Spot welding problems
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Spot welding problems

First, let me start by saying I am not a welder and have gained new respect for the field since I have been given the responsibility of resolving this problem.
    I have a Miller shop master welder. It has a spot weld setting with adjustable spot time, wire feed rate, burn back, amperage, etc.
    I am welding a piece of stainless steel hinge to a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum. it is a 6061 or 6063 grade alum. The hinge has a .125 hole in it. I keep having problems with inconsistent welds. a majority of time time I get a big build up on the front side with a lot of splatter and adhesion to the nozzle but no penetration through the back side. I can pull it apart very easily Then some times it will blow a hole right through without changing a setting. I have suspended the feed cable from the machine to the gun from the ceiling to ensure a good consistent feed path. Occasionally it will weld perfectly with a nice pretty puddle on the front and a tiny nipple on the back side and I can't pull it apart. I have tried adjusting all the settings and had a repair tech out several times. When he left the first day it was working ok and then it went back to incosistency without changing any settings. I read on another thread that it could be because I am using 75/25 argon nitrogen mix and I should try using pure argon. can anyone offer any advice?

Re: Spot welding problems

I would never consider welding stainless (or any steel) to alum.
    "SOUTHPAW"
    A wise person learns from another persons mistakes;
    A smart person learns from their own mistakes;
    But, a stupid person.............never learns.

First, let me start by saying I am not a welder and have gained new respect for the field since I have been given the responsibility of resolving this problem.
    I have a Miller shop master welder. It has a spot weld setting with adjustable spot time, wire feed rate, burn back, amperage, etc.
    I am welding a piece of stainless steel hinge to a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum. it is a 6061 or 6063 grade alum.
    I am curious who came up with this idea; do you work in a factory or shop where somebody above you in management decided this was a good idea, or are you a new employee who was just given this assignment by the other workers?
    Welding aluminum to steel, be it carbon or stainless, is sort of like mixing oil and water; it can be done by some exotic means, but the results you now have are what you'd expect from your method, if you understood the properties of these metals.

Need a little more then a Miller Shop Master....

Fronius Cold Weld

http://www.fronius.com/cps/rde/xchg/...8_ENG_HTML.htm

Lots of $$$$
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx
    2 Labs

All at home!