Fence Panel Size?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Fence Panel Size?

Hello, this is my first post. I have been viewing here for a few years.

My question is I am getting ready to build some ornamental fence panels with the pickets on 6'' centers. How do you guys figure your panel width? I was thinking of doing 8'. I have tried figuring 7', 8', & 9' panels and doing any of them I will end up having to do a smaller "filler" panel at the end. Is this how its always done? I have seen fences before with no filler panels, I guess these just happened to be the right amount of fence. Thanks for any input.

Re: Fence Panel Size?

should come out even
    8 ft would be 96 inches didvde by 6" would give 16 pickets
    idealarc 250/250 ac-dc tig
    idealarc 250/250 ac-dc tig #2 used for stick
    lincoln sp100
    hh125
    dual arbor grinder polisher
    30 yrs of hand tools
    52 pitch blocks 6p-26p
    rake gauge -pitch gauge
    G&D prop repair
    918-207-6938
    Hulbert,okla 74441

Prop, Maybe you meant 16 6" spaces, or a 1/2 space on each end, but anyway, the pickets take up space too.

PFD402, Do you mean calculating the panel size for an entire run, so that there is no partial panel in the run?

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 01-14-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Six inch centers won't meet most building codes. The four inch ball is a pretty common rule of thumb for the gaps between pickets. You shouldn't be able to pass it through the fence.

When I did my fence, I did 8' panels. On the front side, I had one 7' panel, which I was able to put in the center (since my total panel count was odd on that side). You'd never notice it was shorter than the other four. If I'd put it on one end, I don't think that would be the case.

If you can't space all the pickets uniformly, make the odd gaps on both ends of a side. Make them the same width on both ends.

Also work out if you're going to have the laterals slope with changes in topography or if you're going to keep them level and have the fence itself move up and down in steps. If you're having it rise and fall in steps, you might want shorter panels rather than longer.

Jack, I think that 4" code only goes for railing. I think it's OK for a fence.

Just order a bar from King Supply, prepunched at the 6" spacing you want and use it to lay it out. Soooo easy. About $20.

I kind of thought he was refering to the overall run of the fencing. I guess I would use the run that would fit, up to 8 feet.

If you are confined to a specific boundry and cannot fudge the fence, then cut a couple/few of panels longer or at odd length. a few panels 6 inches longer is less noticeable than a 3 foot short panel. If there is a gate some difference can be made up there.

A lot of the fencing with short filler panels is prefabed stuff that comes in stock lengths. If you are the builder and installer then you can make it work and use it as a selling point for your next job.

for handrails the code is so that u can not fit a 4" ball through the picketts but on a fence 6" spacing is just fine double check your codes though every where is diff also so you dont have like a 3 ft filler panel at the end just need to use some math and find out what size panel will work for your run with out having to use a filler should all work out in the long and short run lol
    Lincoln Pro Core 125
    Lincolin sp 100
    Miller Big 40
    Lincoln Idealarc SP250
    miller matic 212
    http://www.facebook.com/hdwelding?sk=wall
    www.hdweldingbeds.com

Yes I mean figuring the panel size for the entire run. The run is 83.5'.

Yeah I checked, 3/4'' pickets on 6'' centers will pass code.

Thanks everyone for the help.

6" spacing will save material, hence 6.75" centers.

PFD402 - Another important factor is to not waste rail material, so panel length should consider getting maximum out of each length of stock.

Good Long