Good sources for Argon/Acetylene/Oxygen near Sacramento, CA
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Good sources for Argon/Acetylene/Oxygen near Sacramento, CA

The cost for compressed gas is all over the map around here. The lowest I've found was at Harris:

50 cf (15 pound) carbon dioxide tank (full), $51 (w/out empty to trade)
    155 cf argon (full), $225 (w/out empty to trade)
    155 cf argon (swap for full cylinder), $50

I was planning to refill my pair of 40cf argon cylinders, but they were charging so much to fill those that it made more sense to just get a 155 instead.

I'm still looking to fill my small acetylene/oxygen cylinders from a Victor mini portable brazing pack. They wanted about $75 to fill an 8 cf acetylene and 20 cf oxygen which seemed really expensive.

Does anyone know of a good place to get reasonably priced fills near Sacramento, CA?
    Electronics Engineer (embedded controls)
    Miller 200DX w/ Coolmate 3
    Thermal Dynamics 82 plasma cutter
    Grizzly G0678 8x30 mill
    PM1440BV 14x40 lathe
    HF 6x12 surface grinder

Re: Good sources for Argon/Acetylene/Oxygen near Sacramento, CA

Remember, most of the cost of refilling tanks is not the contents, it's the handling and transportation associated with it.

Except with size/weight issues with various setups, I generally try to use the largest practical tank available.

I would also be considering your own time and transportation ..... that is, is it really worth driving half-way across town, to save a few dollars???

Even if you are a hobby welder,,,,, pick the closest place to you, or you drive near, do all your business with them, get to know the guys working the counter, then question the price. Oh, yeah, your power unit ..... did you buy it online, or did you buy it locally????? Makes a difference, you know.

There's a Barnes (Fresno Oxygen) on Power Inn Rd., and quite a few Airgas stores around, the last twenty years Airgas has been buying up most of the independants. I think there's a few Praxair stores, also. There MAY be a couple true independants left, not sure. I've gotten pretty good deals on power units and equipment, from Barnes on Power Inn, and the Airgas store on 65th in the past.
    Last edited by jsfab; 01-23-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Re: Good sources for Argon/Acetylene/Oxygen near Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by jsfab View Post
    Remember, most of the cost of refilling tanks is not the contents, it's the handling and transportation associated with it.

Except with size/weight issues with various setups, I generally try to use the largest practical tank available.

I would also be considering your own time and transportation ..... that is, is it really worth driving half-way across town, to save a few dollars???

Even if you are a hobby welder,,,,, pick the closest place to you, or you drive near, do all your business with them, get to know the guys working the counter, then question the price. Oh, yeah, your power unit ..... did you buy it online, or did you buy it locally????? Makes a difference, you know.

There's a Barnes (Fresno Oxygen) on Power Inn Rd., and quite a few Airgas stores around, the last twenty years Airgas has been buying up most of the independants. I think there's a few Praxair stores, also. There MAY be a couple true independants left, not sure. I've gotten pretty good deals on power units and equipment, from Barnes on Power Inn, and the Airgas store on 65th in the past.
    Thanks. I'll check out those next time I need supplies. If it was only a few bucks, I wouldn't bother, but the price difference was big enough that I went to Harris in Citrus Heights (~10 miles) last time. I was really irritated that different people would quote different prices even at the same store.

I purchased my equipment and most of the supplies on the web since the local price was at least 20% more. I try to get the largest tanks (usually ~155's) that I can move easily by myself.
    Electronics Engineer (embedded controls)
    Miller 200DX w/ Coolmate 3
    Thermal Dynamics 82 plasma cutter
    Grizzly G0678 8x30 mill
    PM1440BV 14x40 lathe
    HF 6x12 surface grinder