Welding table picture thread - Page 24
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Re: Welding table picture thread

My local rental place charges $50/day for a mag drill, and you need to provide your own bits. The annular cutters make for quick work and a clean hole, but getting set up and making sure your hole spacing is even can take quite awhile. Still, it's no problem to drill 100 holes in a few hours if you have everything laid out in advance. One "trick" is to rent the tool on saturday morning so you can use it all that day and all sunday when the store's closed and you can't return it. They can't charge you for that extra day because they're closed....

A line of holes down the middle of the plate would do well enough. Or, if you go with 4" OC, you'll have plenty of reach from the edges as well as the center area for any kind of jigs you might need. I could see it working very nice and looking good, too.

Wall thickness on the frame? Use what you've got. I've had no problem using 1/8" wall for any table frames I've built or worked on. My current bench has 1/4" wall angle and tube. It's a thorough bear to move, too!

If you've got the stuff and don't mind using it up for this project rather than saving it for something down the road, go for it. It never hurts to have a robust frame that'll resist deflection. The only downside to a really heavy table is that they don't move easily and hurt like the dickens when you bump into them! :O

Some of the less generous rental stores will charge you two days on a weekend rental.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    My local rental place charges $50/day for a mag drill, and you need to provide your own bits. The annular cutters make for quick work and a clean hole, but getting set up and making sure your hole spacing is even can take quite awhile. Still, it's no problem to drill 100 holes in a few hours if you have everything laid out in advance. One "trick" is to rent the tool on saturday morning so you can use it all that day and all sunday when the store's closed and you can't return it. They can't charge you for that extra day because they're closed....

A line of holes down the middle of the plate would do well enough. Or, if you go with 4" OC, you'll have plenty of reach from the edges as well as the center area for any kind of jigs you might need. I could see it working very nice and looking good, too.

Wall thickness on the frame? Use what you've got. I've had no problem using 1/8" wall for any table frames I've built or worked on. My current bench has 1/4" wall angle and tube. It's a thorough bear to move, too!

If you've got the stuff and don't mind using it up for this project rather than saving it for something down the road, go for it. It never hurts to have a robust frame that'll resist deflection. The only downside to a really heavy table is that they don't move easily and hurt like the dickens when you bump into them! :O
    LOL!
    so first, i guess in my area the price is double. and they do not rent on saturdays at all.
    beside that, i think i will take your recommendation and go with the 4" pattern, and no space between the plates. so between the rental cost and the drill bit (time is no factor as i'm hobbyist) im looking on less then $100 difference.
    but i'll get perfect lines.
    as for the material i do not have enough for all the parts i need, so i will probably go with 3/16 wall.
    thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Meir View Post
    LOL!
    so first, i guess in my area the price is double. and they do not rent on saturdays at all.
    beside that, i think i will take your recommendation and go with the 4" pattern, and no space between the plates. so between the rental cost and the drill bit (time is no factor as i'm hobbyist) im looking on less then $100 difference.
    but i'll get perfect lines.
    as for the material i do not have enough for all the parts i need, so i will probably go with 3/16 wall.
    thanks for the help guys.
    No saturday rentals? Guess they figured that trick out!

Space between the plates? I think that's a good idea. Makes the table a little larger, gives you room for clamping from an infinite number of positions, and looks cool. Combining that with some holes throughout the plate.... yummy!

Make sure you post pics as you get things together. I like seeing how folks tackle their builds because you never know what you'll learn.

My buddy runs a dodge truck reclamation and parts business. He's made himself a table out of old dodge truck parts. He is adding wheels to it in the next week or so, so he can move in and out of his shop. Mostly for grinding, and cutting of parts. Made good use of scrap truck parts
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by T man; 05-26-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Hey guys im preping to build a welding table top with 6" or 8" bar stock with a gap over the top of my free Motorcycle lift, what grade of bar would you choose if these were your choices
    A-36, A529-50, A572-50, A588, C1018

looking for good hardness without breaking the bank.

gonna compare prices of bar vs plate pieces once i figure out the best bang for the buck on surface hardness

A572-50 should be the best for the money...
    I don't post much, but I read this forum every day...

4x8 Bulltear Gantry Kit CNC Plasma
    Hypertherm 85
    Millermatic 251
    Dynasty 350
    Turnpro 7x12 Miter Bandsaw

...one packed garage ><

https://www.facebook.com/ApocalypseFabrication