Chinese plasma cutter problem
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Chinese plasma cutter problem

I recently bought a CUT50D plasma cutter at a garage sale and I was hoping to get some help on trying to fix. The lady said she didn't know if it worked or not. I only paid $50 for it so I'm not out that much. The fan comes on when you turn it on and the green light comes on but the red light comes on when you press the button on the torch. Any ideas? Thanks

The Saints are going to the Super Bowl!!!

Re: Chinese plasma cutter problem

Do you have the air hooked up, and if so at what pressure? Most machines have a low air pressure cut out that won't fire the arc unless air pressure is above a given minimum.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Does sound like an air pressure problem. Or a sensor problem. What is your air pressure?
    Welders:
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Penncraft 230 (oldy but goody)
    HF Plasma 30 (Italian)
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy/Acetylene/Propane
    Lincoln SA200
    Everlast Power Tig 250 EX
    Everlast PowerUltra 205

You have a failed component on one of the circuit boards. If you have no experience in electronic repair then you could ship it to us for repair.
    http://www.PlasmaMetalCutter.com

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210
    No Brand Chinese Chop Saw
    No Brand Chinese 4" Angle Grinder

I didn't know they have low pressure cut out. I will double check the pressure when I get home but I think it is about 60psi.

I'm pretty good at fixing things, just trying to spend as little as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAUXSAINTS View Post
    I didn't know they have low pressure cut out. I will double check the pressure when I get home but I think it is about 60psi.
    I have NEVER seen a Cut50 with low pressure cutoff.

It's a failed component.

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210

Any ideas where to start?

Hi Ya GEAUXSAINTS and Welcome to the Welding Web Family. Well you said it powered up but a red light comes on. Assuming you have air pressure try your grounding clamp by making sure its on clean metal. If that doesn't fix it try removing the consumables on the torch and put on some new consumables. The existing consumables could be old worn out or merely blocked with dust or dirt. Also check the connections on your grounding cable on the machine to be sure it secured.

Next up requires taking the cover off the machine and seeing if and wires or airline is. loose Also look at the circuit boards and mosfets or IGBT's to be sure none appear burnt.

If all thhat and you still get a red light you may have to take it to a repair shop If you that want to post your location, show your personal avatar, or have a signature on each post telling fellow members where you are located; an avatar of you or your shop, and a signature telling fellow members what types of equipment you have, you can do it all by following these steps:

1. Locate and click on USER CP

2. Under YOUR CONTROL PANEL, YOUR PROFILE, click on EDIT YOUR DETAILS

3. In the EDIT YOUR DETAILS, you can enter Optional Information and Additional Information such as your Location (an other info)

4. While in USER CP you can explore some of the other functions

- Avatar: you can have picture of you, your shop, your wife, children, dog, etc (keep it clean- no nudes)

- Signature: you can list all your equipment, a link to your shop, or maybe some witty saying

Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Since the red over current / over voltage light is on then you have a broken part inside. It sounds like something shorted. First thing to do is unplug it and take the cover off to see if any of the MOSFETs are destroyed. Post results and go from there.

All of the mosfets look good. I can see nothing out of the ordinary. I removed the torch and tried jumping the 2 prongs and that is when the oc light comes on. There is no HF.

Just to be clear. You disconnected the torch / air line from the front of the machine. You also disconnected the two wire plug. You still have the red light on with them disconnected. Correct?

You also saw all the MOSFETs look intact. Correct?

My first guess is that the TVS (transient voltage suppressor) and associated diodes are blown (shorted). This can occur if the line (your incoming wall) power had a spike. The parts are there to protect more precious other parts. It is a $10 fix if this is the case.

Take a look at this PDF and see if your lower board looks like this one where the TVS and diodes were blown. You need to look with a flashlight between the large round torroids. The PDF shows an AC/DC machine, but the left side does all DC just like your plasma cutter. Post if your lower board looks like the pics that has the red circles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes I disconnected the torch/air line and when I jump the 2 prongs where the torch plugs in the red light comes on. It stays on until I turn the machine off. If I wait a minute and then turn it back on the red light will not come on unit I jump it again.

