Craftsman Toolbox Plans?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Craftsman Toolbox Plans?

Has anyone thought about/attempted to make their own toolbox? I cannot stomach spending $500 - $1000 just for something to keep my tools in at home. Although I admit it would work better than the cardboard boxes and plastic toolboxes I currently have my home tools in.

I looked around at knockoffs of Craftsman/Matco toolboxes. Even the cheapest knockoffs (Grizzly, Husky) are still pretty expensive.

Wanted to see if anyone has attempted, and what level of success they had.

PS - Feel free to write back and let me know what a cheap *** I am.

With all the metal and time it would take, just buy one!
    Owner of Welding Wiki,
    The free wiki based resource for weldor's around the world.
    http://www.weldingwiki.com
    We have cookies!

I feel your pain having wanted/needed a central storage solution for my misc tools. I have a nifty work bench, but it's covered with small craftsman tool boxes. I'm in the process now of building a 17 drawer, 15 cubic foot rolling tool chest out of aluminum. Where I work, I have near unlimited access to aluminum extrusion and occasional access to 1/8" sheet. All my drawers are made from 1/8" sheet. The frame is made from 2"x2"x1/8" wall box tube. I've allways had difficulty setting drawer slides level and accurate, so I cut out a section of the tube and welded in a T-slot extrusion. The fabrication has slowed a bit due to other household needs, but I hope to have it done by year end. I've added a gas strut mechanism to raise the tool chest lid to provide access to a 3" deep tray beneath. The drawer slides are all 200lb rated and cost me less than $5 per pair ordered online. I've scavanged the caster and most of the hardware bits and with what I've had to buy in terms of Argon, I'll have less than $200 into it when it's done. Sure I'll also have more than 100 hours, but thats the fun of it. I plan to start a thread in the projects section with more pictures as i get closer to finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    There are no small projects

Nicely done Imagineer,

Be sure to keep posting pictures as you move forward.

I know what you mean. When I built my work shop, I looked at all kinds of toolboxes and didn't see myself paying $1000 for them. I finally built one out of wood, more like a dresser, that's 12' wide, 3' deep and 4 1/2' high. The top is made with 2 x 8" and can be used as a worktable. Very cheap to make, very sturdy and can handle ALL the tools you can put in there! Probably cost me around $250 to make. I used a lot of materials from second-hand construction supplies stores.

As luck would have it, I was in the right place at the right time. While working as a contractor at Anthem I got to know some of the guys on the facilities crew. One day Tim came to me and said, hey we're throwing out a buch of micro film cabinets. They look alot like tool boxes, would you be intresed? I jumped at the chance to check them out, and am I gladd. I was given five cabinets 36"w 16"L 4"D. 11 drawers tall. I don't say this to brag, just to say I'd hit up some used office supply shops and see how much they go for. Most around here sell file cabinets for about 100.00 so I would think these would be similar in price.

Quote Originally Posted by imagineer
    I feel your pain having wanted/needed a central storage solution for my misc tools. I have a nifty work bench, but it's covered with small craftsman tool boxes. I'm in the process now of building a 17 drawer, 15 cubic foot rolling tool chest out of aluminum. Where I work, I have near unlimited access to aluminum extrusion and occasional access to 1/8" sheet. All my drawers are made from 1/8" sheet. The frame is made from 2"x2"x1/8" wall box tube. I've allways had difficulty setting drawer slides level and accurate, so I cut out a section of the tube and welded in a T-slot extrusion. The fabrication has slowed a bit due to other household needs, but I hope to have it done by year end. I've added a gas strut mechanism to raise the tool chest lid to provide access to a 3" deep tray beneath. The drawer slides are all 200lb rated and cost me less than $5 per pair ordered online. I've scavanged the caster and most of the hardware bits and with what I've had to buy in terms of Argon, I'll have less than $200 into it when it's done. Sure I'll also have more than 100 hours, but thats the fun of it. I plan to start a thread in the projects section with more pictures as i get closer to finished.
    (sorry...)
    Last edited by christyles; 11-23-2005 at 03:04 AM.

///e46toronto.ca
    Canada's premier BMW forum

Quote Originally Posted by imagineer
    Funny all this came up, I was just thinking of a similar project and like everyone else, shelling out half a g-note for a metal box can be put to other things. Looks good so far Imagineer. Keep'er comin. I'd like to see the finished product when it is.

Just a thought... is there a notch of some sort to lock the drawer in place. Assuming your drawers are on ball bearing mechanism and roll pretty easy, I hate seeing drawers that don't want to stay closed - or is that predesigned in the purchased drawer slides?

///e46toronto.ca
    Canada's premier BMW forum

The part of the drawer slide that attaches to the drawer has metal extensions that are pinched slightly. The main body of the drawer slide has a rubber bumper attached to it. When the drawer slide is closed, the extensions slide over the rubber bumper and hold the drawer closed. If it turns out that the drawers won't stay closed, or if the rubber bumpers wear out, I've got an idea to make non-contact magnet catches using powerful magnets salvaged from old computer hard drives. I'm also playing around with a single key lock idea to lock all 17 drawers and the lid too. The attached picture is a rendering of the cad file. It doesn't't show the drawers or casters, but it shows the idea I'm working toward. BTW, the side panels as shown are actually done now. They're 1/8" sheet, bent on a sheet brake, welded in and ground smooth. My goal is to have the frame look as if it was all machined from a huge block of billet.

