My little Lincoln 225
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My little Lincoln 225

Well I guess it's time to start another project. First of all let me tell you a little about this welder.

In 1976 I bought this 1970 C10 Chevy. It had the 9.00 x 16 military tires, 350ci V8 and 3 spd. on the column.

Before front view.

I shortly after that had it painted and added a 4" lift kit and installed 4 new 14x35x15 tires and wheels.

After front view.

A neighbor asked what I was going to do with the tires and wheel I took off of the truck, because he had a friend who needed a set for his truck. Well I ended up trading the guy the tires and wheels for a Lincoln AC-225-S welder. I was 16 and had never welded before. I got the welder and changed the plug so it would fit in my mom's dryer outlet, bought a box of rods and started welding. It has a 50 amp plug on it now but I threw that dryer breaker many times trying to get something welded. I acquired some #2 welding cable some years back, cut the leads and added the plugs so I could reach farther out into the driveway.

I've welded so many things over the last 39 years with that welder and it has never let me down. It's been sitting unused in a warehouse for the past 15 years and finally I brought it home. Before that It was in my shed / pump house sitting next to a water softener. I think the salt took it's toll on the left side but nothing I can't fix. I also noticed the bottom louver is bent so I'll have to straighten it up.

Front and other side are in pretty good shape for it's age.

As is the back.

Well speaking of it's age. The Code number is 6304-909 which from another thread I've determined, but not sure that it was made in the 9th month of 1969. Since I got it in 1976 and it was used.

The only thing it will need other than paint and new lead pigtails, is the electrode selection guide for the top. If anyone has one of these with the paper decal intact on the top please post a picture of it so I can make one.

Well that's the story of my little Lincoln 225. I'm not sure How long this one will take but I'll post up the progress as I go along.

Democratic People's Republic of North Koreafornia

Re: My little Lincoln 225

Awesome! Cool story on how you acquired that little gem. On the 8th day, God turned off his Lincoln Buzz Box, to rest. Noah built the arc with a Lincoln Buzz Box. If ET had a Lincoln Buzz Box, he could have gone home sooner. Chuck Norris uses a Lincoln Buzz Box. When Adam got kicked out of the garden of Eden, God let him take his Lincoln Buzz box with him. The first "Energizer Bunny" was made with a Lincoln Buzz Box.....

In other words, the Buzz Box just lasts and lasts and lasts. Nice 1970 Cheby too!!!!
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member
    GOLF

Best plug in welding machine ever made.If you removed everything on the planet that has been touched by it's sparks the place would look empty.I betcha there will be 10-15 running around this lake today after 7 am.They all look about like that one.
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer
    Screw gun --bad battery (see above)

Thanks for the responses guys, I'd hate to guess how many 50lb boxes of welding rods I've burned with this welder.

Ya I wish I had kept that truck.

I've gotten side tracked on some other obligations so haven't done much with the welder yet. Maybe I can make some headway on it this weekend.

Well I was able to get some done on the Lincoln yesterday.

Took the covers off and had a good look at them.

I had installed a new fan when I put the welder away and it has never had power put to it.

Inside looks good, I'm glad none of the rust made it completely through. That might change when I sandblast it.

Not much to it when you get the sheet metal off but it's still heavy.

Face plate is in good shape, I'll do the same to it that I did in my other welder refurb.

This is going to be the challenge. If anyone has got a decent photo of the decal would you mind posting a photo.

I've started redrawing the decal but need some more of the information to complete it. I just added some figures to see if I got the position correct. I know some of the amperage values are wrong.

Well that's it for now.
    Last edited by Doug_; 03-12-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Nice. As I so often tell guys that are looking for their 1st machine, these things are tanks. I bet even without the restoration that machine is good for another 40 years and then some. Cost used is often dirt cheap.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Nice. As I so often tell guys that are looking for their 1st machine, these things are tanks. I bet even without the restoration that machine is good for another 40 years and then some. Cost used is often dirt cheap.
    Thanks DSW

I found an ad for a 1962 AC225S for $140.00.

You're right about them being tanks. I've never had one bit of trouble with mine except the fan quit working, I stopped by Graingers and picked one up for about $7.00.

They are a great first time welders machine.

I got a little more done today.

I pulled the Amperes Selector switch apart and gave it a good cleaning.

There wasn't much corrosion, pitting or arcing on the contact par of the switch.

So it cleaned up nice.

Even the contacts were clean.

So I just hit them with a little scotchbright, 1500 sand paper and a clean cloth.

I put some light grease on the contacts, contact bar and the ratcheting mechanism and reassembled the switch.

I'll just clean off the transformer, check the connections to make sure their tight, hit the power switch with some contact cleaner and lube and the insides will be finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ View Post
    ... I found an ad for a 1962 AC225S for $140.00...
    The initial price of the AC225 was about $158. (1961). Prices actually went down a few years later, and street prices were even lower. I saw one listing in a Pop Mechanics (or Pop Sci) for the AC180C at $80. and I think the AC225 was just under $100.

On the very old ones, note that the leads are side-by-side and widely spaces. Some even seen to have the old-style metal selector knob.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    The initial price of the AC225 was about $158. (1961). Prices actually went down a few years later, and street prices were even lower. I saw one listing in a Pop Mechanics (or Pop Sci) for the AC180C at $80. and I think the AC225 was just under $100.

On the very old ones, note that the leads are side-by-side and widely spaces. Some even seen to have the old-style metal selector knob.
    Thanks Oldendum

It's interesting to know that the AC225 came out in 1961. I'm just guessing that mine was made in 1969. since the Code Number on the front is 6304-909.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Very cool story & cute little welder

Very interested to see how this one turns out.
    Thanks Steve,
    This one is going a little slower than the Miller, I've just been so busy.

I contacted Lincoln and have the Electrode Selection Guide decal coming. I'm not sure it's going to be the same as whats on there since it's the replacement for all code numbers. I'll just have to wait and see.

I have a 180 version I bought for $15.00 that was made in 1959. I had to replace the leads along with new stinger and ground clamp but the little buz box welded well when I plugged it in. I have burned many pounds of rod with that little welder and still have it sitting in the shop. The one I have has an all copper transformer and the tap wires are flat copper wire 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 thick and it doesn't have a fan to cool it.

Those little buz boxes made it affordable for every farm in America to have a welder to repair farm equipment. I see those little buz boxes on Craigslist in my area for $100 or less almost weekly.
    Last edited by kctgb; 03-19-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kctgb View Post
    I have a 180 version I bought for $15.00 that was made in 1959. I had to replace the leads along with new stinger and ground clamp but the little buz box welded well when I plugged it in. I have burned many pounds of rod with that little welder and still have it sitting in the shop. The one I have has an all copper transformer and the tap wires are flat copper wire 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 thick and it doesn't have a fan to cool it.

Those little buz boxes made it affordable for every farm in America to have a welder to repair farm equipment. I see those little buz boxes on Craigslist in my area for $100 or less almost weekly.
    I never knew there was a 180 version until I saw the ad that's posted. I agree they are great little welders and Lincoln has sold so many of them and continues to sell lot today.

Another interesting bit about the AC-225-S is the circle around the 75 amp setting. It was originally advertised that you could use the welder to thaw frozen water pipes. You would just hook the ground to one end of the pipe and the electrode holder to the other end, set it to 75 amps and turn it on. However Lincoln doesn't advocate that practice anymore but they continue to put the circle around the 75 amp setting.

Well the decal arrived today and it wasn't the one that was on my welder.

So I sat down and tried to duplicate the one for my welder. This is what i came up with.

Last edited by Doug_; 03-22-2014 at 03:41 AM.

Consider the new decal "modernizing it"
    Vid goes well with thread.
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer

OMG ! I forgot !
    The previous video should have the following warnings attached :

Eating bacon on a regular basis may cause increases in triglycerides, cholesterol and blood pressure resulting in bla bla bla bla.
    Consumption of eggs has been determined bla........ Eggs should be thoroughly cooked and the area washed bla bla......
    Allowing pets on the bed is NOT recommended due to bla.........
    Consumption and/or sale of raw milk may be prohibited in your locale and has been linked to bla bla...
    When riding on the back of a hay bailer its recommended that full safety gear inclu bla bla...
    I'm tired. That was the first 4 minutes.

This message provided as required solely by those living in the land of duh fee.The other world may disregard.
    Consult your attorney if anyone is injured due to implementing the skills and methods depicted in this video presentation:
    If you're currently on unemployment or disability simply press 666 on your Obamafone and one of our attorneys will get back to you immediately.

sad but true
    Last edited by Burpee; 03-22-2014 at 05:43 AM.
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer

I was able to do a little more work on the welder yesterday.

I started out by spraying everything down with simple green, then scrubbing and rinsing it off.

The transformer cleaned up nicely.

I gave the face plate a coat of Krylon satin clear.

I'll get down to the paint store and pick up the paint next week. I'll also get the top decal printed and make new lead pigtails.

Looks like you still have it all apart.
    Have you thought about installing plain old miller receptacles to connect your leads with?
    That way you only have the protruding input power cable.

I put them on everything that needs a work or ground lead and if it needs a stinger lead also.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 (dialarc) stick AC/DC and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer, now with foot switch!!
    Home made DR44G alternator welder

Quote Originally Posted by mad welder 4 View Post
    Looks like you still have it all apart.
    Have you thought about installing plain old miller receptacles to connect your leads with?
    That way you only have the protruding input power cable.

