Econotig Runs Full Bore
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Econotig Runs Full Bore

This is my first post on the forum. My reason for joining is to repair my Econotig...two days ago it went south. It is a 1994 model and have never had any problems with it. When I strike an arc, where the flame is normally a quarter to a half inch, it generates one and a half to two inches--and, sparks do fly. I'm in touch with a member of another forum who said I should look into this one. In the next paragraph I'll paraphrase his message:

"Problem seems to be the circuit board when this happens. Possibly the scr which is at Q13 on the board? It has a metal heat sink bolted to it and 3 legs connected to the board. There are 2 blade terminals on the board edge next to each other that run to a winding around the transformer. If you unhook 1 of the wires and it still runs wide open it is the board. If unhooking 1 of the wires reduces to mimimum amps it is supposed to be the transformer. I may have this backwards though."

Would appreciate any help.

Re: Econotig Runs Full Bore

contact member 7A749 he is very knowledgeable at questions like this.
    millermatic 200
    millermatic 150
    miller bluestar 2E
    purox / oxweld O/A

Many thanks to RWS WELDING and to 7A749 for taking the time to answer my posting and give comments. Tomorrow I'll open up the welder and have a look. I'm naturally hoping not to find any melt down of component parts. I agree that the PC, Control Board or some solid state part has bit the dust. When I get things working again, I'll get back with you and share the findings. Again, thanks for your help--both of you. Ptologic8

Many thanks to RWS WELDING and to 7A749 for taking the time to answer my posting and give comments. Tomorrow I'll open up the welder and have a look. I'm naturally hoping not to find any melt down of component parts. I agree that the PC, Control Board or some solid state part has bit the dust. When I get things working again, I'll get back with you and share the findings. Again, thanks for your help--both of you. Ptologic8

Without looking at a schematic,and in general.
    If you are getting too much power, and you unhook the drive wires from an SCR, the power should go to minimum .
    If the power stays high the SCR is probably short.
    If the power goes to minimum, the drive circuit has a problem.

A few different type of drive circuits are used.
    Many SCRs use a pulse transformer to power on the SCR, a failed pulse transformer will usually make the power low.
    Some SCRs are triggered by opto-couplers a shorted opto-coupler might trigger an SCR into high power mode.
    If you can find a schematic, the advise would be far better.

in general what do you guys think of this machine..im thinkin bout gettin one but dont wanna spend the money if its not a good machine primarily for 1/4-3/8 aluminum and ss plate and tubing
    hate to hijack the post but i thought since yall new so much bout em you could give me a fair answer

thanks
    gary

Quote Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
    in general what do you guys think of this machine..im thinkin bout gettin one but dont wanna spend the money if its not a good machine primarily for 1/4-3/8 aluminum and ss plate and tubing
    hate to hijack the post but i thought since yall new so much bout em you could give me a fair answer

thanks
    gary
    It is only a 165 amp machine- not enough for 1/4"--3/8" AL
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Here’s the bottom line and the final entry on my Miller Econotig problem (it is now fixed and operates perfectly). Found that both Suppressors (there are two) were bad (they fried/burnt-up) that protect Q13 (SCR). Importantly for you to know is the fact that the part number (Miller Part Number: 164-418) found in the Econotig Manual is incorrect (according to Miller Technical Support). The correct part number to purchase is Miller Part Number: 164-412.

The suppressors in the new bags are physically described as: Miller SUPPRESSOR, TRANSIENT 420. V, 5W BI-POL, 164412, QTY: 1, 12/01/09 (I would interpret this to mean that the contained part is a suppressor; it protects against transient voltage spikes up to and including 420 volts; the amount of protection in watts equals 5; it does not require polarization, or observing polarity; the part number is 164412; quantity is one; manufactured on December 1, 2009). I wired 3-each in parallel to effectively triple the protection. Works well.

Thanks to everyone who gave input...much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptologic8 View Post
    Here’s the bottom line and the final entry on my Miller Econotig problem (it is now fixed and operates perfectly). Found that both Suppressors (there are two) were bad (they fried/burnt-up) that protect Q13 (SCR). Importantly for you to know is the fact that the part number (Miller Part Number: 164-418) found in the Econotig Manual is incorrect (according to Miller Technical Support). The correct part number to purchase is Miller Part Number: 164-412.

The suppressors in the new bags are physically described as: Miller SUPPRESSOR, TRANSIENT 420. V, 5W BI-POL, 164412, QTY: 1, 12/01/09 (I would interpret this to mean that the contained part is a suppressor; it protects against transient voltage spikes up to and including 420 volts; the amount of protection in watts equals 5; it does not require polarization, or observing polarity; the part number is 164412; quantity is one; manufactured on December 1, 2009). I wired 3-each in parallel to effectively triple the protection. Works well.

Thanks to everyone who gave input...much appreciated.
    I know this is a 5 year old thread but a new problem for me. My schematic shows the supressor part number to be 044-482. If anyone is still monitoring here please let me know que pasa. My serial number is KE575007. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NHEngineer View Post
    I know this is a 5 year old thread but a new problem for me. My schematic shows the supressor part number to be 044-482. If anyone is still monitoring here please let me know que pasa. My serial number is KE575007. Thanks.
    Call Miller for the latest part numbers.

that part number is still good. should be able to get from any Miller shop for around $23.

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    that part number is still good. should be able to get from any Miller shop for around $23.
    Thanks Mr. Ccawgc.