Yes, all MOSFETs look in tack.

I don't see anything between the torriods. If the diodes are blue they look ok.

That is about as much as I can help without being right there to test circuits. Sorry. Hopefully, someone else knows more about them and can help.

Yes I disconnected the torch/air line and when I jump the 2 prongs where the torch plugs in the red light comes on. It stays on until I turn the machine off. If I wait a minute and then turn it back on the red light will not come on unit I jump it again.

Yes, all MOSFETs look in tack.

I don't see anything between the torriods. If the diodes are blue they look ok.
    PM me

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210

Quote Originally Posted by GiantTechGuy View Post
    PM me
    Is this a common problem with that machine?

Hi Weld,

We just caught this thread. It sounds like there is a short in one of the boards inside the machine. LONGEVITY offers a replacement program if you cannot find the parts necessary for repair or if the manufacturer warranty is out.

Please do not hesitate to call with questions.

Thank you
    LONGEVITY Welding
    Best Prices On Welding Equipment
    Phone: 877-566-4462

I'm in the process of trying to find out exactly what is wrong with it first. I'm not sure who it is made by? Any help is appreciated though.

Quote Originally Posted by weld View Post
    Is this a common problem with that machine?
    Depends on the factory that produced it. With GiantTech no.

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210

do you have any pictures of the machine that you can attach to one of your posts? A couple of pictures would help ID the machine. Also somewhere on that machine there should be a manufacturers label with information like Model & Serial Number as well as an address where it was produced.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

I will try to post a picture when I get off of work today. There is no Model # , Serial # or address on it.

Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    do you have any pictures of the machine that you can attach to one of your posts? A couple of pictures would help ID the machine. Also somewhere on that machine there should be a manufacturers label with information like Model & Serial Number as well as an address where it was produced.
    He'll most likely not find any of that info, well maybe he'll see Chiry printed on the top PCB.

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210

I will try to post a picture when I get off of work today. There is no Model # , Serial # or address on it.
    Also, try to get a picture of in between the torroids to show if the TVS and diodes are there. Post what an ohm meter measures between the torch connection and ground clamp with the power cord unplugged from the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantTechGuy View Post
    Depends on the factory that produced it. With GiantTech no.
    From what I have read you seem to have great support for the machines you sell. It is nice to get info. right from the source without any BS. Could you explain why the machine you sell doesn't have this problem and the others do? I am curious because all of the internal pictures of the machines I have seen have a similar ckt design just some ckts are placed on different PCBs.
    I have read about different factories overseas and how some are better than others. But all the vendors claim theirs is better. You seem like a stand up guy so why is the GiantTech model better from the factory it was made in? Is it the design that makes it better or the quality of manufacturing?
    Could you post some pictures of the inside of the GiantTech plasma cut50D on your website? I would like to compare my no-name cut50D to it.
    Last edited by weld; 01-29-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weld View Post
    From what I have read you seem to have great support for the machines you sell. It is nice to get info. right from the source without any BS. Could you explain why the machine you sell doesn't have this problem and the others do? I am curious because all of the internal pictures of the machines I have seen have a similar ckt design just some ckts are placed on different PCBs.
    I have read about different factories overseas and how some are better than others. But all the vendors claim theirs is better. You seem like a stand up guy so why is the GiantTech model better from the factory it was made in? Is it the design that makes it better or the quality of manufacturing?
    It's both. Some factories have a good design but poor quality of manufacturing and some have a poor design yet good quality of manufacturing. We have both, I searched long and hard to find a factory that would work with me to improve quality. There are still some minor issues to deal with but for now I correct those myself fbefore shipping to customers, within months I'll be free of that too.

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210