Aluminum Horse Trailer Hay Rack
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Aluminum Horse Trailer Hay Rack

Any of you guys build theese? i need to build 3 of them just looking for some more ideas. im gonna end up putting a floor and solid sides for safety and to look better. gonna make a sloped nose and use mostly 1x1x.125 on the sides and 1.5 sq tube on the floor. .125 dia plate on the floor and .63 on the sides to look nice. any ideas ?? tips??
    MILLER BWE SS
    MM 251
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625

BLUE WELDERS AND BLUE OVAL TRUCKS......

I have built hay racks, but not from aluminum like you are talking about. Are you talking about a trailer-rack or a free-standing rack? I have built both, but from steel. What type of hay are you using, roll or bale?
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

there going to be trailer racks for rectangle 3 string bales. i usually only carry like 4 up there max and some bag feed and shavings. one of them is going to get a generator in it also. 180lb onan microquiet. i was thinkin about using 1x2x.125 for the floor supports 12' spacing. i want the aluminum so i dont have to paint it and the polished al looks sweet.....
    MILLER BWE SS
    MM 251
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625

12 foot spacing might be a bit much. Maybe try 1 foot.
    Owner of Welding Wiki,
    The free wiki based resource for weldor's around the world.
    http://www.weldingwiki.com
    We have cookies!

whoops typo.....yeah 12 INCHES....if it was 12' spacing i wouldnt have any at all rack's only gonna be 10 feet for the one with the generator and 8 without
    MILLER BWE SS
    MM 251
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625

Ahhhh, the differenced between " and '. Reminds me of the Stonehinge scene in Spinal Tap, but that's another forum...

The stuff I have built for my dad (made of steel, mind you) is just square tubing welded into the shape of M's and joined together at the top and in the valley of the M with more square tubing. The ones I did sat on a frame that was welded directly on the axle, so they wouldnt be to high for an old man (my dad) to toss 60-80 pound bales into. I'll try to get a picture of it. Mind you, it was just sort of thrown together, so dont expect too much, but it might get you started.

I just realized you meant something entirely different....You are talking about something that you use to carry hay on a trip, not to park in a field and let horses munch off of. I have built the type you drive into a field, not the ones that go on top of a horse trailer.

http://www.gotrailer.com/html/hayrack.asp

is this what you are talking about??? Man, that will be a lot cheaper than what I thought you wanted to build. My mistake.
    Last edited by smithboy; 12-06-2005 at 03:47 PM.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

yeah thats the basic rack. im gonna go more elaborate than that. full diamond plate floor, diamond plate sides, its gonna house the generator and watertank up there and have a roll back truck cover to cover the hay storage area. gonna radius slope the nose.....

ill try to find the pics that im getting my ideas from....
    MILLER BWE SS
    MM 251
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625