extension cords
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: extension cords

extension cords

I was helping a friend welding up a project for him. We were using a powermig 140c with .035 fluxcore. This was my first time with fluxcore but my mig welds look good and are sound. The porosity drove me nuts. Started at the recommended settings, cleaned everything with an angle grinder, made sure I had a good ground. I started to think that the porosity was just something you had to live with using fluxcore. Well, as I spent some time thinking about the problem, I remembered someone here talking about adverse effects of using an extension cord on a welder. The extension cord was a must because of location, so I took over my 10 gauge 100 footer. Didn't touch the settings on the machine and presto, like magic, good looking clean (except for flux) welds. Just passing this on. Reading about it here (probably a lot of months ago) led me to the solution to my problem.

Rene

Re: extension cords

Good post.

Thats one of the things a lot of guys forget about those little 110v machines. Since they are already faiely underpowered for what many are trying to do with them, line drop can cause some signifigant issues. Long lite gauge cords can affect their performance signifigantly.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Good point, I learned many years ago on a 110v machine that an extension cord causes cold welds and almost no penetration. Of course i learned this the hard way when the welds broke...

If a extention cord, even if its the proper gauge , creats line drop severe enough to screw with weld output power. whats to stop line drop created by hard lines in a home or garage?

Ive had this rolling around in my head for a while.
    Realgear 140 MIG
    More DeWalt tools that I prolly need
    DIY 160 amp 40 OCV MOT Stick Welder

Proper gauge will cause very minimal drop. That was his point. By switching to the 10 gauge cord, power available to the welder increased.

i just got ahold of 100' of 4 conductor 8 awg!! shouldnt be any line issues with that beast
    Realgear 140 MIG

same rules apply to connections: frayed cable, broken clamps, dirty & loose fittings will cause flow restriction

Quote Originally Posted by metalpool View Post
    i just got ahold of 100' of 4 conductor 8 awg!! shouldnt be any line issues with that beast
    Other than the hernia you'll get draging it around!

Oh even though it's a bit late, you probably could have gotten away with 3 conductor unless you are planning to use this to pull both 110v and 220v like some do for an aux outlet on a cart.

If a extention cord, even if its the proper gauge , creats line drop severe enough to screw with weld output power. whats to stop line drop created by hard lines in a home or garage?

Ive had this rolling around in my head for a while.

As far as this, Yes you will get line drop in hard wire. Thats usually why large buildings use sub panels. You can use a larger line to feed the sub, then keep the runs short for lighter lines. If you had to run 14/2 1000' back to a panel, you'd see the drop. I can see it in my original garage circuit when I plug a heavy motor in, like my table saw. The 14/2 runs thru the entire house and back the way they wired the house. It's the longest run in the house (at least 150') and I can see the difference vs the line that runs straight to the panel, 30 ft away.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Other than the hernia you'll get draging it around!

Oh even though it's a bit late, you probably could have gotten away with 3 conductor unless you are planning to use this to pull both 110v and 220v like some do for an aux outlet on a cart.
    the 110/220 thought had occoured to me. couldnt beat the price. 00000

It is a heavy sob though. all copper
    Realgear 140 MIG

Another thing is, you should never use extension cords while they're coiled-up. Possible fire hazard.
    Don't let that iron in your lungs, turn to lead in your @$$!!!!

I had a travel trailer on a deer lease some years ago and I need to hook up the elec. I had a 100 ft roll of 12 ga 3 conductor romex but I only needed about 10 ft. Since it was a temporary connection, I decided to use the entire roll and just add a plug to one end and a socket to the other....even left most of the roll in the box it came in.

After running the AC in the trailer for a while I checked the "extension cord" and it was hot as hell. I realized using the entire roll was a bad idea so I decided to unroll and cut off only what I needed. Problem was that the insulation had melted turning the romex into a big lump...total waste.
    Miller 211 w/ spool gun
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Longevity 60i IGBT plasma
    O/A w/ crappy chinese torch/gauges
    South Bend 10K lathe
    Grizzly 4029 10x54 mill
    Grizzly 7x12 hor bandsaw
    angle grnders, bench grnder, bench belt sndr
    7.5 hp 80gal cmprsor

Just a data point. My V150S manual claims it can be run on 200' of 12 gauge extension. I have used up to 150' with no problems on 220v.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

update, just un-coiled the find and discovered shes actualy 100'

no more line drop on the dock yipee!!
    Realgear 140 MIG

I wired up my new 230 with 50A 6g!,she's got some powa!!!
    HOBART IronMan 230 MIG
    Smith Lifetime WH200 HD O/A Torch