My shop is my front yard, and for 4-6 months a year I'm welding on snow. This has never been a problem, until last night.
I was welding as normal, had my ground clamp across the snow and clamped to my table. I had the piece I was working with on the table, and was holding another piece to weld with my left hand. My equipment is in good condition, and my cables are not damaged at all.
There was some water (melted snow) on the piece, and on my table, and my gloves were damp from working outside all day. I'm standing in snow/slush mix too. My ground, lead, and extension cord running power to the machine all lay in the snow.
So when I go to start welding (mig) as soon as I pull the trigger I get shocked through my left hand. It was not much, felt about like your normal 110 volt wall plug shock. But this scared the heck out of me.
So what do you think happened? Was this some sort of static build up that is harmless, or do I need to change my procedures?