wood stove refurbish and welding
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

wood stove refurbish and welding

I have a wood stove find ( garbage pick ) and it is missing number 16 and number 15 in the picture cook plate and vent ring?

I priced replacement parts and they would be close to $200 shipped

I want to weld mild steel plate over the hole and weld a vent pipe fitting directly where it vents.

the stove will be in a detached garage and on a concrete floor and vented properly used for those winter projects when i don't want to freeze.

I does not have to be bullet prof or very pretty just airtight and safe enough for the location
    will i get acceptable results with my arc welder!
    it is cast iron can i use 1/8 steel or less for the patch?
    if all goes well i will post weld and stove paint rebuilt pictures.
    Thanks JR
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: wood stove refurbish and welding

This will be a nice easy project. The big thing will be to not warp the chimney ring welding it together. Just cut a circle for the lid, and weld up a bolt on chimney base ring. just copy the cast parts. the lid doesn't have be tight, it just sits there, you would be unhappy with a welded in lid, it is much better to be able to open it. , the chimney base can be bolted on and sealed with some fiberglass roping, (just roll up some fiberglass cloth and lay it between etc). The old stoves were all bolted because it worked, No use reinventing the wheel. Don't expect it to be real airtite, very few of the cast stoves were.

Nice little stove, a friend heats his trailer house with one.
    past work toys; lathes,mills, drills, saws, robots, lasers ironworker, shears, brake, press, grinders, tensile tester, torches, tigs, migs, sticks, platten table, positioner, plasmas , gleeble and spot. Retired June 30, 2009.

they wont need to be welded, make them a snug fit an they will carbon up/seal
    the cook top plate was made to come off to add wood
    the flute will sutt/carbon up also
    use 1/4 or 5/16 or thicker if you can
    bolt the parts that can be bolted
    idealarc 250/250 ac-dc tig
    idealarc 250/250 ac-dc tig #2 used for stick
    lincoln sp100
    hh125
    dual arbor grinder polisher
    30 yrs of hand tools
    52 pitch blocks 6p-26p
    rake gauge -pitch gauge
    G&D prop repair
    918-207-6938
    Hulbert,okla 74441

Hi guys
    I never thought about bolting it down for some reason
    that is the way the original vent was attached and will be much easier to do.
    and if I find heavy enough steel i will just drop in the cook plate piece.
    it looks like the diagram right now because i took it apart.
    ill have to find some fiberglass rope for the seams.
    Thanks

Your can also get high temp silicon caulk to seal around the flue/stovepipe and any other part you want sealed. I just installed a wood stove in my shop and the stuff works quite well.

You need to get the correct gasket rope - not fiberglass which will burn up quickly. Check with wood stove dealer or hardware store (not Lowes or HD). Also, as I recently posted, check craigslist for stove pipe/chimney pipe - will save you BIG $$$$.