Very nice! You better not put that thing on wheels. I might be tempted to drive it home.

Funny that you mention hard drive magnets. I salvage those things also. You can hold a thick stack of papers on a refrigerator with those things. No need for filing cabnets. They are super strong. You almost cant get them off what you stick them to without a prybar. I just wish they were in more usable shapes.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

Pretty cool there! What program did you use for the rendering?

Autodesk Inventor 10. All the intial design and drawings were done using AutoCAD 2004, but I recently went through a 3 day training in Inventor. So rather than put my new found 3D CAD skills to use for the company, I modeled my tool chest. The "rendering" I attached is a printscreen snapshot that I cropped down to size.

Almost complete

Finally got back on the all aluminum tool chest project. It’s near complete. Installing the lid on the lifting arms was a little like wrestling an octopus, using only your feet and blindfolded. Left to do is fabricate a foot pedal to lift the top evenly and enough for the gas struts to take over. I also have to relocate the middle cross support at the top of the frame so I can take advantage of all the storage area under the lid. Installing and aligning drawers will be easy with the T-slots built into the frame. Once all the drawer slides are located, I plan to remove all the drawers and shoot a coat of black Herculiner in them. Once that’s all done, it will be weeks of filing, grinding and sanding to get to the brushed finish I’m looking for.

Every well equiped shop should have a couple of these babies.....
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store
    Hobbiest hack

imagineer,

That box you are creating is really great.

Like the old wooden chests that our grandpappy's used to make...hand-built and one-of-a-kind....I believe your tool box is destined to become a family heirloom.

Excellent work!

Yes, that is gonna be sweet!

Once you are done and have worked out the kinks, I think it is safe to say that you could post your final plans on the internet. Most of us would be happy to spend $10 - $15 for the plans. Just in case you are in need of any additional income...

By the way, your profile says you live in Wayne County, OH. I lived there for 6 years and worked a couple of summers at the Lowe's north of the college. Where are do you live in Wayne County?

Fancy toolbox

Hey! How's that toolbox coming??? Any new pics? Are you a signman too?? I have all those tools!

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog
    Hey! How's that toolbox coming??? Any new pics? Are you a signman too?? I have all those tools!
    Nothing new for now, but thanks for asking. I've been tied up with family and house stuff.

I expect to get back into it now that it's finally starting to warm up.

THAT is something to be really proud of. I love it. I love the FORM and FUNCTION being built in at the same time. I always make it work and then figure out how to make it look good. I never seem to nail them both at the same time.
    You should get some KILLER photos when it is done....just in case someone steals it.

Quote Originally Posted by d38710
    Once you are done and have worked out the kinks, I think it is safe to say that you could post your final plans on the internet. Most of us would be happy to spend $10 - $15 for the plans. Just in case you are in need of any additional income...

By the way, your profile says you live in Wayne County, OH. I lived there for 6 years and worked a couple of summers at the Lowe's north of the college. Where are do you live in Wayne County?
    Sorry for not responding earlier, near Orrville.

As far as posting plans, just about every part was fabricated from either sheet stock or box tube extrusion. Seeing as I've been on the project for over a year and it's still not done, I don't know if I'd recommend anyone follow my design, LOL.

Quick update.
    Since the welding table is now finished, I'm back on the toolchest project. The next phase, improving the lid lifting action, required me to do some more welding. I put the toolchest frame onto my new, nifty (and flat) welding table and...it rocked like a quickly built baby cradle. Despite all my planning, measuring and clamping, the frame is (was, read on below) out of square by about an inch!!!

I brought it into work today and clamped it onto a 3" thick acorn table. I put 1" spacers under the low corners and clamped down on the high corners and . . . one loud click. The necessary welds broke somewhat cleanly. Now I'll be able to clamp it to the welding table at home and re-weld it flat and square.

Just goes to show that the one of the 1st projects for a novice welder (like I am somewhat), should be a welding table.

your signature says it all

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Nice box, I really like it, but what about a top box? You know you'll fill it up sooner than you think, right?
    HH 180
    HF O/A
    HF Plastic Welder
    HF 14" Cutoff
    HF 4 1/2" Grinder
    Miller big window elite
    Dewalt 18 Volt Cordless 4 1/2" Grinder
    GNB 48 volt 500 AH battery (At 5 - 8 hour rate)
    Mostly Things that start with H

Quote Originally Posted by H2SO4_guy
    Nice box, I really like it, but what about a top box? You know you'll fill it up sooner than you think, right?
    If I were so lucky to eventually have that problem, I'd just build a second rolling chest. From what I've learned during this epic, the next one will be much easier.