Layout/Marking for Saddle Cut in 20" OD Pipe
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Layout/Marking for Saddle Cut in 20" OD Pipe

I need a little help or some pointers in how to figure the cut line on a piece of 20" pipe to saddle up to another 20" pipe at 90 degrees. Any/all help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Layout/Marking for Saddle Cut in 20" OD Pipe

This is a template I have used for 14" seems to work okay. takes a bit to print and cut it out saves a lot of math though
    http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php

Thanks idacal...I am going to try and print all the pages out and see if I can line them up and get them on the pipe...I will let you know how it turns out...

Idacal

That's cool, I bet alot of people will benefit from that!

Quote Originally Posted by TXTimberMulcher View Post
    I need a little help or some pointers in how to figure the cut line on a piece of 20" pipe to saddle up to another 20" pipe at 90 degrees. Any/all help is greatly appreciated.
    Be ready to become proficient with your grinder. And not a small one.

The wall thickness makes a difference in the dimension of the throats and peaks. The Welders' Bluebook, and others by the author "Graves," will help you out.

Do some homework about how to use some "cash register tape," soap stone and a square, for your layout.

-Rhyno
    07 Fowler 200D
    65 RedFace
    04 Miller TB 302, 22hp
    Miller 12RC
    Miller HF 251-1
    Lincoln SP135
    HyperTherm PM 380
    and a few others...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....

Hello TXTimberMulcher, here is a little something that might help you out. Hope you can make sense of it. It is a direct measure, scale size type pattern system. I have also included a short-cut type of dividing system for making equal divisions of patterns, as mentioned above, hope it makes sense. A little something for your consideration. Best regards, Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    aevald

I notice the program asks for thickness Rhyno, this may eliminate what your concerned about.

TXT, please let us know if it worked good or not.

try to get a copy of Pipefitters/Pipewwelders Handbook by Robert Frankland. i cant open it up to fotocopy it for you with out breaking it in half.

Quote Originally Posted by weldbead View Post
    try to get a copy of Pipefitters/Pipewwelders Handbook by Robert Frankland. i cant open it up ............ half.
    I agree. Both of them are good.

-Rhyno
    07 Fowler 200D
    65 RedFace
    04 Miller TB 302, 22hp
    Miller 12RC
    Miller HF 251-1
    Lincoln SP135
    HyperTherm PM 380
    and a few others...

But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....

Check out pipesaddlelayout.com it is in BETA testing. I think it will help with your issue and I believe that it allows for printing.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions. I ended up using the pipesaddlelayout.com program to get the dimensions for the 20" saddle. The program is super easy to use, the measuring and layout only took a few minutes and the joint fit perfectly with only a little post-cut clean-up grinding. I did use Idacal's harderwoods.com template program to make some great templates for laying out miter cuts on some 4-1/2" and 6" OD pipe. Thanks a ton, you guys saved me a bunch of time, headache, and grinding wheels.

There is a page on 'www.pipesaddlelayout.com that is for mitered pipe. It give both the dimensions to layout a miter and the length of the segment pieces if you want to have a certain centerline radius of the ell assm. Thanks for using the program.

DNC

heres a quick layout.
    Some things can't be carried in a tool bucket.

the rest of it

This pattern is for an equal tee and the 1/4 pattern could be used for the hole pattern also.

lol.. damn.. those sure are some technical lookin drawings.. lol... check it out.. circumference of 20" pipe is 62 13/16ths.. so get something at least that long and 2 feet wide like wrapping paper or something.. i use whatever i can find on the jobsite.. usually brown roll paper.. anyways.. use a 2 foot square and measure out 62 13/16ths and make a 90 degree line about 18 inches long.. now divide that into 16 equal segments.. that would give you a spacing of around 3 15/16ths apart.. now segment the lines from top to bottom using all 18 inch lines.. it's alot of work, but it's easy.. so now you have a sheet of paper with vertical lines (18" long) evenly spaced (top and bottom) and at 3 15/16" apart.. now on both edges (natural edge and line drawn edge @ 62 13/16") make a small tic mark at 10 inches from the bottom of the paper.. also, 10 inch mark in the middle.. now 2nd from end is 10 11/16, third from end is 12 9/16, fourth from end is 15 316, fith from end is 16 7/8, sixth is 15 3/8", seventh is 12 9/16", eith is 10 11/16, 9th (middle) should be 10".. tenth line should be 10 11/16, eleventh line should be 12 9/16.. just like the other side all the way back.. see the pattern?.. mirror image.. then connect the dots.. once the dots are connected by straight lines, kinda curve 'em since pipe is round and not straight.. that should get you there.. any questions, hit the forum..
    if you're not livin on the edge, you're takin up too much room..