I put them on everything that needs a work or ground lead and if it needs a stinger lead also.
    Hey mad welder, that's a good idea but I already have the camLok connectors and they're on the lead also, so I'll probably keep them.

Idea: To save fan, keep it oiled, and make it easy to do so.

Submitted for what it worth. Registered to pass along this idea.

Found this topic because google showed me the recreated Electrode Selection Guide I needed. Thanks.

I'm a homeowner hobbyist and bought an old AC 225 a few years back to build a heavy duty cart for my home backup generator (Onan 6.5 NH, battery, 6 gal. marine fuel tank). Welder previously owned by seller's grandfather/farmer. Ditto exterior condition, repair steps.

Long story short. Discovered fan was not working when I took it apart to inspect condition and clean. Noticed a label on side of fan said "Oil every 90 days." But the fan is in a not-easy-to-get-at location, so guessing it had never been oiled and just froze up. (Didn't know it was easy to buy replacements.)

Oiling and wiggling restored fan. But what to do to make oiling fan easier? (Reusing OP's picture links for illustration purposes to save words.)

Notice above picture. Fan is mounted through a bracket, and the bracket is attached BELOW the cabinet sheet metal. (My fan bracket was bolted on below sheet metal: bolt from outside sheet metal screwed into threaded holes in fan bracket. Didn't look like fan/bracket would easily go through hole and could maybe be dropped inside if not careful.)

I repositioned fan bracket from inside cabinet to outside cabinet sheet metal: same position/orientation, just on outside. (Drilled out bracket threaded holes, welded captive attachment nuts inside cabinet sheet metal. Fan sits in same hole, only a little higher.)

Notice above picture. Rear recessed cabinet panel is attached by exterior bolts.
    Removing recessed panel exterior bolts exposed top-mounted fan/bracket.
    Remove fan bracket exterior bolts, remove fan/bracket (fan now mounted on outside of sheet metal, connecting wire is long enough), oil fan, replace fan/bracket, replace recessed panel.
    No more complete cabinet disassemble required to oil fan. Less chance of dropping fan inside cabinet.

This idea provided in exchange for copying OP's recreated Electrode Selection Guide.

Question. Is it worth it to upgraded to the AC 225 AC/DC buzz box. (When I bought mine it came with a lot of rods and I used 6010 to build my gen cart. Web instructions say they are polarized rods and would have splattered much less if I'd used correct polarity.)

P.S. During my gen cart build, my HF auto-darkening helmet quit working: dead batteries. Repaired it to use easily replaced batteries: same type. Can supply that info if needed. (Will have to be word description as can't easily supply pictures.)
    Last edited by dratkinson; 07-03-2014 at 09:37 PM.

You can install a DC side to you AC machine or get a DC cheater box and run 6010 real well.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 (dialarc) stick AC/DC and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer, now with foot switch!!
    Home made DR44G alternator welder

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ View Post
    I never knew there was a 180 version until I saw the ad that's posted. I agree they are great little welders and Lincoln has sold so many of them and continues to sell lot today.

Another interesting bit about the AC-225-S is the circle around the 75 amp setting. It was originally advertised that you could use the welder to thaw frozen water pipes. You would just hook the ground to one end of the pipe and the electrode holder to the other end, set it to 75 amps and turn it on. However Lincoln doesn't advocate that practice anymore but they continue to put the circle around the 75 amp setting.
    IIRC, Lincoln rated the AC225 at 100% duty cycle at 75 amps. I have always preferred infinite amp adjustment over stepped for stick, but I'd like a nickel for every on e of those that has been made. Just goes to show that AC only stick is not going to cripple you with as many rods as you've run through it.

AC-180 was made for REA farm electric program 37amp max load ,GE ,P&H,Miller ,Hobart Westinghouse,Forney,Marquette all made them for the farmer.This is the most popular welder in the world now 310 dollars still a great value. They have welded race cars , pipe, beams and everything else AC works fine.

Hey guys for some reason I'm not getting notified when a post is made to this thread even though I'm subscribed.

Not a whole lot has been done to the welder in the past 2 months. I did however get it sand blasted and primed. I've been waiting for the weather to cool down and the humidity to drop. I also picked up the paint and some new screw for the sheet metal.

I tell you what, I've got one identicle to it. Not sure, but yours may be a tad bit older according to the number on it. These old boxes are fantastic! I had a newer one, that just didn't cut it. It amazes me how an antique can run circles around the new stuff. The only thing I had to replace was the amp switch cause the shaft was broke, and I put a new switch handle on it too. I only give $25 for the box about 8 years ago.

Here is a pic of the face. It's just a tad bit different than yours. My # is 7533-808

Name:  IMG_20140905_213031_361.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  63.9 KB
    Home hobbiest:
    Build all sorts of BBQ pits & smokers (trailer & non)
    Lincoln 225 Cracker box (antique)
    O/P torch
    Redneck tools out the a$$.
    They get me by!