Golf Cart on rear of 5th wheel camper
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Golf Cart on rear of 5th wheel camper

Wanting some input here. Also wondering if anyone has done anything like this.

I've got a 2005 Forrest River Flagstaff 5th wheel camper. I would like to install some type of platform on the rear to transport my golf cart when we go to CG's far away. I'm guessing weight of cart would be 1k lbs plus platform.

I have several concerns:

1) Added rear weight and how much it will effect pin weight and towing. I know some of this can be counter acted with additional "ballast" weight in the front.

2) I also know that this would have to be securely attached to frame in multiple locations and done very well. I am concerned how the motion (bucking, etc) with the added "pendulum" weight of the cart will effect the 5th frame and cart mount.

I REALLY would like to do this, but not at the cost of damage or safety.

Anyone done this?

Thanks in advance

Re: Golf Cart on rear of 5th wheel camper

Yeah, we call them toyhaulers. Ramp door at the back, lots of room inside.

http://www.travelandusa.com/fifth-wheel-toy-haulers.cfm

I understand your question, and not intending to be a wiseguy. A half ton tail wagging around back there is quite a bit. Maybe a small utility trailer behind the 5th wheel would do, do you have a class A license with doubles endorsement? Better check with your state regs first for that option.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tanglediver; 02-04-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

Yeah, but not what I was looking for.

We have made racks in the past, but a golfcart presents an interesting set of demands.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

I made a setup for my kids 2 dirt bikes and platform all toll about 5-600 lbs tops. A 1000 Lb. cart plus the weight of the platform may be pushing it. They do however sell a unit that is rigid mount to the camper and has a single Dolly wheel that pivots 360 in the rear to support the weight. You could either buy or copy one of these. I see them behind campers carrying Gold winds and full dress Harleys. I don't know how to post a link or I would find 1 for you.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

(2)Lincoln 225AC/DC portables, Miller Syncrowave 300, miller sidekick,Lincoln Idealarc 250,Miller 251 Mig, Miller 30A spool gun, Hende lathe, Horizontal bandsaw, pora band ,14FT enclosed trailer.SA200's

There are lifts that are made for the rear of campers that hold a number of things. I have seen a golf cart on the rear of a motrocoach but not a 5th wheel. The golf cart was sitting on 3 2x2 pieces of stock and had a removable ramp so you could load the cart. But he also towed his Jeep Grand Cherokee behind the golf cart.

I did see a Harley full dresser on the back of a 5th wheel the other day. Looked pretty cool hanging back there.

I built my own jet ski rack and have never been happier. I built this thing long before they made those utility haulers for SUV's Just started putting it together. I fabbed it up on paper and started welding. Had to change a few things mid production but it worked out great. It needs no tie downs and pulls a trailer great. Granted mine is only 350 pounds but it also only has one piece of 2x2x.25 steel stock
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I actually built a rack for my ATV to go on the back of the camp trailer. It required so much weight on the tongue to keep the trailer from swaying over 45 mph (200#'s) that I was afraid that trailer frame would buckle in the middle instead of cruising over bumps. My rack did not weigh over 100 pounds and the ATV was only about 300 or so.
    On the bright side it is a nice rack for coolers and bulky lightweight items.

A fifth wheel may be a bit different but I bet the frame is not that sturdy, have to keep the weight down somewhere.
    Some things are just not built to hand the weight.
    Miller 185
    Lincoln Weldanpower 225
    Lincoln 225 buzz box
    Cheap-o C&H 110v (my first welder)

It's too much weight and hangs too far back ( leverage is not you your friend ).

I mocked one up to haul a four wheeler one time, and $hit canned the idea as soon as I set the less than 400 lb quad on the frame.

Not what you want to hear... but it's the truth.

Have you ever seen one? Lots of us have thought of it.
    Last edited by daddy; 02-05-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: final thought.

You would be much better served by getting a single axle trailer barely big enough to fit the golf cart to hitch behind the 5th wheel. Set up the golf cart with a hitch ball on it so if you do manage to get in a situation you MUST back up you can throw the ramp down unload the cart and use it to clear the trailer of the scene ASAP
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

There are a couple companies that make what was discussed earlier with the single wheel, basically a fixed platform that mounts to the rear of the 5th wheel, the wheel takes the load off the bumper(to a point) but due to its being fixed to the camper, it's not considered a secondary trailer so it's legal in all states as far as I'm aware..

http://www.cruiserlift.com/Swivelwheel.htm