What stick electrode is best for welding Galvanized steel
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

What stick electrode is best for welding Galvanized steel

Whats up guys.

Can any of you tell me what stick electrode is best for welding Galvanized steel. I was recentelly helping a friend in building a deer blind at his ranch. All he had was Gavanized angel iron. BOY!! I had a hard time welding, I couldn't make a good weld bead. I was using 1/8 6011. Any suggestions?

Re: What stick electrode is best for welding Galvanized steel

Ive only done flux mig on galvanized. but if you can do it out side!!!! worked on some yesturday in a garage. Bad Idea! still got a hell of a head ache.
    Realgear 140 MIG
    More DeWalt tools that I prolly need
    DIY 160 amp 40 OCV MOT Stick Welder

6011 or 6010 would be the rod of choice..can you make a good weld with 6011 on black angle? what equipment are you using and what are th esettings? the galve can to some degree put impurities in the bead, but for the most part the galve doesnt cause problems making a nice bead. post some fotos.

3/32 6011 is what I use. I turn up the machine and whip it, Dont burn it like a 7018, kinda burn off the galv. then come back in the puddle(whip it).

Immediately after breathing zinc fumes drink a lot of milk. It will get rid of your "flu" symptoms. If possible, wear a cartridge type respirator w/ cartridges designed for zinc fumes while welding.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

6010 shouldn't give you any trouble. Keep your face away from the fumes.

6010, 6011, 7016 and 5P should all work well on galvy if you are of the mindest to NOT grind off the galvy. However if you can I would suggest grinding it off the areas and surrounding areas that you intend to weld. Galvinize poisoning is not fun and grinding it is bad but burning is worse.

'Mike

I've welded a lot of galvanized pip with 7016. Works great but be careful if you have to do a lot and if inside make sure you use a respirator with filters rated for the galvanized finish.

Just did 2100' of galvanize pipe .065 railing, .128 posts. Used mig flux core .035. If the wind was in the wrong direction I'd move 40 degrees out of position or wait for a couple minutes. Finished in about 3 days. Buiding gates in shop. Use box fan .035 solid wire, c25 at 20 cfh. Starting on third gate. First 2 installed.

See project Fence. http://www.enichesoftware.com

Welding galvy, 6010/6011 and a resperatior.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Hello sgt102, besides all the great suggestions already offered on both electrodes/processes and safety aspects, there is an electrode that isn't quite so common that works reasonably well. It's E6022 and is commonly used for puddle welding galvanized decking to supporting structure. It is however, not well suited to out of position welding, yet it can be used either AC or DCEN. If position isn't an issue and you can get ahold of a little to try, you might consider it and see if it will work for your application. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

The '1' in 6010 indicates all positions. What position does the '2' in 6022 indicate?

Hello WHughes, the "2" designates flat/horizontal only. So if he can position his work this electrode might work, otherwise he would likely be better off with using the E6011 or E6010 depending upon the type of stick welding machine he has. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Thanks all of you!!

Turning up the amps and whiping the electrode using 6010 and the 6011's worked great!! Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by WHughes View Post
    The '1' in 6010 indicates all positions. What position does the '2' in 6022 indicate?
    Flat position only, like 7024. Some call 7024 "Jet rod".

Off topic a bit: When I was just a young goomer I burnt the candle at both ends figuring I could stay awake all night and still go to work the next morning.
    Sure, worked fine and all was well until the foreman woke me up- "HEY!! YOU SLEEPING IN THERE?" (Behind my helmet)
    I snapped to, then realized I had been somewhere else while I leaned into the 5/32" 7024 rod I was burning. I had welded about 5" completely out of it.

I could not tell the difference in the weld...

Kids, don't try this at work! You can try it at home, but work is for professionals not dumb yo-yo's like I was at that age!
    [B]Forever learning[B].

Thanks Guys for the advise, Allen had a good suggestion about the E6022. So I went to my location welding supply store. I asked about E6022 they looked at me and said "What kind of Rods" LOL there is no such rods. Well the dumb *** reached it and said Oops sorry, they do make it. But fortunately their warehouse don't supply this types of rods. So I had to get then online. Thanks Allen for help.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt102 View Post
    Thanks Guys for the advise, Allen had a good suggestion about the E6022. So I went to my location welding supply store. I asked about E6022 they looked at me and said "What kind of Rods" LOL there is no such rods. Well the dumb *** reached it and said Oops sorry, they do make it. But fortunately their warehouse don't supply this types of rods. So I had to get then online. Thanks Allen for help.
    I would find a different supply store. Or maybe they solely supply garage welders, and nothing structural. Just about every structural job in the last 40 years has had E6022 on it. If they didnt know that rod, I wonder what else they dont know.

Drinking milk or cream is a wives tale. The zinc fume is inhaled. Milk is swallowed. Ive never understood how anyone thought it was a preventative or a cure.

Big shot of Nyquil will help you sleep it off. Lots of water to help your body process the contaminants.

Not trying to be the safety police, but from what I have read I find that folks have died from zinc poisoning - spend $20 on a respirator and use it.
    Hobart LX235
    Victor 250 Oxy-Acetylene Rig (welding and cutting)
    Bobcat 773
    F-350, 1999, 4x4, 16' 10K# trailer
    Outdoor Wood Burner - 10 cords/year

Quote Originally Posted by tenpins View Post
    Drinking milk or cream is a wives tale. The zinc fume is inhaled. Milk is swallowed. Ive never understood how anyone thought it was a preventative or a cure.

Big shot of Nyquil will help you sleep it off. Lots of water to help your body process the contaminants.
    Maybe an old wives tale to some, but milk is high in calcium which acts as a chelating agent for many of the heavy metals...including zinc. Also, the lactulose present in milk works as a binding/chelating agent. Finally, if the milk is from the typical store dairy shelf, it will contain EDTA to prevent the spoiled milk taste...also a chelating agent.

As to the two seperate methods of intake, inhalation and ingestion, once inhaled a heavy metal passes easily into the blood stream via the lungs, just as if it had been directly ingested. Since there are chemicals present in milk to cause it to be both a method of chelating out the heavy metals...in this case zinc...and also cause a mildly diuretic process within the body, which would aid in processing contaminants as well, the benefits of drinking milk just might be worth using.
    Lincoln PowerTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender with dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9 model 'C'...sometimes a 'B'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Too small a shop...too many tools

E6022 rods are high deposition rods, hence why they can only be used in the flat/horizontal positions. If you want to go down that road then you would probably be better off buying 6012 as you'll find them more usefull. Personally, I'd just use a common or garden 6013 run nice and hot, although 6010/11 arn't so popular over here, so I guess it might be down to the fact that I'm more comfortable with the 13s. I've even used them to weld 16SWG Galv sheet with good results, although it takes a bit of practise due to the fact you need to run them hotter than normal.