Trailer fail pics - Page 105
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105
Results 2,601 to 2,604 of 2604

Re: Trailer fail pics

As I approach retirement age, I realize inexperienced people retire. They go from one lifestyle where everything is routine, today is very similar to yesterday. The skill set that caused no problems yesterday, won't meet the needs of today. My most common scenario is the new retiree who buys a motor home. The truck chassis that would require a Commercial Drivers License if it were under a truck, is exempted if it supports a motor home. Bob got his gold watch yesterday at the end of his 40 year career as a CPA, next day, with no training he is a truck driver.

In my case, I've towed trailers 46 years. Education in the skill of towing wasn't available overnight. Mistakes were made, no one was killed. I can't help feeling that training is needed before towing the first time. More imperative, I believe motor homes should be driven only by people who have passed a test. I've observed the worst drivers driving motor homes. Typical age, I believe is a factor, but more significant is lack of experience. Going from a Prius yesterday, to a medium duty truck today is not a transition that comes effortlessly.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    As I approach retirement age, I realize inexperienced people retire. They go from one lifestyle where everything is routine, today is very similar to yesterday. The skill set that caused no problems yesterday, won't meet the needs of today. My most common scenario is the new retiree who buys a motor home. The truck chassis that would require a Commercial Drivers License if it were under a truck, is exempted if it supports a motor home. Bob got his gold watch yesterday at the end of his 40 year career as a CPA, next day, with no training he is a truck driver.

In my case, I've towed trailers 46 years. Education in the skill of towing wasn't available overnight. Mistakes were made, no one was killed. I can't help feeling that training is needed before towing the first time. More imperative, I believe motor homes should be driven only by people who have passed a test. I've observed the worst drivers driving motor homes. Typical age, I believe is a factor, but more significant is lack of experience. Going from a Prius yesterday, to a medium duty truck today is not a transition that comes effortlessly.
    Good observations Willie.
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Field Artillery and Infantry, 24 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, 250 amp gun and spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    K-zoo Startrite 30" vert BS
    K-zoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Several years ago I had a conversation with a guy that retired from his earth work company. He drove low bed & dump truck for over 40 years and he said his 40 ft diesel pusher was way harder to drive than his trucks. 8.5 ft wide plus mirrors and awning and the driver was about 5 ft in front of the steer axle made for a weird driving sensation. In his own words, "people retire and buy the biggest vehicle they've ever owned and their senses are at their worst". He believed that there should be a RV endorsement similar to motorcycles.
    Millermatic 200
    Hobart Handler 120
    Victor O/A & Ramco Bandsaw
    Lincoln 225 AC
    SnapOn AD Hood
    Miller XMT304/22A
    Hypertherm Powermax 1650 G3
    Lincoln Idealarc DC600 w/Extreme 12 VS
    Miller Digital Elite "Joker"

Quote Originally Posted by MountaineerMetal View Post
    Two year ago on I-5 between Portland and Salem, Oregon (my old commute). I saw a early 1990s single cab pickup pulling what was at least a 26' bumper pull camper lose control to trailer sway when he tried to change lanes at speed. That trailer whipped that truck like a rag doll and the whole mess ended up in the ditch, the truck on its roof and the camper in about a 1000 pieces. Somehow the driver survived and no one else got caught up in it.
    Iknow a guy whose wife had a bit of an accident with his Dodge/Cummins dually. He had to borrow his buddy's similar truck with a nice car hauler trailer to get it home. By the time he got it all loaded up, it was late and he was tired. He let his wife drive back. She ended up running off the interstate and I think the whole shebang flipped. Destroyed the two trucks and the trailer. Fortunately, neither he, his wife or their young child were hurt.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder