July.

Virginia Beach VA Dominion of the over taxed and over charged.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Search this website. From what I've read, it's a 1 year waiting list, lots of traveling, and the 1st year pay is pretty low for what you'll be doing. Kinda bummed me out.
    For those new to welding $18hr is not low specially if you've never made that much before.

I was just wondering because i heard they pay there Union hands more than 28.00 an hour, and it doesnt take them 2000 hrs to become a welder for them. all you have to do is join a boilermakers or pipefitters union and get all the benefits.

I just checked their website and the website is shutdown. The last time I checked about 2 or 3 weeks ago they said they weren't taking anybody else for a while. If I'm wrong please let me know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PCI Narrow groove View Post
    I was just wondering because i heard they pay there Union hands more than 28.00 an hour, and it doesnt take them 2000 hrs to become a welder for them. all you have to do is join a boilermakers or pipefitters union and get all the benefits.
    It does take over 2000 hours to go from apprentice to journeyman. You're dreaming if you think you can learn enough, working in the union, to go from novice to journeyman welder in under a year. (40 hours per week x 50 weeks = 2000 hours)

The value of the training at WEC is over $16000. Divide that by the 2000 hours and add that to the $18 per hour = $26 / hour starting pay. That is great money for first year tradesman in any state.

There is a good reason why WEC has a one year waiting list; it is a great deal for anyone that needs a career (not a job, you get a job at McDonalds) and is willing to put some effort into the training program.

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA

When I was a kid, if you wanted to learn and earn, you either joined the military or got hooked up with an apprenticeship program. WEC looks something like an aprenticeship program, you learn and then work for lower bucks to make it worth their while to teach you. Later you can command the big bucks with the freedom to walk.

If my son wanted to work and learn; I would point him in that direction. He is doing wellat what he does and seems to like his job.

I wish anyone who wants to improve themselves well. Just please write home oftem,
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

I was told there was a one and half year waiting list...it's been over 3 years since I signed up...never heard a peep. all well.