from your 10" mark where do you come up with the 10 11/16, 12 9/16, 15 3/16 and so on. I am here to learn. glad you liked the drawing.LOL

from post number six.. although that post looks more of an eccentric saddle than a concentric saddle.. those numbers are the differences in the contour of the pipe when sitting on another piece of pipe.. so the 10 inch mark is the beginning, and the next line would have the 10 11/16ths.. the next line would have... well.. you know.. the coordinates.. you lay it out with a compass (trammel points) and a 2 foot square... hell... my bucket (when fitting) consists of a tape, a plumb-bob, levels and squares.. no lasers.. no fancy curve-o-mark things (other than wrap-a-rounds and stuff).. but other than that.. all angles i find on a square, pipe layouts (like top, bottom, sides, etc..) all done with a square and level.. my tools are basic.. i guess what i'm sayin is, all the fancy crap out there aint needed.. just basic tools.. so don't overwhelm yourself lookin at all kinds of stuff wonderin what they do,... get a pipe fitters book and read it while you're takin a dump or somethin.. cheesy i know.. but that's what i do.. i just got my med gas certification that way.. woo hoo!.. let's hear it for reading material!.. lol..

post number 6 is concentric tee, the line devolpment uses only a quarter of the round like my layout. So are you saying that the measurments you use come from placing 2 pieces of pipe together and measuring the void every 3 15/16ths off the stem?

well.. the more segments you have, the more accurate you can be.. but yeah.. what you just said is true.. the 10 inches is the base mark.. the incriments actually only increase/decrease in small fractions.. like 3/4 of an inch here, a few eighths there.. the 10 inches is actually a base for your template.. on large pipe, you don't want your template to be too thin because you would have a difficult time squaring it.. with a 10 inch base, it's like having a wrap=a-round 10 inches wide with a pattern on it..lol..

Quote Originally Posted by kcnaz View Post
    post number 6 is concentric tee, the line devolpment uses only a quarter of the round like my layout. So are you saying that the measurments you use come from placing 2 pieces of pipe together and measuring the void every 3 15/16ths off the stem?
    i was referring to post #6... not picture #6..

me too # 6 post is .....Concentric, equal not offset.
    So if you was rolling out a piece of flat metal and forming a equal tee then my funny drawing would work for ya. Some things can't be carried in a tool bucket.

well.. not really.. if you notice, not all the increments are equal.. this is because the circumference of the pipe is penetrating a different plane.. ummm... like if you use your method, the hip would be very severe and create a huge gap.. see in aevalds post how the lines get skinnier.. it's on a different plane.. don't know if your method is for sheet metal or insulation or what.. but this is just basic pipe-fitting... i might add that i'm a pipe-fitter more than a pipe welder.. oh.. and everything can be carried in a bucket.. i've seen some dudes do it... lol..

Be ready to become proficient with your grinder. And not a small one.

The wall thickness makes a difference in the dimension of the throats and peaks. The Welders' Bluebook, and others by the author "Graves," will help you out.

Do some homework about how to use some "cash register tape," soap stone and a square, for your layout.

-Rhyno

Quote Originally Posted by kenklingerman View Post
    I notice the program asks for thickness Rhyno, this may eliminate what your concerned about.......
    kenklingerman-
    I don't understand what you are trying to communicate. Please elaborate.

-Rhyno
    Last edited by Rhyno; 02-27-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    07 Fowler 200D
    65 RedFace
    04 Miller TB 302, 22hp
    Miller 12RC
    Miller HF 251-1
    Lincoln SP135
    HyperTherm PM 380
    and a few others...

he's doin it off of auto cad.. you need to know the thickness of the pipe so you can get the circumference.. the circumference is the biggest issue.. without it, you cant mark your sides and top/bottom correctly, nor can you segment it correctly, so the fit will be bad.. shouldn't this be on a fitters forum?.. lol