Welding apps for Droid/iPhone ?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Welding apps for Droid/iPhone ?

Does anyone know of apps for the smartphones? Be nice to have a little app for material-settings-etc., where references would not be handy.

Thanks

Re: Welding apps for Droid/iPhone ?

Hi there. I'm a Droid programmer - specifically what kind of materials-settings information would be of use? A minimal app might take around 4 hours to create, and I'd have to know there'd be enough customer interest at the going rate for apps ($2-3 apiece) to justify the programming time investment.

I see this is a pretty old thread, but I just got a Droid, and this was one of the first apps I searched for - no luck yet. I was thinking something along these lines -

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/calculators/

Quote Originally Posted by weldrat View Post
    I see this is a pretty old thread, but I just got a Droid, and this was one of the first apps I searched for - no luck yet. I was thinking something along these lines -

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/calculators/
    That sounds like a cool idea to me.

Sounds like a good idea to me as well, I'd probably buy it.

There's an app that makes your phone a level.
    Rock
    File
    Adjustable Wrench
    If it don't fit,
    Bigger Rock

Maybe, pre heat temperatures chart for different alloys. Or cutting tip charts. Stick electrode polarity charts would be great. For the iPhone that is.

the work apps i have so far: drill bit gauge, protractor, level, plumb bob, digital angle gauge, calipers, tape measure, and various converters (metric, mass, etc) always loooking for more industry related apps.
    Tim

yeah that would be great idea i have a droid also

I have Welding by Axon Calc on my iPhone. It is pretty good.

esab makes a free app for Iphone. Its slightly helpful if you have no idea how to setup a MIG machine as it will tell you the right settings for a given material.
    Have we all gone mad?

Do anyone now if there are more apps for welding and construction?

Make one for droid and I'll buy it!

www.dakosoftware.nl Civil/structural app that handles welding related tools. 2D-3D calculations (combined stress and unity check), information about electrodes (Stick, TIG, FCAW), MIG wire speed calculator. FREE

ESAB welding parameters www.esabna.com gives you the ability to correctly identify the welding parameters for your next job. Choose the type of wire (solid,flux-cored), plug in a few pieces of info, and you'll get the info you need-including wire feed speed, voltage, current, and inductance. FREE

I know that many who have a vast knowledge and experience to draw from will probably think it is a waste of their time and it is for a simpleton. Which may be true. But, better things should come along. At least these are a starting point.
    Last edited by TxDoc; 02-14-2011 at 03:57 PM.

I toyed around with this idea this past weekend. The android welding app that is out there now is sorta worthless, but that's just one person's opinion. I looked closely at some of my welding reference material in my posession and made a rough estimate of programming time to really do this right. I'm thinking this is at least a forty hour project. Lots of the time requirement is to create original art for the calculator. I don't want to copy the artwork from anybody else. The other thing is I doubt there is much of a revenue model for this.. (Note: I'm only talking android here, cause thats where I have my experience and $$ investment.. anybody out there doing apple/iphone development work? Maybe we can joint venture...)

My one thought is to create the app, make it free for thin carbon steel only.. full app cost a few $$ more, includes aluminum, stainless steel, Titanium, Copper... Nothing outlandish on price.

Scope: calculators for amps/ settings TIG / MIG / Stick. Include best practices for different type of welding joints, based on material thickness...

Extras: position charts, Tig Tungsten charts, Welding Schematics...

Anybody else? What needs to go into a comprehensive welding calculator? (Forces in X, Y, Z? Moments? Who came up with that? But then I'm not a welding design engineer..) My take is to get the majority of info on the generally observed in paper reference calculators plus other reference stuff that makes sense.

feedback from others?

(hmmm.. another idea.. how about a welding game.. Something along the lines of "Oh my, your local oil rig station just experienced a blow out.. you've got a MIG gun, A tig gun and a stick machine and lots of scrap parts available... Oil-Well-Ernie thinks he can hold the valve shut for five more minutes, but after that its anyones guess.. Youve got a big scrap pile of metal and a broken main pipe.. get to it. " )

Something with a little mainstream appeal? (where the hero, of course is the welder who saves the day for humanity...)

Comments, suggestions?

-zip

We've made one that is pretty basic. It gives you the welding parameters for solid or flux core wire.

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/news/Mob...plications.cfm

Here is the link. It's free and is pretty user friendly.

Easb rep what kind of phone base do you need for yur applaciton to download, and android or a I phone. I also click on download and the computer can't load it. thanks Jim
    Last edited by coreshield8; 02-22-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Coreshield 8... Like the name

I downloaded it to my blackberry. I have some people that had the iphone and droid and both have it.

I tried doing it on the computer too and had problems, but when I did it on my phone, I didn't have a problem. Try doing on your web browser on your phone. If that doesn't work let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ESABREP View Post
    Coreshield 8... Like the name

I downloaded it to my blackberry. I have some people that had the iphone and droid and both have it.

I tried doing it on the computer too and had problems, but when I did it on my phone, I didn't have a problem. Try doing on your web browser on your phone. If that doesn't work let me know.
    Thanks very much easbrep

Not a problem. Did you get it to your phone?

I purchased a android base phone itr should be it nest week, if I have a problem I'll contact you.Easbrep thanks Jim

Esabrep, i got my mororola i1 android phone working, will you please tell me how to down load easb data applacitions Thanks very much Jim

Quote Originally Posted by coreshield8 View Post
    Esabrep, i got my mororola i1 android phone working, will you please tell me how to down load easb data applacitions Thanks very much Jim
    Go to the Android Market and type in Esab.
    I.B.E.W Electrician and Damn Proud of It !!!! .
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/

will you Please tell me how to get to andriod market, thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by coreshield8 View Post
    will you Please tell me how to get to andriod market, thanks Jim
    Look for an icon on your phone that looks like a shopping bag with a little green droid on it. While your at it download Barcode Scanner or Google Goggles. With those 2 you can use your phone camera to scan barcodes for apps.
    I.B.E.W Electrician and Damn Proud of It !!!! .
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/